2018 Maui Tournament

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Did you see the lineup for the Maui tourney we are playing in next year (11/19 - 11/21)?

Arizona
Auburn
Duke
Gonzaga
Illinois
Iowa State
San Diego State
Xavier

Daaammmnnnn. Thankfully we should be on another level next year.

Would still love to play in Atlantis some year. Love that resort.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Did you see the lineup for the Maui tourney we are playing in next year (11/19 - 11/21)?

Arizona
Auburn
Duke
Gonzaga
Illinois
Iowa State
San Diego State
Xavier

Daaammmnnnn. Thankfully we should be on another level next year.

Would still love to play in Atlantis some year. Love that resort.

Seeding programs I'd expect a 4-5 game w/ Xavier, winner getting Duke in the semis.

• Agree
Reactions: WastedTalent

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Any advice on lead-time for booking Hotel and buying game tix? Is this one of those scenarios where you gotta book (and pay in advance) for your hotel 1-yr in advance? When will game tix go on sale?

• Agree
Reactions: Dormeezy

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Any advice on lead-time for booking Hotel and buying game tix? Is this one of those scenarios where you gotta book (and pay in advance) for your hotel 1-yr in advance? When will game tix go on sale?

I got an email today saying it's all exclusively being handled by one travel agency. So your options will be limited. Big donors will have first opportunity to purchase the packages for two weeks, beginning in January. No $$$ info yet. I'm guessing not cheap.

Sales to non-big donor Cyclone Club members and MBB season ticket holders begins 29 January.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Go2Guy

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I researched a couple of this past years teams- Notre Dame and Michigan since they are similar distance as us..... the packages were about $3,000 per person and did include hotel, transfers, game tickets but did not include airfare.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I researched a couple of this past years teams- Notre Dame and Michigan since they are similar distance as us..... the packages were about $3,000 per person and did include hotel, transfers, game tickets but did not include airfare.

Thanks for the info. I was going to ask if anyone had a ballpark estimate on the prices.

gbjames5

Oct 4, 2017
As someone who has spent 6-8 weeks on Maui the last three winters I will attempt to offer some tips. Number one is if you can swing the time try to stay for at least a week. It's a long way out there and there is a lot to see and do. November shouldn't be a "busy" time in Maui although Thanksgiving week might be. I wouldn't be hesitant to book my own "package" for this trip. You will find many vacation rentals with kitchens that will be way cheaper than the "upper crust" hotels. You'll save a lot of $$ if you limit your restaurant meals to one a day.

With the damage in the Caribbean this year, occupancy is up for this winter and car rentals are markedly higher. Hopefully this changes by next fall. It's very easy to get around on Maui and it really is a necessity to have a car as the public transportation system is not designed for touring.

The tournament is in Lahaina which is in what is called West Maui. You should be aware that Lahaina addresses run pretty much that whole coast from Lahaina town through Kaanapali and Kapalua. We stay in Kihei which is about 20 miles south of Lahaina town (maybe 45 minutes by car though).

If anyone has questions I'll be happy to try to help!

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
As someone who has spent 6-8 weeks on Maui the last three winters I will attempt to offer some tips. Number one is if you can swing the time try to stay for at least a week. It's a long way out there and there is a lot to see and do. November shouldn't be a "busy" time in Maui although Thanksgiving week might be. I wouldn't be hesitant to book my own "package" for this trip. You will find many vacation rentals with kitchens that will be way cheaper than the "upper crust" hotels. You'll save a lot of $$ if you limit your restaurant meals to one a day.

With the damage in the Caribbean this year, occupancy is up for this winter and car rentals are markedly higher. Hopefully this changes by next fall. It's very easy to get around on Maui and it really is a necessity to have a car as the public transportation system is not designed for touring.

The tournament is in Lahaina which is in what is called West Maui. You should be aware that Lahaina addresses run pretty much that whole coast from Lahaina town through Kaanapali and Kapalua. We stay in Kihei which is about 20 miles south of Lahaina town (maybe 45 minutes by car though).

If anyone has questions I'll be happy to try to help!
Wife and I spent 5 days on Maui last January- we put 715 Miles on our rental car! We were all over that b!

gbjames5

Oct 4, 2017
Wife and I spent 5 days on Maui last January- we put 715 Miles on our rental car! We were all over that b!
Good job man! You covered a lot of ground. Hopefully next time you get some down time, but you should check out the other islands too - maybe you have. They all have their own character along with the similarities.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

How many nights?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Wish I wouldn’t have gotten sucked in to all of those timeshareexit.com commercials during football season!

cbclone16

Dec 9, 2016
If you're going to visit the best 'tour guide' is a book called Maui Revealed. It gives you tips on everything from food, snorkeling, hiking, and everything you would want to see. Well worth the investment.

As a previous poster stated, you may find cheaper lodging in Kihei rather than Lahaina. It's not that bad of a drive and it is right along the ocean. Kahului wouldn't be that bad of a drive, but it is not a scenic as Kihei.

I'm not sure if they still do this, but they used to sell tickets to locals at different local shops (this was before it became Maui JIm). They were dirt cheap, but if you knew someone who lived there it would be worth asking.

• Agree
Reactions: LostinIowaCity

gbjames5

Oct 4, 2017
If you're going to visit the best 'tour guide' is a book called Maui Revealed. It gives you tips on everything from food, snorkeling, hiking, and everything you would want to see. Well worth the investment.

As a previous poster stated, you may find cheaper lodging in Kihei rather than Lahaina. It's not that bad of a drive and it is right along the ocean. Kahului wouldn't be that bad of a drive, but it is not a scenic as Kihei.

I'm not sure if they still do this, but they used to sell tickets to locals at different local shops (this was before it became Maui JIm). They were dirt cheap, but if you knew someone who lived there it would be worth asking.

The Maui Revealed is a great book, but the locals hate it because it takes you to some places where you are on sketchy ground with restricted access. Having said that, we use it all the time as a great resource. You can also find a lot of information on TripAdvisor.com - be sure to check out the Q and A in the forum section.

I saw where someone was thinking the package could approach $3,000 per person not including air! For $6,000 a couple you should be able to stay 3-4 weeks renting a nice condo, including air and a car. Unless the BB tickets are $1,500 a piece!

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
The Maui Revealed is a great book, but the locals hate it because it takes you to some places where you are on sketchy ground with restricted access. Having said that, we use it all the time as a great resource. You can also find a lot of information on TripAdvisor.com - be sure to check out the Q and A in the forum section.

I saw where someone was thinking the package could approach $3,000 per person not including air! For $6,000 a couple you should be able to stay 3-4 weeks renting a nice condo, including air and a car. Unless the BB tickets are $1,500 a piece!
Yeah, 3k/person seems like a lot for no air.

• Funny
Reactions: cyclonenation5

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron