This DM REG. HEADLINE IS A JOKE...

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006
ISU’s in-state troubles made worse by Iowa

This headline from the Des Moines is a complete joke. I think the Cyclones are overachieving for the talent they have. Let's get real here. GMac had:
-no recruitiing time
-patched together team
-could not recruit for his system
-virtually no one coming back from last year
I don't know what people expect, but AT LEAST WE ARE COMPETITIVE.
The Register knows the story, and are trying to "build up" the sorry Hawks at our expense. I like where we are headed. Let's keep our heads up and be positive. We have a winner here. Remember, UNI is winning with GMacs players and system.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I agree with letsgostate on this. The quickest way to get a winner is to bottom out and be able to offer top recruits four years of playing time and a chance to start immediately. Why do you think GMac didn't try harder to keep Morgan's players. He knows the gig. If you are just above average, you can end up there forever. Next year is the start of something special for ISU hoops. Watch a team of freshmen start and come together for great things.

Last edited:

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
After the game, I said to myself, "self, the headline is not going to be nice to the Clones after they didn't get the Chizik scoop".

This morning, I said to myself, "self, you were right again".

Pathetic, slanted to the east journalism.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
After the game, I said to myself, "self, the headline is not going to be nice to the Clones after they didn't get the Chizik scoop".

This morning, I said to myself, "self, you were right again".

Pathetic, slanted to the east journalism.

It will take them a long time to get over the Chizick break. The Rag gets a chip on their shoulder and they never let it go. But if we have to rely on the RAG to give us feel-good points, we are a sorry group. Screw them. The paper squaks rely upon is true to form.

FLYBOY1979

Apr 12, 2006
I do not understand why ISU fans get upset by what the HAWKEYE paper
prints. They never have been ISU fans and they never will be. The only
way to get their attention at the paper is do not buy it, and do not put
any ads in the DSM REG!!!!!!
15 years ago the Reg printed a full page ad for PETA. The livestock
ads disappeared right now. In a few WEEKS and $1,000,000 of lost income
the REG was on their knees asking the livestock people to put their ads
back in the paper. 10-20 people were let go because they had nothing to
do and because they had a really stupid idea.
I understand that it is the only paper in town , BUT IF you have to read it throw away the sports before you read anything.

GO CYCLONES !!!!!!

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Exactly, what is so bad about that headline? ISU lost to all of the in-state schools. We need to deal with it and move on. Actually, that headline seems rather tame compared to others I have seen from the Rag over the years.

ISU does not have a good team this year, so we all might as well get used to "uncomplimentary" headlines, because there are more losses to come.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Way to make a big deal over nothing.....the headline stated the truth...get over it

GoState

Jun 4, 2006
Beaverdale
When you lose a game, expect a crummy headline or bad photo (good for the winner, though). Before ripping on the DMR for being Iowa lovers, I cast my mind back to Wednesday morning. The nearly half page photo was of Haluska looking as if he just watched his dog run into the path of a truck. There's a thread complimenting the Register for it somewhere around here. How soon we forget....

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Most of you guys know this but for the few idiots out

there please STOP buying their freaking paper...This isn't that tough. All the news you want is free online at lots of places. Get the ames trib or the waterloo courier if you must. And don't stop there. Tell all your cyclone friends why they shouldn't buy this trash either. Believe me, there are enough cyclone fans in this state that if none of them bought or read the rag things would change in a hurry.

minnclone99

Nov 22, 2006
Rompots
Our team is not that good I understand.

One thing that kind of bugged me though was how their photo essay treated ISU like any other out of state team. All the photos were of ISU guys getting schooled, etc. Just my two cents here.

We'll get them next year.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
All the photos were of ISU guys getting schooled, etc.

Those are the pictures in my mind's eye as well! :sad9cd:

I can't recall any "kodak moments" for the ISU side; maybe some of the nice blocked shots in the first half? What else could they have put in the photo montage? A Wesley Johnson put-back of a Mike Taylor air ball?

Better days are surely to come of this mess...

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I haven't even read my paper yet (shows how much I care about the Rag) but the headline didn't bother me too much.

Maybe because they are assuming we have "troubles". Troubles is what we had last year when we underachieved. I thought we could get one of the instate games but it wasn't to be. We'll struggle to get to 15 wins but I'm alright with that.

knockando

Nov 8, 2006
Sioux City
Re: Most of you guys know this but for the few idiots out

there please STOP buying their freaking paper...This isn't that tough. All the news you want is free online at lots of places. Get the ames trib or the waterloo courier if you must. And don't stop there. Tell all your cyclone friends why they shouldn't buy this trash either. Believe me, there are enough cyclone fans in this state that if none of them bought or read the rag things would change in a hurry.

lol...this is hilarious. classic message board post. :laugh8kb:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
we just gotta relax and enjoy the positives....its a frustrating year, but hey we'll get there!

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I don't think the headline is that mean or anything, but isn't exactly a literary masterpiece. You figure they could come up with something a bit more witty.

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
It's always been a Hawkeye paper. For example...
Who remembers the time when Iowa State defeated the #3 Kansas Jayhawks in MBB? (this particular game back in the late 80's) Iowa gets the headlines (something really stupid) And the ISU victory got mention back on page 3 in a small article.