Battles

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
No, this isn't a thread about Ames' best barbecue. :wink:

I thought it was interesting to see some of the comments regarding the quarterback battle in light of the posting on cyclones.com regarding the scrimmage. Some people went to great lengths to wring every bit of detail out of a few words, while others seemed disgruntled that the deck seems stacked in Austen's favor. So, just for the heck of it, here's my two bits.

We can't really read inything out of a few words, especially with the battle at least a couple of weeks from being over. It really struck me that some people reacted strongly (both ways) to the comment about Austen throwing a "beautiful" long touchdown, when that's simply what he does.

Honestly.

The first time I saw Austen Arnaud's arm in action, it took my breath away. The guy just throws a beautiful ball, that's all there is to it. He has a strong NFL arm, quick release, and throws a perfect spiral. As Bill Murray would have said, "That's the fact, Jack".

But that's not all there is to it. For being a quarterback isn't just throwing a beautiful ball, it's making reads, doing checkdowns, hitting the receiver in stride, or on the correct side of his body as regards the defense. It's leadership, confidence, charisma, command of the offense, and a whole bunch more that I can't even begin to describe in a few sentences on a message board post.

Let alone claim to understand, never having played quarterback.

Still...Austen throws a gorgeous ball. That's all there is to it. And I suspect that when it arrives where it's going, it's also eminently catchable.

Anyone remember Doug Williams early in his NFL career?

On the other hand, Phillip Bates is exceptionally athletic. Indeed, in one play his freshman year, in most of our hearts he paid for every cent of his four (or five) year scholarship. He's earned his keep. But as a quarterback, he adds another dimension as a breakaway runner--and I don't think many of us will ever forget the impact of Seneca Wallace's wheels. He's also got quarterback skills, he's smart, he's driven to excel--and both he and Austen seem to have that leadership thing going.

The catch is that one or the other of them is going to have to demonstrate the greater (hopefully complete) mastery of the quarterback position--or the "beautiful ball" will be on the bench, watching the "explosive runner" pilot the offense. Or vice versa.

Else Jerome Tiller might find himself at the helm, sooner than we anticipate.

And truth be told, the two of them pushing one another is hardly a bad thing for the team. Competition good.

And sure, there are other battles--but for now, I'll stick with this one. It's too fun to watch.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
And I suspect, even given coach's comments about picking a number 1, that both will see playing time early. The depth chart may be decided by 8/28, but the future QB is going to take much more time. I think and hope we get the opportunity to see plenty of both of them on the field this season - unless one takes obvious charge. I just don't see that happening at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angie

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Hickory Park is a better restaraunt. Battles has better BBQ, it's not even close.

I was gonna say that HP has better all around food, sides and fried foods etc, but I do better in the smoker in my back yard. I worked there for 2 years in college and its their non BBQ food that I love. not a big fan of their ribs. The ribs I make at home fall off the bone.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I was gonna say that HP has better all around food, sides and fried foods etc, but I do better in the smoker in my back yard. I worked there for 2 years in college and its their non BBQ food that I love. not a big fan of their ribs. The ribs I make at home fall off the bone.

couldnt have said it better myself... oops it was me, forgot to sign out as my wife.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Hickory Park is a better restaraunt. Battles has better BBQ, it's not even close.

agreed. although i would argue that the old battles was a better restaurant as well. that little hole in the wall had some very real character to it, and although they did a respectable job moving to blimpie's it lost some of its mojo in the process.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006

Yep, I agree.

As for the QB battle, I do know from watching a practice here and there, Bates has the quicker release. Both have a quicker release than Meyer. But I think that it all comes down to who makes the better decisions and doesn't turn the ball over. They can both make all the throws. Bates offers an extra dimension with his running (not that AA can't run, he just isn't as gifted in that area).

IMO they'll both get a chance to prove it on gameday.

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
I made that comment about the "beautiful ball". I wasn't trying to apply that to the players at all. I just wasn't expecting to see beautiful in the football practice report.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
agreed. although i would argue that the old battles was a better restaurant as well. that little hole in the wall had some very real character to it, and although they did a respectable job moving to blimpie's it lost some of its mojo in the process.

I agree. I actually think the Battle's in Nevada has more mojo than the old Blimpie one now.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I'm going to have to go get a full pork tomorrow with a gigantic slice of texas toast now tomorrow.

tomorrow sounds like a good time to get that tomorrow. tomorrow.

lol, j/k :cute:

I am also gonna agree Battles = best BBQ, Hickory Park = better restaurant.

This QB situation has me really excited. From the looks of things (nothing against Bret, he was a good QB) but I think (at least at some point) we will say this has been an upgrade at this position. The both have quicker releases and seem to throw very good deep balls. Plus they are both more mobile. I cannot wait to see these upsides in action.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

All right, so apparently this is a thread about Ames' best barbecue after all. :wink:

Agreed about the restaurants--and when i was a student, the big attraction to Hickory Park was probably the sundaes.

This QB situation has me really excited. From the looks of things (nothing against Bret, he was a good QB) but I think (at least at some point) we will say this has been an upgrade at this position. The both have quicker releases and seem to throw very good deep balls. Plus they are both more mobile. I cannot wait to see these upsides in action.

As far as Bret--Phillip and Austen probably won't be running for their life/getting massacred nearly as much as he was, either. That tends to add a great deal to your "perceived capability"--let alone your actual capability.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
tomorrow sounds like a good time to get that tomorrow. tomorrow.

lol, j/k :cute:

I agree, it will definitely be an upgrade at QB this year.