MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
Double or nothing the Cubs make it to the NLCS? Cubs lose to the Nats, you can change your avatar the second they are eliminated. Cubs win, you have to keep a Cubs avatar until the 2018 MLB playoffs begin.

I have been told Harper and Scherzer are good to go. I accept your bet. Once I get a reply from you, the bet is on. The Cubs got up for the Cardinals this year but seemingly struggled with many other teams. Since we embarrassed them for 7 straight years, they wanted to get back at us the last 2 years. However they aren't playing us this series, they are playing..... Daniel ******* Murphy. Have fun getting destroyed.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I have been told Harper and Scherzer are good to go. I accept your bet. Once I get a reply from you, the bet is on. The Cubs got up for the Cardinals this year but seemingly struggled with many other teams. Since we embarrassed them for 7 straight years, they wanted to get back at us the last 2 years. However they aren't playing us this series, they are playing..... Daniel ******* Murphy. Have fun getting destroyed.

Deal

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think we carry all 5 starters, but wouldnt be shocked if we didnt. My guess is 13 position players and 12 pitchers. Although I could see a third catcher or Martin/Freeman being taken on the roster, and Wilson left off for 14 and 11. Im going with 13 and 12 just because our starters have been less reliable this season, and I think we will want the extra pitcher for that reason.

Also, I have to wonder if Rivera gets taken over Avila. We will have more than enough left handed bats off the bench, Rivera has been the better hitter, and I think there is no chance we sign Avila for next season, and I think there is a high chance we take Rivera.

Position Players (13):
Almora Jr.
Avila/Rivera
Baez
Bryant
Contreras
Happ
Heyward
Jay
LaStella
Rizzo
Russell
Schwarber
Zobrist

Pitchers (12):
Arrieta (R)
Hendricks (R)
Lester (L)
Quintana (L)

Davis (R)
Duensing (L)
Edwards Jr (R)
Lackey (R)
Montgomery (L)
Rondon (R)
Strop (R)
Wilson (L)

I think they go 13 and 12 too but Wilson is #12 if they decide to go 14 and 11. I think they go with 12 because of all the lefties the Nats have and if Montgomery gets forced into long relief duty having another lefty in the pen is going to be necessary. I hadn't thought about the Avila vs Rivera scenario. Rivera has been hot since he came to the Cubs and Avila has been OK too but when you think of the 2 you think of Avila as more of a hitting catcher and Rivera as a defensive catcher. I'm sure Joe is going through all the match up possibilities to see who would be the better fit. I don't see them carrying 3 catchers when you can use Schwarber at catcher in an emergency and Contreras being able to play in the field in an emergency as well.

It sounds like there is no doubt that Lackey will make the roster no matter what and that is a good thing considering Arrieta's hamstring and Lester's inconsistent performances plus Quintana has never pitched in the postseason so I think that the bullpen will be used heavily if any starter gets into trouble early. Having both a righty and lefty that can give you multiple innings is a nice luxury to have in the pen. Last year Maddon rode the starters as long as he could, this year I think at the first sign of trouble he won't hesitate to go to the pen that ranked 3rd in all of MLB in BA at .224 and 6th in ERA at 3.80. The Yankees and Dodgers had better bullpens in both aspects, the National's bullpen was 23rd in both though but their starters were 1st and 4th, Cubs were 8th and 7th so getting to the Nats starters is going to be key to winning the series. When it comes to offense the Cubs and Nats have been neck and neck in most key offensive stats. Only seeing Scherzer once is huge but they have to be thinking the same with Arrieta slotted to pitch game 4 as well as he was throwing down the stretch.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I think they go 13 and 12 too but Wilson is #12 if they decide to go 14 and 11. I think they go with 12 because of all the lefties the Nats have and if Montgomery gets forced into long relief duty having another lefty in the pen is going to be necessary. I hadn't thought about the Avila vs Rivera scenario. Rivera has been hot since he came to the Cubs and Avila has been OK too but when you think of the 2 you think of Avila as more of a hitting catcher and Rivera as a defensive catcher. I'm sure Joe is going through all the match up possibilities to see who would be the better fit. I don't see them carrying 3 catchers when you can use Schwarber at catcher in an emergency and Contreras being able to play in the field in an emergency as well.

It sounds like there is no doubt that Lackey will make the roster no matter what and that is a good thing considering Arrieta's hamstring and Lester's inconsistent performances plus Quintana has never pitched in the postseason so I think that the bullpen will be used heavily if any starter gets into trouble early. Having both a righty and lefty that can give you multiple innings is a nice luxury to have in the pen. Last year Maddon rode the starters as long as he could, this year I think at the first sign of trouble he won't hesitate to go to the pen that ranked 3rd in all of MLB in BA at .224 and 6th in ERA at 3.80. The Yankees and Dodgers had better bullpens in both aspects, the National's bullpen was 23rd in both though but their starters were 1st and 4th, Cubs were 8th and 7th so getting to the Nats starters is going to be key to winning the series. When it comes to offense the Cubs and Nats have been neck and neck in most key offensive stats. Only seeing Scherzer once is huge but they have to be thinking the same with Arrieta slotted to pitch game 4 as well as he was throwing down the stretch.

Good stuff, one other point about the Cubs and Nats offensive rankings, the Cubs were way behind the Nats in most categories at the All-Star break. Post All-star break the Cubs have scored 90 more runs than the Nats and have an .811 OPS compared to a .744 OPS for the Nats. Washington has been a very average offensive team for quite a while now.

Reactions: CYdTracked

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Nats Beat Reporter with an update. Hopefully the case so Scherzer only gets 1 start this series.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
So I'm pretty much a neutral in this (at least when it comes to Cubs and Cardinals) but you really can't keep your mouth shut or stop digging that hole, can you?

• Winner
Reactions: HoustonClone

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Nats Beat Reporter with an update. Hopefully the case so Scherzer only gets 1 start this series.

Scherzer skipped his bullpen session for a second straight day today. Definitely more to this that old Dusty was leading on.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
No Hector Rondon for this series:

That's interesting. I don't really see a use for Lackey in this series, but I wouldn't feel comfortable going with Rondon in a high-leverage situation either, and since every playoff inning is a high-leverage situation, I'm not outraged by any means.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
No Hector Rondon for this series:

Interesting. Wonder if Rondon still isn't 100 percent right. I just don't see a use for Lackey. Even if Arrieta is hurt or tweaks something, he's not pitching until game 4. You already have Montgomery for long relief and have Kyle on regular rest game 5.

I just wonder with his volatile personality if they felt it would be a chemistry issue to leave him off. I know he's well though of in the clubhouse and certainly has a veteran presence. However, I'm just not sure you can afford to give us a spot for a veteran presence in the Postseason.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Rondon not on the roster has to mean he is injured. His September line was excellent (7.1 IP, 99P, 24BF, 2H, 0R, 0BB, 10K)

• Agree
Reactions: Clonefan32

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
That's interesting. I don't really see a use for Lackey in this series, but I wouldn't feel comfortable going with Rondon in a high-leverage situation either, and since every playoff inning is a high-leverage situation, I'm not outraged by any means.

Interesting. Wonder if Rondon still isn't 100 percent right. I just don't see a use for Lackey. Even if Arrieta is hurt or tweaks something, he's not pitching until game 4. You already have Montgomery for long relief and have Kyle on regular rest game 5.

I just wonder with his volatile personality if they felt it would be a chemistry issue to leave him off. I know he's well though of in the clubhouse and certainly has a veteran presence. However, I'm just not sure you can afford to give us a spot for a veteran presence in the Postseason.

The reason for Lackey is if Arrieta cant go in Game 4 or if he trots out there and his hamstring issues flare up. You have no idea what Monte's usage will be after the first 3 games of the series and I dont think it does the team any good to hold Monte out of the first 3 games as a precaution to have him available if Jake cant go.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe if a pitcher comes in to replace a pitcher that is injured they get as much time as they need to warm up so the concerns about Lackey being a notoriously slow guy to get loose should not matter.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
The reason for Lackey is if Arrieta cant go in Game 4 or if he trots out there and his hamstring issues flare up. You have no idea what Monte's usage will be after the first 3 games of the series and I dont think it does the team any good to hold Monte out of the first 3 games as a precaution to have him available if Jake cant go.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe if a pitcher comes in to replace a pitcher that is injured they get as much time as they need to warm up so the concerns about Lackey being a notoriously slow guy to get loose should not matter.

I agree he is on there as a backup, but how does the DL work with the playoffs? Essentially, what happens if they decide Jake cant pitch at all; can you not put him on the DL and replace him with Lackey (if they were to keep Lackey off the roster)?

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
I agree he is on there as a backup, but how does the DL work with the playoffs? Essentially, what happens if they decide Jake cant pitch at all; can you not put him on the DL and replace him with Lackey (if they were to keep Lackey off the roster)?

I may be way off but I think if you take Arietta off the roster at this point, he would not be eligible for the NLCS if the Cubs were to make it.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I may be way off but I think if you take Arietta off the roster at this point, he would not be eligible for the NLCS if the Cubs were to make it.

Well you set a new roster for each playoff series (Wild Card, DS, CS, WS), but I have no idea how post season DL stints work.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Well you set a new roster for each playoff series (Wild Card, DS, CS, WS), but I have no idea how post season DL stints work.

I realize that but I think that if you replace someone on your roster for the current series because of injury then they cannot be active for the next series' roster.

Edit--Confirmed this is correct.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...carried-off-field-with-knee-injury/106340504/

"By rule, Nunez is out for the rest of this series and also the next round, if the Red Sox advance. He would be allowed to play in the World Series if Boston makes it that far."

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I realize that but I think that if you replace someone on your roster for the current series because of injury then they cannot be active for the next series' roster.

Edit--Confirmed this is correct.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...carried-off-field-with-knee-injury/106340504/

"By rule, Nunez is out for the rest of this series and also the next round, if the Red Sox advance. He would be allowed to play in the World Series if Boston makes it that far."
Good to know...didn't realize that.

• Agree
Reactions: YeahBuddy

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006

You can't help yourself, can you? Even if you hate the Cubs as much as you seem to, could you think about possibly showing some restraint? "Have fun getting destroyed...." Really?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron