Jacy Holloway

DavClone

Apr 12, 2006
30 minutes from Hilton
Can we save one scholarship a year for a 5-10, 150 point guard that doesn't care about trying to make an ESPN top 10 play of the day? A Jacy Holloway type that can value the ball, run an offense, distribute the ball to the scorers, and play good enough defense not to kill you on the other end. We have a good group of guards, but do they value the basketball enough to play the point?

Some day I'd like to see McD have a similar quote about a starting guard that Floyd did for Jacy:

"[Jacy] is so geared in making those around him better. He understands the values, that part of his role," Floyd said. "Jacy Holloway has always understood that point guards are measured by the amounts of wins that a team has. There is not one selfish bone in his body."

9seven

Apr 15, 2006
Indianola/Boone
While I agree with you that Hollaway was a great point guard and floor general. I think we have some really good guys coming in such as Garret and Buckley. Hopefully they are better all around players then Hollaway, but I do understand what your saying. Not having to worry about someone turning it over 10 times a game is really nice to have!

clones11

Apr 2, 2006
Marion
Jacy was also a heck of a shooter but he didn't shoot much because he had dedric to do that but in the cyclone shootout thing during the three point contest he pretty much kicked dedric's butt. but i agree we need to find a gaurd that values the ball because 32 turnovers is not going to cut it in the big 12 if that trend keeps up we will average 25 point losses in confrence play. I have confidence that it will change Gmac wont put up with that so it is just a witing game untill these kids grow up a little

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Need to recruit one more banger for next year besides Brackins. Like an Eric Coleman.

sclotz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Where was Holloway from and how many years did he play for us??? Did he come in right away and start or did it take a year or two??

explorer

Apr 16, 2006
Marion, IA
Holloway was from Kansas, which was fitting b/c he nailed a late game 3 pointer to steal a win from Kansas, I believe in the Big 8 tournament. I believe he started from his sophomore game on. I loved his unselfish play, ironically it's one of the few guards that everyone wished would've shot a lot more.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I believe Jacy started all games from sophomore on, but he did start some his freshman year and split time with Jason Kimbrough I believe (#5).

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
What everyone has to realize is that Jacy had Willoughby on the outside, and Pratt and Cato on the inside to pass the ball to. We don't have anyone to pass the ball into right now. Our PG is the best scorer on the floor so we need him to do that. Next year we will be a lot better once Wesley & Cory Johnson have a year under their belt. Even Marsden.

I'm beginning to think we should use Rashon in the 4 position like Pratt or Stevie Johnson played. Rahson may not have the moves in the paint, but his incredible leaping ability and rebounding would allow him for putbacks.

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
I've been watching hoops for a LONG time and I don't think I've ever seen a player that I shouted at to SHOOT IT, SHOOT IT as much as him. Other teams would leave him WIDE OPEN because they knew he wasn't got to shoot it. And yes Jacy could make them when he took them. Not to critize though. Jacy was a very good floor general and made very good decisions. Not sure about the original post though. Jacy was a throwback even when he was here. I will take a Tinsley or many others that we've had over him. In today's game, the PG needs to create, hit the open shot, and make some 3's. None of these were a Jacy strong point. And again, this is not to be critical of Jacy, I really liked what he brought to the table but I think we can do better. Just my opinion.

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
Jacy was the player on Iowa State that fans from other schools hated...cause he was solid. You know the kinda player I am talking about right...

Hollway didn't get the applause he deserved most of the time...what we wouldn't do to have him right now huh?

pignjig1

Nov 9, 2006
Coon Rapids, Iowa
I remember Tim Floyd trying to recruit over Holloway while Jacy was here and Jacy knew it, but he kept beating out every point guard that came in. He wasn't sensational but he could run the team and he had good basketball smarts.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I remember Tim Floyd trying to recruit over Holloway while Jacy was here and Jacy knew it, but he kept beating out every point guard that came in. He wasn't sensational but he could run the team and he had good basketball smarts.

Yes, Floyd always wanted him to score more. He used to start Jason Kimborough(sp?) over Jacy occasionally.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron