When will Jacob Park return to ISU Football

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This is ridiculously stupid. We should probably bench Donovan Jackson because Lewis or Long really could use the experience. Winning be damned and all but we should be better next year if Jackson isn't taking up valuable developmental minutes.

Probably should've passed on having Lanning be a linebacker for a year as well. I mean, someone younger could've stepped into the spot and we'd have been better off in the long run. Yeah we might not have won a couple games but think about the games we'd win in the future with all that extra experience!

Who said that? If Park is the best player and wins the competition, so be it. If Zeb beats him out, even better as we could have a 3 year starter on our hands.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
This is ridiculously stupid. We should probably bench Donovan Jackson because Lewis or Long really could use the experience. Winning be damned and all but we should be better next year if Jackson isn't taking up valuable developmental minutes.

Probably should've passed on having Lanning be a linebacker for a year as well. I mean, someone younger could've stepped into the spot and we'd have been better off in the long run. Yeah we might not have won a couple games but think about the games we'd win in the future with all that extra experience!
JSB has her favorites, and Park isn’t one of them.

• Dislike
Reactions: aauummm

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
We have had 4 players "under center" this year....2 of which we are losing to graduation.

So why would anyone want to see ISU lose a another QB this year?

You can never have too many skilled QBs which ISU has shown this year. Also, a sign of good program is stockpiling talent and keeping competition very high across all position groups where no job is safe.

If the coaches want Park to return than I think fans should want that too.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ExCyment

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Simmer down. If he is back and he wins the starting spot that's fine. But I don't know if that is the best thing for the team. I haven't seen much that tells me that Park is the second coming of Jesus like some of you seem to think. The tie, for me, would go to Zeb since he still would have 3 years with the program. Not to mention that I'd hate for another year of drama and leaving the team.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and Nihawk

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Simmer down. If he is back and he wins the starting spot that's fine. But I don't know if that is the best thing for the team. I haven't seen much that tells me that Park is the second coming of Jesus like some of you seem to think. The tie, for me, would go to Zeb since he still would have 3 years with the program. Not to mention that I'd hate for another year of drama and leaving the team.
So you must have hated Fred taking Royce White? The drama he caused in Minneapolis proves he was going to be too much drama to deal with in Ames.

You post as if you know something about the program when you're just throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks. What's best for the team? You don't have a damn clue. For all fans know Noland is a total **** and his teammates hate him and they love Park (the exact opposite could be also true).

What I do know is this:
Points given up in losses started by Jacob Park
KSU: 31 (19/35, 201, 2 TD, 1 INT)
OU: 34 (16/29, 160, 2 TD)
WVU: 49 (23/44, 371, 1 INT)

2017:
IA: 44 (25/46, 347, 4 TD, 1 INT)
TX: 17 (24/48, 246, 1 TD, 3 INT)

While the Iowa INT was very poorly timed, I can blame exactly 1 loss on Park's play (Texas) and even then it's tough. We had the brilliant idea of trying to throw down the field behind a line that couldn't hold a pocket and took 5? sacks and a ton of hurries. We also apparently forgot we had David Montgomery.

Points given up in ISU wins in 2017 (P5 only)
OU: 31
KU: 0
Tech: 13
TCU: 7
WVU: 20
OSU: 49

Point? It's really, really easy to look like a great QB when you have a great defensive effort the same game. I'm not going to say we'd be 9-3 or 5-7 with Park taking the snaps instead, but you could definitely make an argument we'd have a better record considering apparently the coaches for the first 4 games thought he was the best QB on the team.

• Creative
  • Agree
Reactions: aauummm and cuphues

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This isn't as easy as a lot on here seem to think it is. Of course as a fan you want to have as many good QBs on your roster as you can, but that doesn't always mean it's best for the team.
I have no idea what the situation was, but it felt at the time like not a lot of players missed having Park around when he left. Team unity and chemistry seemed to improve after he left IMO.

So, skipping ahead to next season, what if there is a large faction of the team that still does not want to see him back? Would he be a cancer? What if bringing Park back makes Zeb Noland transfer out for example?

Hopefully if he does come back none of this will be the case, and the team will welcome him back and all will be well again. That would be ideal, but may not be the case.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
This isn't as easy as a lot on here seem to think it is. Of course as a fan you want to have as many good QBs on your roster as you can, but that doesn't always mean it's best for the team.

I have no idea what the situation was, but it felt at the time like not a lot of players missed having Park around when he left. Team unity and chemistry seemed to improve after he left IMO.

So, skipping ahead to next season, what if there is a large faction of the team that still does not want to see him back? Would he be a cancer? What if bringing Park back makes Zeb Noland transfer out for example?

Hopefully if he does come back none of this will be the case, and the team will welcome him back and all will be well again. That would be ideal, but may not be the case.
Unless you're sitting in the locker room you don't know anything about the team chemistry...good or bad. Team chemistry looks great when teams are winning. Team chemistry looks bad when teams lose. The basketball team's chemistry seemed great during the Big 12 tournament in 2015 and we all know what happened in the tournament. What changed? The chemistry was fine when the team was winning but Bryce Dejean-Jones was a cancer for the UAB game? I somehow doubt that is the case.

Players not commenting on anything related to Park isn't a sign that they don't care for him. I'm guessing Campbell requested players/staff not comment on the subject. You're just looking for a reason to go after a kid that (in your words) you know nothing about.

I don't think Park with his college courses, young child and baby mama is going to be able to complete concentrate on Football.
So just like Royce White?

Can Kamari Cotton-Moya not play football because his daughter is in California and on his mind?

Right or wrong, there are a TON of college athletes with kids/baby mama drama.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Unless you're sitting in the locker room you don't know anything about the team chemistry...good or bad. Team chemistry looks great when teams are winning. Team chemistry looks bad when teams lose. The basketball team's chemistry seemed great during the Big 12 tournament in 2015 and we all know what happened in the tournament. What changed? The chemistry was fine when the team was winning but Bryce Dejean-Jones was a cancer for the UAB game? I somehow doubt that is the case.

Players not commenting on anything related to Park isn't a sign that they don't care for him. I'm guessing Campbell requested players/staff not comment on the subject. You're just looking for a reason to go after a kid that (in your words) you know nothing about.

Can Kamari Cotton-Moya not play football because his daughter is in California and on his mind?

I did preface my OPINION that I had no idea what the situation actually was, so the first sentence of your post is meaningless because I basically admitted to not being in the locker room and knowing what was really going on.

All I'm trying to say is that none of us likely know what was going on, or might still be going on, or might still be going on into next season inside that locker room. So for anyone to just assume it will be best for him to come back because we need as many good QBs as we can get on the roster might not be factoring in other things.... like team chemistry for example.

If, for example, we gained Park, but lost Noland in the process, I'd consider that an overall negative.

• Agree

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017

Not an attack on very young people with kids. Being a division one athlete is a lot of work for anyone, now throw in a Child and a baby mama. That is a lot of pressure on a young adult.

Royce had his issues....... I bet Kamari is thinking about his kid, but they are not interfering in his daily routine, because he is not taking care of the day to day issues of a child, which Park has too.

Also being a P5 QB involves a lot of preparation. I think Zeb will be able to put more time towards football and will be more focused on being a better QB. I think Park, if he comes back will be a solid backup.

• Funny
Reactions: ExCyment

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
As for the comments on Parks return creating a situation where Noland leaves....Don't see it happening.

Noland got his feet wet as a freshman, which most QBs don't, and I think that gives him a clear perspective of what's ahead of him. Campbell obviously will have an open QB competition for the spot. Even if Zeb doesn't win the 2018 job, he knows he's 1 play away from being right back in there.

I don't know Zeb's situation(parents/etc), but I got a feeling he's going to get better advice than say Phillip Bates did. And unlike Bates, Zeb's main competitor is a guy who's graduation clock is ticking. Bates was a FR, Arnaud was a Soph. Appears Bates saw the move as permanent for the next 3 years.

Speaking of Bates... the week after he quit, Arnaud hurt his F'ing throwing shoulder. Bates would have gotten a lot of snaps the next few weeks.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Are you guys Ace Ventura? Because a lot of you are talking out of your ass.

We have no idea what the situation was, so stop trying to speculate and create your own ******** narrative.

The team is better with two talented and experienced qbs next year. We'd be lucky to have both Zeb and Jacob next year, whatever the roles are.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Hoping he is back around the team and travels to the bowl game. Doesn’t even have to suit up, but just to have that bonding experience with teammates could be very good for him.

Ideally, he gets a fresh start going into Spring Ball and wins the job. He has the best arm talent on the team. It would give Zeb another year and would let him learn and be able to take over his last two years of college.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Not an attack on very young people with kids. Being a division one athlete is a lot of work for anyone, now throw in a Child and a baby mama. That is a lot of pressure on a young adult.

Royce had his issues....... I bet Kamari is thinking about his kid, but they are not interfering in his daily routine, because he is not taking care of the day to day issues of a child, which Park has too.

Also being a P5 QB involves a lot of preparation. I think Zeb will be able to put more time towards football and will be more focused on being a better QB. I think Park, if he comes back will be a solid backup.

Why can't people let Park and the coaches worry about the details of his life and if he can handle football, school, and a family. This truly is none of our ******* business.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Hoping he is back around the team and travels to the bowl game. Doesn’t even have to suit up, but just to have that bonding experience with teammates could be very good for him.

Ideally, he gets a fresh start going into Spring Ball and wins the job. He has the best arm talent on the team. It would give Zeb another year and would let him learn and be able to take over his last two years of college.

I think best case scenario is he travels to the bowl and suits up in the case of emergency. That's probably it. He has a chance to be around the team and practice knowing he isn't going to play, which will give a much better indication of how into the program he is.

To me, the comments today, mainly the follow-up with fans and supports is a great first step toward getting back. It wasn't just some token comment. Once people replied, he interacted.

• Optimistic

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
For Jacob Park's sake, I hope he returns to the team as soon as possible. As far as the team, I have a hard time seeing how Park getting through his issues and successfully rejoing the team can have a negative effect. I feel like he's going to have to prove a lot to the staff to get back, if that happens he'll have earned it.

• Agree
Reactions: MJ271 and ExCyment

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
There seems to be a contingent of Cyclone fans that are content to throw Park under the bus. And a misconception that he "quit on the team" and left us in the lurch. I have a feeling if Park could have been out there playing he would have and that whatever happened was serious enough to merit the hiatus.

The kid worked his butt off like the rest of the team and I hope he's back in time to travel to the bowl game, even if he doesn't play.
It's a "what have you done for me lately" situation. Had Park gone out and destroyed Texas, everyone would be dying for his return. Since he was horrible, some couldn't care less

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
It's a "what have you done for me lately" situation. Had Park gone out and destroyed Texas, everyone would be dying for his return. Since he was horrible, some couldn't care less
It wasn't his play that did him in during the Texas game and it wasn't about rather we had won or lost. Rewatch the broadcast. After his televised verbal altercation with Matt, if I were Matt I would have immediately sent him to the locker room and told him to clean out his locker.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron