RB interest in ISU?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I like it when highly rated prospects are decreasing their commitment to schools that have been winning recently and are looking to us as an option.

The worm is turning, if we can get a few more of these guys to start biting, we'll be in business.

Plus, having 2 highly rated backs on the team at the same time certainly won't suck.

Reactions: cyingreen

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Four star recruit, Adrais Bellamy, committed to USF and now says his verbal is "very soft." Wants to visit other schools including Iowa State.

Bellamy's USF commitment now 'very soft'

hope it works

I certainly like our chances here from the sound of it. Bellamy probably was pissed about the amount of RB's that USF was still pursuing after signing him. If we are the only other school that offered him then he knows just how interested we already are in having him here. Then you look at playing time scenarios with the other schools listed and he probably will be looking at ISU as a place that he can play right away.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I like it when highly rated prospects are decreasing their commitment to schools that have been winning recently and are looking to us as an option.

The worm is turning, if we can get a few more of these guys to start biting, we'll be in business.

Plus, having 2 highly rated backs on the team at the same time certainly won't suck.

The exciting thing is when you look at some of these highly rated recruits that are considering ISU and then look at the other schools on their list you realize just how good Chizik is as a recruiter. Florida, USF, Florida State, and Iowa State? Now which school normally doesn't belong in this group? I love it.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
There's always the flip side of it. Just about a month or two ago we were all up in arms about the lack of "commitment" a certain basketball player had here. But, we're ok if someone that is "committed" to another school decides he's not committed anymore. Something about the waverers always makes me a little nervous. How many years here before he decides that he doesn't want to be here anymore? Maybe that's just the skeptic in me...

Reactions: cyingreen

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
Normally I hate when players give a verbal and then go somewhere else. However, in this case I will make an exception. I hope he comes here.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
The exciting thing is when you look at some of these highly rated recruits that are considering ISU and then look at the other schools on their list you realize just how good Chizik is as a recruiter. Florida, USF, Florida State, and Iowa State? Now which school normally doesn't belong in this group? I love it.

There's a game we could play from Sesame Street, "which of these things is not like the other".

Hopefully in a few years, in that game group, USF is the odd man out and not ISU.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
There's always the flip side of it. Just about a month or two ago we were all up in arms about the lack of "commitment" a certain basketball player had here. But, we're ok if someone that is "committed" to another school decides he's not committed anymore.

A very valid point. The USF fans are likely saying...

- He's wishwashy and without a spine.
- We don't want him anyways.
- It's Dan McCarney's fault.

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
There's always the flip side of it. Just about a month or two ago we were all up in arms about the lack of "commitment" a certain basketball player had here. But, we're ok if someone that is "committed" to another school decides he's not committed anymore. Something about the waverers always makes me a little nervous. How many years here before he decides that he doesn't want to be here anymore? Maybe that's just the skeptic in me...

You have a valid point, but at the same time we don't know what kind of commitment he made with the USF coaching staff. What if he told them, "Hey, I'm basically commited, but I want to look around some more" and their coaches said ok? We can't really worry about those things. What we do know is that if he decides he wants to commit to Iowa State, Chizik won't put up with any wavering.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
As long as we're not still recruiting him after he has committed, then I'm not worried at all. We know Chiz will not accept a commitment unless they say it is 100% certain, so I'm not worried about this kid wavering on a previous commitment. Who knows what USF's policy is, and who cares for that matter.

Hopefully this guy will choose the good guys, and we will have another RB with great potential lined up after Bo runs out of eligibility. (in addition to Schwartz and Beau of course)

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Im glad to see this happening, and I hope he comes here, it would be nice to have like a 4* saftey or defensive tackle or offensive line. Getting running backs and quarterbacks havent seemed to be our problem. I think Carpenter will be a 4* offensive tackle and id be nice if he committed during his visit in october. I really want a good defensive tackle

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
As long as we're not still recruiting him after he has committed, then I'm not worried at all.

Not trying to be mean here, but guess how we got Sed Johnson??

I would hate to think that GC is not recruiting guys who may be committed to someone else. In my eyes, it's the recruits responsibility to say "stop contacting me, I am committed to..." if they really are committed.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

- It's Dan McCarney's fault.[/quote]

It very well could be considering he left USF and is now at Florida, so maybe Florida is pursuing him harder.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Im glad to see this happening, and I hope he comes here, it would be nice to have like a 4* saftey or defensive tackle or offensive line. Getting running backs and quarterbacks havent seemed to be our problem. I think Carpenter will be a 4* offensive tackle and id be nice if he committed during his visit in october. I really want a good defensive tackle

Agreed. I think it is safe to say though that the caliber of players that Chizik is selling the program to and gaining interest from is moving up the talent ladder. If we can keep building the excitement around the program and hopefully find a big donor and get the end zone bowled in so our facilities are up to par then look out. It sure seems like things are slowly starting to fall into place.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Not trying to be mean here, but guess how we got Sed Johnson??

I would hate to think that GC is not recruiting guys who may be committed to someone else. In my eyes, it's the recruits responsibility to say "stop contacting me, I am committed to..." if they really are committed.

It was the same situation with Sed as it is with Bellamy. Sed was hedging on his verbal to A&M because he didn't feel like he was getting much attention from the new staff for the Aggies. I am sure that our coaches do a better job of staying in contact with our commits so that they don't feel like they have been forgotten and decide to look elsewhere.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

- It's Dan McCarney's fault.[/quote]

It very well could be considering he left USF and is now at Florida, so maybe Florida is pursuing him harder.

The benefit we have recruiting against a school like Florida is that this kid knows that we want him real bad. Florida could lose out on this kid and just go right on to the next 4 or 5 star recruit without batting an eye. At ISU losing out on a guy like that hurts. I like the recruits that we seem to be bringing in. They just seem to be the kind of guys that look at ISU and think about the opportunity to build a program. Guys with that outlook are typically the hardworking guys that we want on our team and not those showboating look at me guys that just want to read their press clippings. I will take a team loaded with those hard nosed guys that want to go to work rather then a bunch of "look at me" guys any day of the week.

It makes me think of Virginia Tech. That team has had some special players but it's their coaches workmanlike attitude that brings in those hardworking guys year after year. That seems like a program that we could try to emulate.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080813/SPORTS/808130332/1002/SPORTS

Dan Mac, UF DLine coach, sighting:

Noteworthy. Defensive line coach Dan McCarney said "I can't tell anything" about highly recruited defensive tackle Omar Hunter, who is slowed by a back problem. "He's been with the trainers and he's hit a sled and that's the only thing I've seen," McCarney said. "There's no sleds out there on game day." . . . The annual removal of the stripes on the backs of freshmen helmets has begun. It's a routine where Meyer removes a stripe when the player has gone through the rites of passage of proving they belong in the program. Linebacker William Green, back Jeff Demps, receiver Frankie Hammond and defensive back Janoris Jenkins are the first to go through the ritual.