Renting/Buying in Des Moines/Huxley/Ames area

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
I will be soon taking a job that will require me to move to the Des Moines area. I'm either looking to rent or buy...Preferably not in the middle of the city, but either in one of the small towns around Des Moines or in the country somewhere close. If I buy, I'd love for it to be outside city limits if possible. Budget for buying is definitely lower than 200K, and ideal would probably be around 150K. Anyone know any really good realtors in this area to check out?

Any advice in general would be more than welcome. Thanks, and Go Cyclones!

EDIT: Probably going to rent for awhile before buying.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Rent, never buy when first moving to a new area. Make sure the job is right, the area is right and scope out the area a little. Much happier long run if you rent temporarily.

Reactions: isu2014 and Stormin

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’m not saying it’s impossible, but you’re going to have issues getting a decent house outside of town at that price point. Most are sitting on acreages which are running 250+ for a normal ranch or two story home.

There are a lot of people looking for what you’re looking for in that area, so it doesn’t come cheap.

My advice is to rent with adding a 60 day notice clause and keeping your eyes peeled for something to buy. I haven’t had any issues adding that to a lease in the past. I’ve needed it with how much I’ve moved and how little notice I get sometimes. Finding what you want in that price range will probably take awhile.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I will be soon taking a job that will require me to move to the Des Moines area. I'm either looking to rent or buy...Preferably not in the middle of the city, but either in one of the small towns around Des Moines or in the country somewhere close. If I buy, I'd love for it to be outside city limits if possible. Budget for buying is definitely lower than 200K, and ideal would probably be around 150K. Anyone know any really good realtors in this area to check out?

I’m not sure what things go for in Ames, but you’ll have a hard time getting anything in a suburb for 150, let alone an acreage.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Take the advice to rent first with the 60 day notice to terminate. Good advice.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
There is quite a bit of new construction in Huxley and google tells me some of it is right around the $200,000 mark.

You might find something more what you are looking for south, near Carlisle, Norwalk, or Indianola.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
IIf the job is in Des Moines you really should look at renting in one of the suburbs. That will give you the idea of what paying a monthly mortgage will be like as it isn't cheap, especially on your own. Also most of the suburbs are a 20 minute drive to anything in actual Des Moines. I had a 150k budget when I was looking for a house 3 years ago. I ended up spending 160K just because what I required (3bed 2bath 2stall garage) was impossible to find at that price in a good area. I full expect my next house with similar requirements to what you're after to cost 300k+. This is a commuter area, so you really need to find out what kind of drive time you can tolerate, I live in Ankeny and my commute to downtown is ~20 minutes. I could probably push that to 30/40 and still be happy, but I know my fiance would kill me if it was anything longer than 30 minutes for her to get to her job.

JerseyGirl

Jun 12, 2013
Central Iowa
Another consideration to keep in mind (in the area mentioned) are utilities costs. In parts of northern Ankeny there are different electric service providers on different sides of the street, with very different rates. Internet, cable choices can also be limited too.

Reactions: isu2014

Help Support Us

Become a patron