MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Ehh... I don't blame Dusty for this one, it's his hamstring not his arm. Same thing happened to Jake and both of them occurred fairly early in their starts.

Maybe not this injury, but Baker definitely overworks pitchers. Scherzer averaged just a tad over 100 pitches per start this season. Scherzers next three starts after the Nats clinched, he threw 116, 112, and 87 pitches. The Nationals have 3 pitchers in the Top 10 of pitches per game in all of MLB this season. Add in Starsburg, who has a history of injury, and they have 4 starters in the Top 24.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Maybe not this injury, but Baker definitely overworks pitchers. Scherzer averaged just a tad over 100 pitches per start this season. Scherzers next three starts after the Nats clinched, he threw 116, 112, and 87 pitches. The Nationals have 3 pitchers in the Top 10 of pitches per game in all of MLB this season. Add in Starsburg, who has a history of injury, and they have 4 starters in the Top 24.

Definitely agree with your overall point. The Nats, and I think the Red Sox, had far and away the most 100 pitch starts this year. Hopefully he sticks with his starters too long in the NLDS and the Cubs can make them pay.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Definitely agree with your overall point. The Nats, and I think the Red Sox, had far and away the most 100 pitch starts this year. Hopefully he sticks with his starters too long in the NLDS and the Cubs can make them pay.

Oh Im sure he will; even with the "upgrades" the Nats made to the bullpen, they still are a bottom third MLB bullpen. Dusty traditionally does not like to use the bullpen in the playoffs. It why the Nats would never scare me in a 7 game series. In a shorter series, where you're seeing one starter twice, its not the same. Thats why Scherzer only pitching one game is big.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Predictions for the Cubs' roster? All 5 starters or an extra bat and some flexibility in the field?

I think we carry all 5 starters, but wouldnt be shocked if we didnt. My guess is 13 position players and 12 pitchers. Although I could see a third catcher or Martin/Freeman being taken on the roster, and Wilson left off for 14 and 11. Im going with 13 and 12 just because our starters have been less reliable this season, and I think we will want the extra pitcher for that reason.

Also, I have to wonder if Rivera gets taken over Avila. We will have more than enough left handed bats off the bench, Rivera has been the better hitter, and I think there is no chance we sign Avila for next season, and I think there is a high chance we take Rivera.

Position Players (13):
Almora Jr.
Avila/Rivera
Baez
Bryant
Contreras
Happ
Heyward
Jay
LaStella
Rizzo
Russell
Schwarber
Zobrist

Pitchers (12):
Arrieta (R)
Hendricks (R)
Lester (L)
Quintana (L)

Davis (R)
Duensing (L)
Edwards Jr (R)
Lackey (R)
Montgomery (L)
Rondon (R)
Strop (R)
Wilson (L)

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I think we carry all 5 starters, but wouldnt be shocked if we didnt. My guess is 13 position players and 12 pitchers. Although I could see a third catcher or Martin/Freeman being taken on the roster, and Wilson left off for 14 and 11. Im going with 13 and 12 just because our starters have been less reliable this season, and I think we will want the extra pitcher for that reason.

Also, I have to wonder if Rivera gets taken over Avila. We will have more than enough left handed bats off the bench, Rivera has been the better hitter, and I think there is no chance we sign Avila for next season, and I think there is a high chance we take Rivera.

Position Players (13):
Almora Jr.
Avila/Rivera
Baez
Bryant
Contreras
Happ
Heyward
Jay
LaStella
Rizzo
Russell
Schwarber
Zobrist

Pitchers (12):
Arrieta (R)
Hendricks (R)
Lester (L)
Quintana (L)

Davis (R)
Duensing (L)
Edwards Jr (R)
Lackey (R)
Montgomery (L)
Rondon (R)
Strop (R)
Wilson (L)

Seems about right, I think you take Lackey just for the Arrieta start. If Jake has a hamstring issue, the Cubs don't really have the bullpen to go 8 innings, Montgomery being the only real multi-inning guy. Lackey gives you another option who can go 2-3 innings. The last spot probably comes down to Wilson/Rivera/Martin, with Martin being a long shot. You make a good point about Rivera, he's put up an over .900 OPS since coming over and he's a very solid defensive catcher.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
@CyJack13 has the idea. A 2nd long relief guy, and especially insurance if Jake's hamstring is trouble.

It only works if Lackey can pitch after a short warmup. From what I've read from Jesse Rogers of ESPN, Lackey takes a very long time to warm up.

Also, Montgomery would be the guy you'd want to pitch in that scenario anyway. If the Cubs need two longmen in this series, the Cubs are probably ****** regardless of whether Lackey is on the roster.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Furthermore, I believe the Cubs could leave Lackey off the roster and if Arrieta gets hurt, they could bring in Quintana/Lester to continue that game and replace Arieta with Lackey, who would start the following game.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

I figured we would go L-R-L-R or R-L-R-L depending on when Arrieta would come back, but no complaints. Hendricks Game 1 is what you SHOULD do, although Id like to see him pitch at Wrigley to help us keep Washington in the park. Hopefully Arrieta is OK, because a bad Arrieta pitching a possible elimination Game 4 scares me.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Why would we bring five starters for a five game series? What value does Lackey have out of the bullpen?

So you don't take Lackey, who or you taking instead Pena? Grimm? It's not the Cubs have a logjam or great bullpen options for that spot anyway. It's not a bad thing to have another guy who can go multiple innings in case of an extra inning game anyway.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Would love to give Lackey the chance to finish his career playing in October again, especially with the success he's had. But I just don't think there's room for him and sometimes it's not all about being nice.

Jesse Rogers see's one bullpen spot coming down to Wilson, Lackey, and Grim.

Honestly, I give it to Wilson, and think we'd be crazy not to. Do I love him as a reliever? No. But he's given up 1 run his last 7 appearances and has been a strikeout machine as of late.

On top of that, since August 20th, he's appeared in 16 games and given up a run in just 4 of them, and since becoming a Cub, has only allowed more than 1 run once.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Would love to give Lackey the chance to finish his career playing in October again, especially with the success he's had. But I just don't think there's room for him and sometimes it's not all about being nice.

Jesse Rogers see's one bullpen spot coming down to Wilson, Lackey, and Grim.

Honestly, I give it to Wilson, and think we'd be crazy not to. Do I love him as a reliever? No. But he's given up 1 run his last 7 appearances and has been a strikeout machine as of late.

On top of that, since August 20th, he's appeared in 16 games and given up a run in just 4 of them, and since becoming a Cub, has only allowed more than 1 run once.

It wouldn't be surprising to see Wilson on the roster, I mean it's pretty shocking that he's even put himself in this position. He was supposed to be a bigtime set up guy and instead he's a fringe roster guy. Wilson has an ERA over 8.00 and a WHIP of over 2.00 for the last month with opponents putting up an OPS of over .900 against him. He's walked 10 out of the last 38 batters he's faced. In his last high leverage appearance he was pulled mid at bat after throwing six balls in seven pitches. It certainly wouldn't be crazy to leave a guy putting up those numbers off of the roster.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron