RECRUITING: Zion Griffin commits to Iowa State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I didn't say Deonte wasn't a good shot blocker, did I? I just think watching Griffin's videos that he could be even better. Relax. They're both good shot blockers.

If that is what you meant, I apologize. I was responding to your statement "Griffin IS a better shot blocker." The issue of whether Deonte was or was not a GOOD shot blocker was not addressed in your post, only whether he was as good as Griffin. I tend to take highlights with a grain of salt as they cannot accurately represent a player's abilities compared to having seen a player in a number of college games.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't disagree. A lot can change in basketball recruiting but I think we have positioned ourselves well for 2018-19.
I think some people are a bit delusional about this year's squad but who knows.
Both coaches were/are very good for Iowa State University and their fans. I just get a little tired of the little digs at Fred. You can be upset with him about leaving Iowa State but he brought back a program that was essentially on life support after the McDermott years.

I do not see why it cannot be both.

I appreciate greatly what he did as a player and a coach, particularly the latter in bringing back a moribund program to national relevance and its former glory.

I am also slightly miffed that he gave up what could have been a very good thing for all involved for a very long time in Ames... to the point becoming a neo-blue blood based on the acumen of the head coach like Michigan State, Syracuse, or Connecticut was possible... for a cash grab, a mediocre, old, declining roster and a terrible management, ownership, and expectations situation in Chicago when something better, likely the Timberwolves, was probably going to be available to him rather soon. It still seems like a downgrade and sub-optimal decision.

I appreciate what Fred did, too, in bringing in the talent and personalities that did, winning the Big 12 tournament twice, and the NCAA tournament appearances, but, hey, he never made it past the Sweet Sixteen. I think we mythologize the Niang foot injury to the point we pretend he basically actually did make a Final Four or win a national championship. He did some real good things, but he never hit that super-elite level in Ames with the actual outcomes.

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
Still some slight chatter on the phog scout board that Zion is visiting for late night and that he'll be center of attention. Probably fan chatter but damn KU.. hoping it isn't true. Also, some interesting. railing on adidas as they think Nike is steering guys clear of KU.

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
Still some slight chatter on the phog scout board that Zion is visiting for late night and that he'll be center of attention. Probably fan chatter but damn KU.. hoping it isn't true. Also, some interesting. railing on adidas as they think Nike is steering guys clear of KU.
I'm not buying it. Zion has been very clear he has shut down his recruitment. If he seems to waiver in the next couple weeks then who knows but I believe him right now.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis

Sure they aren't talking about Zion Williamson? Pretty sure that's the case.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
The shoe brand battle isn't going anywhere. Of course Nike wants kids to avoid KU, an adidas school.

To add fuel to your fire about KU/adidas vs ISU/Nike, here is Zion wearing an adidas shirt at his visit last weekend:

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa

SeventhSon

Apr 13, 2014
It still seems like a downgrade and sub-optimal decision.

Fred hated recruiting and the simple fact is, you can't be a successful college coach long term if you hate recruiting. It's that simple. His demeanor, personality, and philosophy is much more compatible with NBA coaching.

You can criticize him for choosing the Bulls, but you should not criticize him for leaving a job that he knew was not right for him (and only he can know what "right" is, your average CF commenter notwithstanding). He didn't betray anybody -- Jamie had been telling us from day 1 that Fred wanted to be in the NBA.

It's frustrating because he clearly has a talent that is very hard to come by but it just wasn't meant to be. Everybody needs to just forgive him for not being the messiah they wanted him to be and let bygones be bygones.

Disclaimer: This subject hits close to home for me because I am currently in the middle of a mid-career transition that has some parallels with Fred's situation (minus the $25m contract).

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think some people are a bit delusional about this year's squad but who knows.

I don't know about delusional, I just don't want to close the book on this season as a rebuilding year quite yet. I think a lot has to go right for them to reach the tournament - Wigginton has to adjust quickly to the college game, DJ has to carry the load on offense early on, NWB has to embrace a larger role, and what they have for bigs is largely unknown beyond Solomon Young. We'll see. I think they're going to struggle a bit in the non-con but Prohm's shown a knack for having his teams playing their best ball by mid-late February.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I don't know about delusional, I just don't want to close the book on this season as a rebuilding year quite yet. I think a lot has to go right for them to reach the tournament - Wigginton has to adjust quickly to the college game, DJ has to carry the load on offense early on, NWB has to embrace a larger role, and what they have for bigs is largely unknown beyond Solomon Young. We'll see. I think they're going to struggle a bit in the non-con but Prohm's shown a knack for having his teams playing their best ball by mid-late February.
I have very high hopes for Sol. He was incredible last year, and an offseason surely can't have hurt him. Yes, the surrounding cast has a lot more question marks, but I think he's going to keep things from getting terrible this year.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don't know about delusional, I just don't want to close the book on this season as a rebuilding year quite yet. I think a lot has to go right for them to reach the tournament - Wigginton has to adjust quickly to the college game, DJ has to carry the load on offense early on, NWB has to embrace a larger role, and what they have for bigs is largely unknown beyond Solomon Young. We'll see. I think they're going to struggle a bit in the non-con but Prohm's shown a knack for having his teams playing their best ball
by mid-late February.

For me it boils down to if you think this team can be .500 in conference and I think that's totally feasible. So I can't agree that NIT is this team's ceiling.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Fred hated recruiting and the simple fact is, you can't be a successful college coach long term if you hate recruiting. It's that simple. His demeanor, personality, and philosophy is much more compatible with NBA coaching.

You can criticize him for choosing the Bulls, but you should not criticize him for leaving a job that he knew was not right for him (and only he can know what "right" is, your average CF commenter notwithstanding). He didn't betray anybody -- Jamie had been telling us from day 1 that Fred wanted to be in the NBA.

It's frustrating because he clearly has a talent that is very hard to come by but it just wasn't meant to be. Everybody needs to just forgive him for not being the messiah they wanted him to be and let bygones be bygones.

Disclaimer: This subject hits close to home for me because I am currently in the middle of a mid-career transition that has some parallels with Fred's situation (minus the $25m contract).

I do not really disagree with any of this. I just do not see it as an either/or on people being (1.) thankful for what Fred did, (2.) understanding of why he left, (3.) a little surprised Chicago was the option that lured him away, relative to his likely other options, and (4.) still a little miffed, as a fan, on what he potentially gave up in Ames. He was quietly the greatest story in sports while he was at ISU. The magic was back. Prohm has kept the ball rolling, at least, but that might be a sign a competitive program is what Iowa State should be given our home court, fan base, tradition, and conference. I never fault a man for getting himself paid, too, and Chicago did have 25 million good reasons for Fred to go there. Pollard could never match that.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
For me it boils down to if you think this team can be .500 in conference and I think that's totally feasible. So I can't agree that NIT is this team's ceiling.

I have no idea what the ceiling is. Nobody does with so many unknowns. It's safe to assume that Wigginton is going to be a stud but that doesn't mean he's going to come out of the chute averaging 20 a game. There's a learning curve, and there's no way to know how steep it'll be for him. I agree that .500 in conference is possible, but my concern is if they dig themselves a hole in the non conference sched while Prohm mixes and matches lineups to see what works and what doesn't. If they stumble there then they'll have a lot of ground to make up, and 9-9 in Big 12 play might not do it. I don't know. It's going to be an interesting season to watch unfold just because we don't have a book on so many of the guys expected to contribute. I'm excited to see what they're working with.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I have no idea what the ceiling is. Nobody does with so many unknowns. It's safe to assume that Wigginton is going to be a stud but that doesn't mean he's going to come out of the chute averaging 20 a game. There's a learning curve, and there's no way to know how steep it'll be for him. I agree that .500 in conference is possible, but my concern is if they dig themselves a hole in the non conference sched while Prohm mixes and matches lineups to see what works and what doesn't. If they stumble there then they'll have a lot of ground to make up, and 9-9 in Big 12 play might not do it. I don't know. It's going to be an interesting season to watch unfold just because we don't have a book on so many of the guys expected to contribute. I'm excited to see what they're working with.

At first glance with so many new guys, the obviously projection is a rebuilding year, but there are so many unknowns you can't completely eliminate the possibility of them coming together, guys improving, transfers working out etc. and making the tournament. So who really knows what the ceiling is?

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
At first glance with so many new guys, the obviously projection is a rebuilding year, but there are so many unknowns you can't completely eliminate the possibility of them coming together, guys improving, transfers working out etc. and making the tournament. So who really knows what the ceiling is?

Sure. We just don't know enough. The easy thing to assume is that with so much inexperience and newcomers that this is a rebuilding year. But if a lot of things go right, then who knows? Put it this way - if they make the tournament, I'll only be mildly surprised. If they miss the tournament, I'll only be mildly disappointed.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
I do not really disagree with any of this. I just do not see it as an either/or on people being (1.) thankful for what Fred did, (2.) understanding of why he left, (3.) a little surprised Chicago was the option that lured him away, relative to his likely other options, and (4.) still a little miffed, as a fan, on what he potentially gave up in Ames. He was quietly the greatest story in sports while he was at ISU. The magic was back. Prohm has kept the ball rolling, at least, but that might be a sign a competitive program is what Iowa State should be given our home court, fan base, tradition, and conference. I never fault a man for getting himself paid, too, and Chicago did have 25 million good reasons for Fred to go there. Pollard could never match that.

I thought that Pollard was able to match the total money, but for maybe 7-8 year contract, and a more of a commitment from Fred that he wouldn't be looking at NBA jobs every day.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

They won't be stumbling with this noncon. If they do, then we won't have to worry about .500 in conference play.

• Agree
Reactions: LindenCy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron