2017 Fargo Results

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Shapiro still alive on the back side. The state of Iowa is having a good showing overall.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Aden Reeves is in the semis at 113
Ben Kamali is in the consi at 113
Michael Millage is in the semis at 138
Sasso in the semis at 145.
Brayton Lee got beat by Gfeller (Ok State recruit) 8-5 in the quarters at 145
Will Lewan is in the semis at 152
David Carr is in the semis at 160
Shapiro is alive in the consi at 195

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Shapiro wrestling for 7th. My guess is he is a little outsized for 195. Just my guess!

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Even though he's not coming here, Max Lyon just got Team Iowa another national championship. Beat Jack Jessen 10-3 at 182. Lyon is going to Purdue, so hopefully he can beat up some Hawkeyes over the next 4-5 years.

Reactions: csteve

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Shapiro looked pretty small for 195, I don't think he will have trouble making 184 unless he really grows a lot this next year.

Nice tournament for the state of Iowa finishing 3rd. Hope we can get Millage.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Even though he's not coming here, Max Lyon just got Team Iowa another national championship. Beat Jack Jessen 10-3 at 182. Lyon is going to Purdue, so hopefully he can beat up some Hawkeyes over the next 4-5 years.

I can't believe Max Lyon is heading out of state. I assume he had offers from Iowa, ISU, and UNI, correct?

I've watched him wrestle for several years, and the kid is just a beast. I would have LOVED to see him at ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonenation5

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I can't believe Max Lyon is heading out of state. I assume he had offers from Iowa, ISU, and UNI, correct?

I've watched him wrestle for several years, and the kid is just a beast. I would have LOVED to see him at ISU.

Not sure he had much interest in ISU. I don't know if we went after him too hard either though, which is a little frustrating since he's going for engineering.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not sure he had much interest in ISU. I don't know if we went after him too hard either though, which is a little frustrating since he's going for engineering.

From what I gathered, we were late to the party. This is a kid that anybody who had a kid wrestling the aau circuit knew his name. I had heard that he was a little of an unknown to the staff, which was a head scratcher to me.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Max is a great kid and would thrive in an atmosphere where the kids have fun. I think Iowa is a little too serious for Max. I don't think he would put himself in a situation like the former ISU wrestling room. Max committed to Purdue when ISU was an absolute mess. Had KD and Co. been in place, maybe they would have made the short list.

Purdue's engineering school is considered one of the best in the country. ISU has a a great engineering program as well, but overall I think Purdue was a good fit. I communicated with KJ several times about Max and know they were watching him. Not sure how much interest they showed. I wish he would have been a Cyclone!

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Carr beat Joe Lee, #1 at 152 vs #1 at 160. Carr is going to be a good one. Not sure what our chances are anymore, but hope we are doing all we can.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
What is the common consensus on Carr? Do we think our chances are worse now that KJ and the Paulsons are not here? I just don't understand how that is the case, literally everything about the program should be better from a development standpoint with the new staff, based on VT results. What made KJ and company so attractive to high level recruits? We weren't producing any mat results with the previous regime, and were getting run off the mat by lower level teams regularly. It just seems odd that we would see a drop off there.

I know there is this huge thing about freestyle training, but look at the senior level results. The best college folkstyle wrestlers are also the best freestyle guys. The styles are not mutually exclusive. It just doesn't make sense. KJ was like the Dave Rice of wrestling.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Haha the Dave Rice comparison is funny. I can see that.

I think a lot of the recruiting success was from the Paulsons. They coached a lot of the kids he recruiting/got commitments from on the summer freestyle circuit. Storr is very very close with them. I honestly don't know for sure if freestyle is the concern for the Carr's. I've heard from a very reliable source that Nate wasn't/isn't happy with the way the past couple coaching staffs have been treated by ISU Administration (Pollard..) also with the way our program has been, I dont think he wants his son to come here. **I know it doesn't really make sense to me either - since this new staff has very proven results versus what KJ produced** David is an elite wrestler and a VERY elite freestyle wrestler. I think he ends up at tOSU and if not there, I think he ends up at Nebraska.

Sucks that we aren't in on him though (from what I've heard). He is as "legacy" as they come to ISU Wrestling..

Help Support Us

Become a patron