saturday FB report

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Its not that hard to block on x-tra points or punts. Just put your head down and aim for their knees for the blockers. You usually take them out or they protect them selves by putting their hands on your back, therefore they cant throw their hands up to block it. Not too hard, IMO.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
I like hearing this! Speed!!!

- Sedrick Johnson showed his open field speed, taking a screen at the line-of-scrimmage from QB Jerome Tiller on the second play and out-running the defense for a 72-yard run to put the offense inside the 5-yard line.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Its not that hard to block on x-tra points or punts. Just put your head down and aim for their knees for the blockers. You usually take them out or they protect them selves by putting their hands on your back, therefore they cant throw their hands up to block it. Not too hard, IMO.
Illegal to block below the waist on a punt.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
My God. I read all of this and get incredibly excited - and just as confused. What is our starting/primary backfield going to look like? We're less than two weeks out and it could be Bates/Bass or Arnuad/Robinson - or some combination. And Tiller may yet still be in the mix. Then next year we insert Bo Williams while Bass runs out of elgibility. And the receiving corps - good grief - Carlson, Darks, Johnson, etc etc etc...

I try to dampen my optimism, but I can't. If we are even close at assessing the skills and talents of these guys, we've got some very big seasons coming up. 2008 is going to tell us an awful lot about the future of this program. YEAH BABY! I can't take much more of this preseason.

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
I am excited about the way our offensing is coming together. But what does that say about our defense? I know, I shouldn't worry, but I am the kind of person that always thinks the glass if half empty too.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Series 1
- QB Phillip Bates completed his only two passes,

DB Chris Singleton deflected a pass that DB James Smith nearly picked off.

who threw this ball? some trickery? or did this one end up being caught by the O

hi54st8

May 18, 2008
It was a great night up there. A few observations from our seats on the east-side of the stadium:
1. The new turf (grass) looks awesome. The West Side Skyboxes are very impressive!
2. The two qb’s looked good. Although I still feel AA looks more the part. Bates’s TD to Carlson may have been a touch under-thrown and Johnson may have miss-timed his jump – a GREAT catch by Carlson.
3. The play calling when Bates was in was all (but the TD above) short routes, 5-10 yd passes. AA was throwing the ball deep. (er) My feeling is AA looks more the part and clearly was given the opportunity (by design or not) to throw the ball down the field. His 29 yd throw across the middle was a ROPE!
4. Schwartz is a player. The D had a hard time bringing him down (until he twisted his knee)
5. We had far more blocked FG’s than ones that made it close to the endzone. Most because the ball was too low and too much surge up the middle. Zach did nail a 45+ yard FG after Mahoney had is blocked . The bottom line on the Kicking game is going to resemble the Lottery – It may not happen often but when it does it’s going to feel Great!
6. ARob and Scales basically didn’t play. Bass looked good, Schwartz looked tough, and I think when given his chance Jason Harris is going to do some great things – great speed around the ends. We may all be saying he’s another guy that got pigeon-holed by Mac
7. The O’line clearly dominated the D'line.
8. Tiller scrambled too much. He’s got talent, but he’s a long ways away.
The bottom line was it was incredible to be there (and you all should join the Gridiron Club) and Thursday the 28th can’t come soon enough!

Reactions: kingcy

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
We may all be saying he’s another guy that got pigeon-holed by Mac

I won't say that after I watched him fumble all those times. And it's not as if Chizik played him last Fall, despite Jason's big run that Spring.

Still, I wish Jason all the best. Just not gonna jump on Mac any more--that should all be dead and buried.

hi54st8

May 18, 2008
One more thing....STOP reading into who is getting mentioned and who is playing. There were several true freshan playing on bothsides of the ball that I can almost guarantee won't play (or have significant) playing time. I was hoping to see Darks play and I don't think he saw the field. Coach C came over afterwards and talked to the group. He even stated that they played a lot of 'young guys'. It's nice to see these write ups but I wouldn't base what you read and who is on the field next Thursday. ...it's going to be a GREAT year!

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
One more thing....STOP reading into who is getting mentioned and who is playing. There were several true freshan playing on bothsides of the ball that I can almost guarantee won't play (or have significant) playing time. I was hoping to see Darks play and I don't think he saw the field. Coach C came over afterwards and talked to the group. He even stated that they played a lot of 'young guys'. It's nice to see these write ups but I wouldn't base what you read and who is on the field next Thursday. ...it's going to be a GREAT year!
hey, did you see that tiller is probably going to start! he ran well AND threw well yesterday. he is like bates and arnaud wrapped into one!

cylen

Jul 5, 2006
It was a great night up there. A few observations from our seats on the east-side of the stadium:
1. The new turf (grass) looks awesome. The West Side Skyboxes are very impressive!
2. The two qb’s looked good. Although I still feel AA looks more the part. Bates’s TD to Carlson may have been a touch under-thrown and Johnson may have miss-timed his jump – a GREAT catch by Carlson.
3. The play calling when Bates was in was all (but the TD above) short routes, 5-10 yd passes. AA was throwing the ball deep. (er) My feeling is AA looks more the part and clearly was given the opportunity (by design or not) to throw the ball down the field. His 29 yd throw across the middle was a ROPE!
4. Schwartz is a player. The D had a hard time bringing him down (until he twisted his knee)
5. We had far more blocked FG’s than ones that made it close to the endzone. Most because the ball was too low and too much surge up the middle. Zach did nail a 45+ yard FG after Mahoney had is blocked . The bottom line on the Kicking game is going to resemble the Lottery – It may not happen often but when it does it’s going to feel Great!
6. ARob and Scales basically didn’t play. Bass looked good, Schwartz looked tough, and I think when given his chance Jason Harris is going to do some great things – great speed around the ends. We may all be saying he’s another guy that got pigeon-holed by Mac
7. The O’line clearly dominated the D'line.
8. Tiller scrambled too much. He’s got talent, but he’s a long ways away.
The bottom line was it was incredible to be there (and you all should join the Gridiron Club) and Thursday the 28th can’t come soon enough!

Not to be a jerk, but I think the idea of a 'closed scrimmage' is that what happens at the scrimmage stays there. There were problems with this after the first CGC scrimmage and the staff asked people to keep it under wraps for the most part.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Not to be a jerk, but I think the idea of a 'closed scrimmage' is that what happens at the scrimmage stays there. There were problems with this after the first CGC scrimmage and the staff asked people to keep it under wraps for the most part.

I disagree completely. I think his post can only help to bolster Gridiron membership and add benefit to the FB program overall.

Nothing he 'shared' is in any way going to impact the FB program.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The problem the first time was that a detailed PBP (as in every play) for the entire scrimmage was posted on a message board.

CyBelieve

Aug 5, 2006
Ankeny
I can't believe he mentioned the condition of the field and the skyboxes.....now everyone knows! is anything sacred?