*** Official IOWA STATE Vs Akron Gameday Thread ***

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
I can see a unnecessary roughness call there since he was trying to shove his head into the ground it appeared, but it wasn’t targeting. Not sure how the rulebook comments about the use of a helmet being required for a targeting call. I am definitely surprised to be on this side of a bad call.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
After that call, I feel slightly guilty cheering for the TD.
(only slightly, after all the bad calls we have taken)

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I guess it's targeting because he hit his head, but I don't think it was intentional. Bad call but I'll take it.

crayhons

Mar 6, 2013
No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

Note 1: "Targeting" means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:

• Launch—a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet

Not saying I agree, but this is what the rules state.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Is announcer incorrect talkie for about not using the helmet? Targeting is simply not hitting the head of the exposed, offensive player, correct?
Lazard was hit in the back of his head. Doesn't matter if defender used helmet or not, right?

Well there you go- someone beat me to it. Thx!!

Reactions: crayhons

crayhons

Mar 6, 2013
Is announcer incorrect talkie for about not using the helmet? Targeting is simply not hitting the head of the exposed, offensive player, correct?
Lazard was hit in the back of his head. Doesn't matter if defender used helmet or not, right?

• Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
It doesn't have to be the helmet, there are plenty of other situations where it is still targeting.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I can see a unnecessary roughness call there since he was trying to shove his head into the ground it appeared, but it wasn’t targeting. Not sure how the rulebook comments about the use of a helmet being required for a targeting call. I am definitely surprised to be on this side of a bad call.

NFL would have called it unnecessary roughness, hitting a defenseless receiver. Play on and no big deal if Lazard doesn't drop the damn ball.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
The first body part to hit Laz's helmet was the arm/shoulder

Targeting does not have to be helmet-to-helmet. If you initiate contact in the opponents helmet with fist, forearm, or shoulder, it's still targeting by rule.

By the book, it was the right call. We (football fans in general) just don't like it.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones01