In memoriam of Brian Ferentz as Iowa's OC

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
lol at the Iowa fans on here trying to spin this as a good hire. This is a terrible hire on paper. He could be successful but everything indicates Iowa having the same offense as the previous 15 years of the Ferentz regime.
Is there a way to make it so Hawk trolls negative reps don't count against you? Apparently what I said makes our resident Hawk trolls angry.

• Funny
Reactions: SECyclone

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Nevermind, see it out there now. Good find. Glad about Kennedy, didn't think White did too bad.

I think White may have been involved in the debacle with the TX recruits, could be wrong though.

Kennedy was involved with that and our WR's are not very good.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
ISU fans still trying to play the SOS argument, when the argument goes against them.

I'm always surprised at the innumeracy of the fan base from a supposed engineering school.

Good luck on 3 wins again next year. Storm is brewing.

3 wins in the non con and more in the conference schedule we'll be happy.

Reactions: CloneLawman

UnbiasedHawk

Jul 6, 2013
Serious question, are the sane Hawkeye fans on here happy with this hire?
I'm a big fan of it. If people are thinking Brian is a KF clone and/or puppet they are way off IMO. He's actually the one person that can get KF to make changes. Of course there isn't going to be some big overhall of the offense, but the Greg Davis passing game never jived with the running game. The running game has always been a strength and will continue to be one. I think Brian will be able to incorporate a passing game that is more of a complement to the running game.

Just thinking back to the KOK passing offense, the middle of the field was used a ton. Play action to the TE was used over and over and over. Greg didn't know the middle of the field even existed. All the horizontal stuff was completely brought in by Greg. Sure there were bubble screens and things like that before him, but nowhere near the short stuff that has happened over the past few years.

I think Brian will take things back towards the KOK model (e.g., use the center of the field, get the TEs more involved, keep the safties more honest, etc.), but put his own stamp on it. His time with the Patriots is probably being talked up too much, but there's no doubt he had to pick up some things while spending time there with Belichek and O'Brien. And he clearly knows the running game inside and out.

I think I'd honestly be excited for the hire even if his last name wasn't Ferentz.

• Agree
Reactions: ICHawk24

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Serious question, are the sane Hawkeye fans on here happy with this hire?

Sure thing. Much better than what we had. And for the Iowa fans who are Kirk haters and naysayers, well if this does not work out, then in 4 years or so both Kirk and Brian will be out, so they would not have Kirk around to fill out the rest of his 9 years. If it works out then great, they can still hate his last name but probably suck it up and like the success. There are just some people who dislike Kirk and nothing he does would make them happy. Looks also like we will be adding a new WR coach, a new RB / ST coach and maybe a QB coach. So not small changes personnel wise on offense side. I don't see any downside to this. Our offense was damn near the bottom last year in all of college football. And at least we know Brian is likely committed to the school if successful here. Don't see him jumping ship if things go well. So if you are implying Iowa fans who like this decision are not sane then I would beg to differ.

ICHawk24

Sep 8, 2010
Argument goes against us? Sure ISU didn't help the Iowa SOS, but that doesn't mean Iowa played more than a handful of decent teams.

Sagarin ranks Iowa schedule 33rd in the country. Massey 37th. Similarly ranked to ISU, where you won 3 games and Iowa won 8.

Same old story, Iowa wins 8, ISU wins 3, and ISU fans crow about a storm brewing.

• Winner
Reactions: hawxrox09

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Sagarin ranks Iowa schedule 33rd in the country. Massey 37th. Similarly ranked to ISU, where you won 3 games and Iowa won 8.

Same old story, Iowa wins 8, ISU wins 3, and ISU fans crow about a storm brewing.

You guys played in a conference where defense was optional. I could only imagine what Park would have done with that schedule

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Iowa's currently not in the top 100 in total offense but hey, Brian did well in his Super Bowl so all is well with him!

The thing is, he's one of 3 on staff with OC experience. Kirk can explain this all away by saying he didn't give BF full rein this season.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'm a big fan of it. If people are thinking Brian is a KF clone and/or puppet they are way off IMO. He's actually the one person that can get KF to make changes. Of course there isn't going to be some big overhall of the offense, but the Greg Davis passing game never jived with the running game. The running game has always been a strength and will continue to be one. I think Brian will be able to incorporate a passing game that is more of a complement to the running game.

Just thinking back to the KOK passing offense, the middle of the field was used a ton. Play action to the TE was used over and over and over. Greg didn't know the middle of the field even existed. All the horizontal stuff was completely brought in by Greg. Sure there were bubble screens and things like that before him, but nowhere near the short stuff that has happened over the past few years.

I think Brian will take things back towards the KOK model (e.g., use the center of the field, get the TEs more involved, keep the safties more honest, etc.), but put his own stamp on it. His time with the Patriots is probably being talked up too much, but there's no doubt he had to pick up some things while spending time there with Belichek and O'Brien. And he clearly knows the running game inside and out.

I think I'd honestly be excited for the hire even if his last name wasn't Ferentz.

Lol

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Seems a little early to declare victory, but funny none the less.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Seems a little early to declare victory, but funny none the less.

We're almost halfway through the season and it looks like he really only prepared for one game so far. I never understood why Iowa fans were excited about the hire in the first place.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
We're almost halfway through the season and it looks like he really only prepared for one game so far. I never understood why Iowa fans were excited about the hire in the first place.
Because they get a boner over every hire

breck53

Aug 29, 2008
And I’m really impressed with your OC game plan the other night-epic!!