Turnover King... Mike Taylor

toneloc34

Apr 10, 2006
Sorry if anyone has posted this already but I thought a few would be interested to know that Mike Taylor is leading the nation in turnovers per game. Here's the link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ba...006/individual/assists/TURNOVER_PER_GAME.html

I don't want to harp on this guy too much but I feel that for this team to progress, we need to limit Taylor's playing time. He tends to bring out the "Wayne Morgan" style basketball I thought we were moving away from.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
He'll be fine, ease up.

He's learning that he can't do the same things he used to do while at the JUCO, the competition is much better than what he's used to.

professor

May 26, 2006
Coralville, IA
Limit Mike Taylor's playing time?!?!?! He does have the ball in his hands most for ISU. He's the only guy that can take anyone off the dribble. When he learns how to pass out of the drives, then hopefully the TO's will be down a little.

Don't read too much into the stats this early in the season. I'm just waiting for one game where the team just "clicks"

I wonder if we should do some kind of full-court press with our quickness and length, I think that will help our half court defense.

toneloc34

Apr 10, 2006
We are nearly a third of the way thru the season, I feel we can start to extrapolate a few things about the team at this point.

Yes Taylor handles the ball a lot, but don't the leaders of every other team in the country? Fact is, Taylor gives the ball away more than anyone playing college basketball.

My concern is that Taylor's turnovers aren't from poor execution, they are from a poor "style" of play. What I mean is, he's not turning the ball over trying to run McDermott's offense, he's turning it over by doing his own thing.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
He'll be fine, ease up.

He's learning that he can't do the same things he used to do while at the JUCO, the competition is much better than what he's used to.

I thought the same thing at first but now we are 9 games into the season. I haven't seen ANY improvement in the turnover department. I would think that after averaging almost 1 more TO per game than anyone in the nation, he may start to realize he needs to slow down...

I've never seen so many layups and dunks in 1 game on Friday. I know our roster is a little thin but 26 turnovers is completely unacceptable...we won't win 1 game in the Big 12 playing like that.

We are 5 games away from conference play with 2 of those games against teams that will be favored against us. I hope we can use these next 5 to get a little more consistant positive play. Cut down on the turnovers and we're right there.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I too have yet to see improvement. Not saying it won't happen, under G-Mac I think it will.

Just thought we'd have noticed some improvement by now.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I too have yet to see improvement. Not saying it won't happen, under G-Mac I think it will.

Just thought we'd have noticed some improvement by now.

Yeah, Taylor has shown little to no improvement. Now saying we should limit his playing time I dont agree with, but if he dosent start showing improvement, he is only going to hurt us being on the court as much as he is. In my opinion with Taylor, until he shows better ball handeling, its pretty much a loose loose situation.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Yeah, Taylor has shown little to no improvement. Now saying we should limit his playing time I dont agree with, but if he dosent start showing improvement, he is only going to hurt us being on the court as much as he is. In my opinion with Taylor, until he shows better ball handeling, its pretty much a loose loose situation.

I don't think benching him is the answer but at least cut down the amount of times he brings the ball up the floor...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Limit Mike Taylor's playing time?!?!?! He does have the ball in his hands most for ISU. He's the only guy that can take anyone off the dribble. When he learns how to pass out of the drives, then hopefully the TO's will be down a little.

Don't read too much into the stats this early in the season. I'm just waiting for one game where the team just "clicks"

I wonder if we should do some kind of full-court press with our quickness and length, I think that will help our half court defense.

It is okay to lead the nation in tackling like Alvin, but turnovers in bball is the low point. He is forcing the action because our other guards and forwards are duds on dribbling. I am sure he needs to move to the sides and stay away from top of the key. He shoots better on fast break. He will get much better with Dodie.

I also think McD ought to see the duck for what it is this year and go to zone more often and press full court. We have lots of guards. We are not your typoical McD team and will not be until Alex and Brackins play. Unfortunately our talent level may dictate for us to play WM ball.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
You know, I was one of those people wondering if we needed to recruit three guards for next year. The way ours guys are playing this year nobody will be starting when those freshman get here.

Although, I do like what I see out of Dodie and I think once he gets used to the competition I think he can be a very serviceable Big 12 player.

And yes, with the exception of one very hot game (Minnesota) and one against a D2 opponent (Lake Superior State) Taylor has been the hands down most frustrating player I've ever seen in a Cyclone Uni. He just flat out pisses me off. He has almost a full tpg more than the second worst guy in the nation. He's really setting a new bar for ineptitude in that department.

Lanny

Apr 10, 2006
Kimberling City, MO
As much as everyone is all against Taylor, imagine the guards we have without him. We would have to use walk-ons a lot, and the guards would be poor ball handlers (especially after the starting 2) who cant create shots or draw defenders. Give Taylor some time, he is playing because of what he can become. I dont know if he will be able to get there, but he is needed if this years team wants to become its best.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It's time we give Dodie a chance to run the point more often than not.

I think part of Taylor's problems exist because he's somewhat playing out of position. He fits the #2 spot much better.

I think if we continue to see Dodie improve, he should get a chance to start at the point and move Taylor to the #2.

Heck, why not give that a shot Wednesday night...

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I think Gmac needs to give some selective benchings to MT, in that he sits him down for a minute or so after some of his more boneheaded turnovers. Nothing chaps a competitive player more than sitting and watching when you know you could be out there helping your team. In his defense, MT isn't really a PG, and is handling the ball far too much due to the fact that McIntosh has been ineffective so far.

St8Grad

Mar 30, 2006
Nashville, TN
Sorry if anyone has posted this already but I thought a few would be interested to know that Mike Taylor is leading the nation in turnovers per game. Here's the link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ba...006/individual/assists/TURNOVER_PER_GAME.html

I don't want to harp on this guy too much but I feel that for this team to progress, we need to limit Taylor's playing time. He tends to bring out the "Wayne Morgan" style basketball I thought we were moving away from.

I completely agree. Mike Taylor just doesn't seem like a GMAC type of player. I'd be willing to bet that Mike is giving GMAC more headaches than any other player right now. He is a loose cannon to put it mildly. Completely out of control when shooting, dribbling, passing, etc. The turnovers & inconsistent scoring show this.

I've said this before... Mike Taylor is going to be a Love - Hate relationship for Cyclone fans.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Interesting tidbit from that site: Brooks McKowen-UNI-7.2 assists/game Mike Taylor 6.2 TURNOVERS a game...Unbelievable.

Good stat to prove the point that the guy with more talent doesn't always perform better. No question Taylor has more talent than McKowen but right now, I'd take McKowen until Taylor gets a handle on his turnovers.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I agree that Taylor's turnover issue has been unsettling to say the least. I think moving him to the 2 guard will be a great help, but until Dodie or McIntosh are ready to take the majority of the minutes at the point, GMac's hands are sort of tied on that. Benching him isn't a real possibility either because we need his scoring. We just don't have enough offensive weapons on the court to do without him.

There is no way at all that we should even consider going to a full court press and zone defense. Yes, it's true that we don't have the best group of players to play in a GMac system, but we knew that. This is a rebuilding year, regardless of what people think after a 6-0 start. The players we have need to learn the system, and there are going to be growing pains. It will get better, especially when the new players arrive next year. But right now we are going to have to put up with some short term pain for long term gain. This is a team that returned 4 scholarship players and just went through a coaching change. It is going to take more than 9 games to right this ship.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I think Wesley Johnson needs to start taking a greater percentage of the team's shots, and lessen the apparent feeling of MT that he has to do so much. WJ is shooting 50% from the floor, and has a better chance as a post player to get to the line (where he is shooting a very respectable 72%).

This kid doesn't look or play like a freshman, let's give him some more of the load. I really believe that when MT saw everyone standing around looking lost early in the season, he just said to himself, "I guess I'll make something happen." Well, that was certainly OK when he can't miss (see Minny) but when the shots aren't falling he need to dial it down and create for other players with dishes and defense.

This might make MT press less and calm him down knowing the offense could go through someone else once and a while.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think Wesley Johnson needs to start taking a greater percentage of the team's shots, and lessen the apparent feeling of MT that he has to do so much. WJ is shooting 50% from the floor, and has a better chance as a post player to get to the line (where he is shooting a very respectable 72%).

This kid doesn't look or play like a freshman, let's give him some more of the load.

Hells yes. Feed the ball to #4.