Oklahoma Targeting on Lazard During Ryan's TD

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I saw it. Looked like a cheap shot, but good luck getting a targeting call on someone for hitting a player who doesn't have the ball in their hands.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
If I ever saw targeting with intent to harm, it was on that play. The linebacker was clearly beat and he speared Lazard after Lazard completed his block. Dangerous and uncalled for.

Anyone see it differently?
I didn't see it, but one of my buddies texted me about it and sounded pretty pissed, so you are definitely not the only one.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Eh, looked like a hard push. This is a legit cheap shot:
texas-usc-dirty-cheap-shot.gif

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
http://www.espn.com/college-football/video?gameId=400934523

Clip of the play here. Unnecessary as the play was past them by that point, but I would say it's a stretch to say that he "speared" Lazard, looks more like a hard shove to me.

Thanks for clip --- I think play in question starts about 48 second mark. Benefit of doubt: A jarring high-hit, probably not targeting, although I'm not sure why OU defender went for Lazard instead of Ryen, who was actually carrying the ball. Possibly inadvertent focus during flow of the play.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Thanks for clip --- I think play in question starts about 48 second mark. Benefit of doubt: A jarring high-hit, probably not targeting, although I'm not sure why OU defender went for Lazard instead of Ryen, who was actually carrying the ball. Possibly inadvertent focus during flow of the play.
Also the video on that page a bit further down titled "Cyclones snag the lead with 57-yard TD" is specifically of that play with 2 angles and a slow-mo.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
As I posted in another thread Stoops' defense is known for that stuff and in the final ISU drive it cost them at the wrong time when the OU defender punched the ISU receiver.

Reactions: isutrevman

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That was the worst cheap shot I've ever seen. He should've been suspended games in IMHO.
The Big 12 said they took safety seriously after that was trending.
I remember sitting there going how serious do you take it if he's not suspended? What happens if that knee gets shredded?

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
If I ever saw targeting with intent to harm, it was on that play. The linebacker was clearly beat and he speared Lazard after Lazard completed his block. Dangerous and uncalled for.

Anyone see it differently?

O wasn't that bad... Was meant to prob knock him down, but it is football.

Lazard is one bad ass blocking wide receiver. He destroys every single corner he gets. Sets edges. Big advantage.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Every time they show Ryen's TD in highlights you can see that cheap shot.

Combine it with the back-of-the-helmet shove into the ground, and a few other dirty plays ... send the video to the league. Tell OU to clean up the cheap ****.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Every time they show Ryen's TD in highlights you can see that cheap shot.

Combine it with the back-of-the-helmet shove into the ground, and a few other dirty plays ... send the video to the league. Tell OU to clean up the cheap ****.

Our WR blocking is legit all around. Those little swing plays to the outside work extremely well because of that. I'm going to miss Lazard next year for that very reason.

I want to murder Davis for that cheap shot. Still gets my blood boiling.

Reactions: isutrevman

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It was definitely a cheap shot. The OU defender didn't go after Ryen to make the tackle. Instead he hit Lazard in the helmet area while Lazard was blocking another OU defender. IMO another example of OU's undisciplined defense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron