Hurricane Irma

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Suppose to leave for Savannah, GA late this week for a conference. Will have keep an eye on this.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: zmjames6

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Irma blew up overnight. Now a category 5 storm with 175 mph winds. She's still on course for the Keys (more or less). Some computer models have her turning north just before Florida, some over Florida, some just after Florida (then impacting the west coast of FL), while some take it into the Gulf far enough to impact the panhandle area. None take the storm anywhere near Texas or Louisiana, fortunately - they should get to sit this one out.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Family that is up here right now - they live in the keys. They might not go back. And they will be gone. If the keys get hit hard they will be wiped out completely. Take a long time to put that back together.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I just moved to Miami. According to http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone, it is coming for Florida.

Looks like I picked the perfect time to move!

BTW, the heat here is ridiculous.

I once took an engineering internship in Miami in college.....thought I'd be working for a design-build firm.

Turns out it was a construction company where I did ***** jobs for the contractors. They sourced out all their design work.

So yeah a summer in Miami of working 12+ hours a day outside. Awful.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
now this one I'd think they have more time to start evacuations.

I had read that warmer than normal ocean temps in the Gulf allowed Harvey to explode - I wonder if the same is true for Irma though it's obviously not in the Gulf (yet).

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Biggest determining factor for a Florida hit is whether it moves South enough to directly impact Hispaniola or Cuba (or both)...if it does, the higher terrain will beat the storm up and lessen impacts to the US. If not, then Florida could be looking at impacts similar to Andrew. Best solution would be for a right turn recurve before the U.S...not sure if we get that lucky.

• Informative
Reactions: Doc

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Biggest determining factor for a Florida hit is whether it moves South enough to directly impact Hispaniola or Cuba (or both)...if it does, the higher terrain will beat the storm up and lessen impacts to the US. If not, then Florida could be looking at impacts similar to Andrew. Best solution would be for a right turn recurve before the U.S...not sure if we get that lucky.

The difference would be that Andrew was actually a very compact storm, considering his wind velocity at landfall. Irma is a monster in size and would inflict far more damage over a much greater area of south Florida than Andrew did. Agree that the best case is definitely turning north before reaching Florida; second best is the eye will interact with a land mass before turning north and disrupt the circulation. Rain would still be intense, but the wind and storm surge would drop signficantly. Florida can handle a cat 1 or 2 strike much easier than it can a cat 4 or 5 (obviously).

• Agree
Reactions: knowlesjam

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
now this one I'd think they have more time to start evacuations.

I had read that warmer than normal ocean temps in the Gulf allowed Harvey to explode - I wonder if the same is true for Irma though it's obviously not in the Gulf (yet).

I think a lot will hinge on the path of the jet stream that is dipping down over us right now and goes up through the northeast US along with the high pressure north of Irma in the Atlantic. The Atlantic Ocean temps along the US is about 85 temp wise right now, this is some really warm water and will feed any storm. If it takes a track up the east coast with the warmer ocean temps, the east coast could be in for some major damage. Prayers for all in the path of this hurricane!!

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
The difference would be that Andrew was actually a very compact storm, considering his wind velocity at landfall. Irma is a monster in size and would inflict far more damage over a much greater area of south Florida than Andrew did. Agree that the best case is definitely turning north before reaching Florida; second best is the eye will interact with a land mass before turning north and disrupt the circulation. Rain would still be intense, but the wind and storm surge would drop signficantly. Florida can handle a cat 1 or 2 strike much easier than it can a cat 4 or 5 (obviously).
Models holding pretty firm to the "threading the needle" between large landmasses...we will see. Latest recon at the top of the hour after the 10:00 AM update has the central pressure down to 927 mb (4 mb drop since the last center fix). The Northern Leewards are going to take a beating tonight...

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
not a good situation with a **** ton of resources tied up in the Harvey cleanups + all the wildfires out west.
This may end up being the single biggest concern...FEMA is 100% engaged in the SE Texas area...they are Schlitz with respect to extra resources at this time. If we take a direct Cat 4/5 hit in SE Florida, it will break FEMA. Florida has response capabilities...but Irma is big and the impacts could be catastrophic.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Family that is up here right now - they live in the keys. They might not go back. And they will be gone. If the keys get hit hard they will be wiped out completely. Take a long time to put that back together.

I lived in the Florida Keys between 2004-07. We had two very active hurricane seasons when I lived there in '04 and '05, and having to deal with hurricanes on what seemed an almost constant basis for two consecutive summers was one of the reasons why I moved away from there, although by and large I did really enjoy and got a lot out of my time there.

The Keys are quite a unique and beautiful place, with a friendly and at times, shall we say, "interesting" population down there. Key West itself is a really fun town with a lot of history and some really fun partying (Fantasy Fest), and is a place everyone would have a good time visiting at least once.

Really keeping my fingers crossed that my former home avoids any serious damage. The last hurricane to impact the Keys was Wilma back in '05, and the camp I lived and worked at had to shut down for a month so that we could repair all of the damage.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
This may end up being the single biggest concern...FEMA is 100% engaged in the SE Texas area...they are Schlitz with respect to extra resources at this time. If we take a direct Cat 4/5 hit in SE Florida, it will break FEMA. Florida has response capabilities...but Irma is big and the impacts could be catastrophic.

did they get hit yet with the budget cuts? I know they were proposed, not sure if in effect yet.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron