Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
@cowgirl836 When husband and I watch baseball, and see a ball go between an infielder's legs, husband usually responds with "Oh, you gotta get your tailgate down, son." The thought is that you CAN stand there with your feet spread apart...easier to crouch down to pick up the ball, but you use your backside to keep the ball from going all the way through. (Of course, this is a bit more dangerous for the male players) In short, don't bend at the waist to pick up the ball, bend at your knees.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
@cowgirl836 When husband and I watch baseball, and see a ball go between an infielder's legs, husband usually responds with "Oh, you gotta get your tailgate down, son." The thought is that you CAN stand there with your feet spread apart...easier to crouch down to pick up the ball, but you use your backside to keep the ball from going all the way through. (Of course, this is a bit more dangerous for the male players) In short, don't bend at the waist to pick up the ball, bend at your knees.

I envision this ending with me falling on my ass but I shall keep it in mind :D

Last edited:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I've mentioned my tone-deaf Longhorn sister before. When UT was a perennial power, she would call us after every FB & MBB game to "talk sports" (euphemism for gloat loudly). On the rare occasions when the Cyclones won, the calls would not come (cue surprised look).

UT's recent struggles and their post-retirement move from Austin back to College Station have turned her attention more toward the Aggies, so there is much less "sports talk" from her.

I was mildly surprised to see an email from her this morning simply saying "congrats to your team". Lovely sentiment. :)

The subject line was "Go Iowa".
:confused:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I've mentioned my tone-deaf Longhorn sister before. When UT was a perennial power, she would call us after every FB & MBB game to "talk sports" (euphemism for gloat loudly). On the rare occasions when the Cyclones won, the calls would not come (cue surprised look).

UT's recent struggles and their post-retirement move from Austin back to College Station have turned her attention more toward the Aggies, so there is much less "sports talk" from her.

I was mildly surprised to see an email from her this morning simply saying "congrats to your team". Lovely sentiment. :)

Old co-worker emailed me also. Husker fan, in his 50's, who still carries Sooner hate from the old Big 8 Sooner/Husker rivalry.

Reactions: SCyclone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

I think that was another slam;), after all Ia. did beat the Illini yesterday. So does she actually cheer for both aTm &UT? That's kind of unusual isn't it? In all reality it was nice of her to acknowledge our win over OU.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
She doesn't cheer for both. She didn't "cheer" for UT. She just knew when UT beat us...I doubt if she could have named five players on the team in any given year. She doesn't root for A&M, but now hears more about SEC in the local news that she did in Austin (and in her first few years in CS before A&M defected). Point being, she doesn't give a crap about sports - only that "her" team is better than mine. :)

Regarding the Iowa ISU thing - it's a complete lack of awareness on her part of things outside her sphere. My other sister would understand completely...like me, she went to Wazzu. And we BOTH had to deal with all of the Washington v. Washington State jokes. There is no "Texas State" for UT to mock; it's called Texas A&M. So she doesn't make the connection that calling us Iowa is a BIG no no...despite many many years of me trying to "enlighten" her. There is simply nothing as important as her interests.

She has many many good qualities - chief among them shouldering 99.999% of the health and finances of our father. So I'll let this go by (as always) and give PapaLew an earful instead. ;)

In his defense, he DID offer to reply to the email for me. The good angel on one shoulder overruled the little devil on the other one, and I declined his offer.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Flight went fairly well but we got off to a late start due to needing more fuel and didn't land at Prairie Du Chien because my sister got a headache but we did get to fly up the river and over Guttenberg. @BCClone if you can picture that north facing bluff on the south side of downtown of the park that is pretty much completely gone.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY
Status
Not open for further replies.