The Best (and Worst) College Football Coaches for the Buck

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Hmm, our state's highes paid employee is also the most overpaid coach in college football based on his on the field results. And there are hawk fans convinced that ISU fans want to get kirk fired? Seriously? What more could you ask for for your rival school than a coach who drains the bank account in exchange for a .500 team every year?

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Hmm, our state's highes paid employee is also the most overpaid coach in college football based on his on the field results. And there are hawk fans convinced that ISU fans want to get kirk fired? Seriously? What more could you ask for for your rival school than a coach who drains the bank account in exchange for a .500 team every year?

The best part about it is that Kirk actually thinks he is worth the money he is getting paid despite the results he is producing. Wait... the best part is that the administration thinks he is worth what he is getting paid despite the results he is producing. Hang on... let me try this one more time. The best part about it is that Hawk fans think he is worth it despite the results he is producing.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
The best part about it is that Kirk actually thinks he is worth the money he is getting paid despite the results he is producing. Wait... the best part is that the administration thinks he is worth what he is getting paid despite the results he is producing. Hang on... let me try this one more time. The best part about it is that Hawk fans think he is worth it despite the results he is producing.

Wow, I think I was following you right until the end there. What is this hawk fan thinking you talk about? I have heard of such a thing, but I've never actually seen proof that it exists.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Right on.

Don't forget about his record against us. I've said it for years, we DO NOT want EIU to get rid of Ferentz.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I agree with that entire article.

IMO, this season will be Ferentz's last "freebie." Another disappointing season and he will be shown the door or forced to replace his staff.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The thing I find outstanding is Pete Carroll is the 3rd or 4th most underpaid coach, yet he is making the most coin in the NCAA. Talk about a guy that's getting the job done...

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

IMO, this season will be Ferentz's last "freebie." Another disappointing season and he will be shown the door or forced to replace his staff.

I think you meant to say that last season was his last freebie, if this year's results may or may not cause a change at some or all levels of the football program.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
The thing I find outstanding is Pete Carroll is the 3rd or 4th most underpaid coach, yet he is making the most coin in the NCAA. Talk about a guy that's getting the job done...

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't know he was the highest paid coach out there before reading it but I figured he was in the top 10.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I was thinking the same thing. I didn't know he was the highest paid coach out there before reading it but I figured he was in the top 10.

SC is a private school with a lot of very wealthy alums and supporters...there is some serious money in LA.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

I'm not sure I really get this perspective, and it seems that a lot of Iowa fans have it. Considering the level of expectations that hawk fans have, the amount of money kf is getting paid, and the fact that he has been at the school for what like 10 years, he has already had 3 years of basically .500 football and you want to tell me if he has one more then the pressure will be on in the next year? I just don't see how fans with such lofty expectations are willing to give him such a long leash. 4 years of mediocre football isn't a little blip, that is a well established trend. One that I certainly wouldn't bet on reversing when Michigan and OSU come back on the schedule in a couple years.

Reactions: joefrog

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I'm not sure I really get this perspective, and it seems that a lot of Iowa fans have it. Considering the level of expectations that hawk fans have, the amount of money kf is getting paid, and the fact that he has been at the school for what like 10 years, he has already had 3 years of basically .500 football and you want to tell me if he has one more then the pressure will be on in the next year? I just don't see how fans with such lofty expectations are willing to give him such a long leash. 4 years of mediocre football isn't a little blip, that is a well established trend. One that I certainly wouldn't bet on reversing when Michigan and OSU come back on the schedule in a couple years.

I concur with this post. If you look at the entire Ferentz HC record you can do nothing but draw the conclusion that he is a mediocre coach (at best). Clearly, the two or three good years they had in the early part of this decade were an anomoly.

This is one reason I have always gotten a good laugh when the talk of Ferentz leaving for greener pastures (U of Michigan, Steelers, etc.) starts coming out of Iowa City. You have to truly be delusional to believe that Ferentz is a highly sought after coach outside of Iowa City.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I think you meant to say that last season was his last freebie, if this year's results may or may not cause a change at some or all levels of the football program.

Yep, I worded that totally wrong. That's what I meant though.

Klonz

Nov 9, 2006
Grimes, IA
Would be interesting to know how well SC could do following the rules. The Reggie Bush/Leinhart money deals keep getting over-looked by the NCAA.

How deep does that run? Heck, lots of kids would love to go there with the perfect weather and eye candy.

I think he is a great coach, however, seems that the rules don't apply to him/USC.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Would be interesting to know how well SC could do following the rules. The Reggie Bush/Leinhart money deals keep getting over-looked by the NCAA.

How deep does that run? Heck, lots of kids would love to go there with the perfect weather and eye candy.

I think he is a great coach, however, seems that the rules don't apply to him/USC.

Yep. How does Reggie Bush still have Vince Young's Heisman? Why does Lucca lose a year, and NOTHING happens at USC?

As for KF (HPSE) I just want him fired because he has earned it. As an ISU fan, he is the new Steve Alford, and I should want a lifetime contract for the guy. Once a coach loses that desire and fire in the belly, it is over. Especially at schools that are not top tier on their own (USC, FLA, OSU). So if the Hawks do keep him, good for us as clone fans, but bad for Iowans as people. We deserve better.

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
That artilce may have shocked a bunch of people across the country but I am guessing everyone on this site and anyone who follows iowa football knew that was coming.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Yep. How does Reggie Bush still have Vince Young's Heisman?

That trophy belongs to Vince, cheating or not. And if the voting was done when it should be (after the bowl games), Vince would in fact already have it.

How the NCAA allows the sports most prestigious award to be handed out before the biggest games of the year - I'll never quite understand.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
That trophy belongs to Vince, cheating or not. And if the voting was done when it should be (after the bowl games), Vince would in fact already have it.

How the NCAA allows the sports most prestigious award to be handed out before the biggest games of the year - I'll never quite understand.

That National Championship was the greatest game....

BugDoc

Feb 6, 2007
Corvallis, OR
Having adopted the Beavers as my 2nd favorite team after the Cyclones, it was great to seee Mike Riley on the list. He has done an amazing job in Corvallis. The Beavers were also once owners of something like a 13 year losing streak. They have turned things around and maintained it better than ISU. With that have come stadium expansions and the like. It can be done in Ames, we just need to give Chizik and crew the support that they need to take it to the next level.