4th running back kicking some ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
Per the updates, sounds like Harris is having a good fall camp...

Camp Central: Defense Wins Second Scrimmage - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - Iowa State Cyclones Sports

I know that many of you have favorites, however, I don't give a rip if it is the guy who cleans the cleats that is gaining the yardage.... Seems to me that we are going to have 4 running backs that will offer different looks and rythms that will cause the D's problems! I really think we are going to surprise people this year. By game 3 or 4 I think it will be apparent if so or not.

Z

Last edited:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Would be nice to have 4 guys contribute, but I just don't see Harris doing much unless other guys get hurt.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
pretty safe bet any year, we usually know most of what we need by then.

Well, yes and no..... Last year we didn't really show anything till the last few games in my opinion. The kids finally started putting things together. I guess all I was saying is that we should know more, earlier this year. Yes I am not going out on a limb but just being hopeful! :)

Z

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Gotta love Jason Harris for switching positions for the best interest of the team.

Had he transferred to a MAC/WAC/MWEST school he would have been quite a stud IMO.

musicboy

Apr 10, 2006
Having 4 capable backs is a great problem to have! We can really cause some headaches with fresh legs, 2 back and 3 back sets. Imagine split back sets with JJ and Robinson next to each other. ISU did that in 2000 when they had Ennis and Michael Wagner.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I heard from someone on the football team that the offense is looking damn good in practice. He says the QB battle is awesome and they both determined to win the job, however, he thinks Arnaud is going to win the starting job. He says defense needs to pick it up quite a bit and they have some **** 2 work out. He also mentioned that Arnaud and Bates switch everyday working with the 1's

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I heard from someone on the football team that the offense is looking damn good in practice. He says the QB battle is awesome and they both determined to win the job, however, he thinks Arnaud is going to win the starting job. He says defense needs to pick it up quite a bit and they have some **** 2 work out. He also mentioned that Arnaud and Bates switch everyday working with the 1's

I just hope it is not the lack of D that is making us look ok. I keep praying that we will really like the defensive front seven we see on Aug 28th.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think for pure speed Harris is the man. Unfortunately, he is missing something in the eyes of the coaches. Most likely it is catching the ball, or holding on to the ball. It would be nice if they could get him in the game as a flanker like JJ Moses. Of all the talented guys on the team, for some reason, Harris is the guy that the Clones can't find a fit for.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
I think for pure speed Harris is the man. Unfortunately, he is missing something in the eyes of the coaches. Most likely it is catching the ball, or holding on to the ball. It would be nice if they could get him in the game as a flanker like JJ Moses. Of all the talented guys on the team, for some reason, Harris is the guy that the Clones can't find a fit for.

I never understood what was missing with Harris either?

Z

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I just hope it is not the lack of D that is making us look ok. I keep praying that we will really like the defensive front seven we see on Aug 28th.

I already like the defensive front seven--I just wish people would stop harping on it. :wink:

There is a lot of talent there, depth and flexibilty, and it looks like a position that offered little last year (rush end) is going to be very productive with Lyle and Parker. The linebackers are starting to suggest that we won't miss last season's starters at all--Cameron Bell will have people saying "Alvin who?" before too very long. And DT has a lot of diverse talents.

No one mentions safety depth, now that worries me. Of course, with the corners playing so well, i'm sure someone could switch in a pinch.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I already like the defensive front seven--I just wish people would stop harping on it. :wink:

There is a lot of talent there, depth and flexibilty, and it looks like a position that offered little last year (rush end) is going to be very productive with Lyle and Parker. The linebackers are starting to suggest that we won't miss last season's starters at all--Cameron Bell will have people saying "Alvin who?" before too very long. And DT has a lot of diverse talents.

No one mentions safety depth, now that worries me. Of course, with the corners playing so well, i'm sure someone could switch in a pinch.

I really want to believe this but you are taking an incredible leap without these guys playing significant minutes in the Big 12.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I really want to believe this but you are taking an incredible leap without these guys playing significant minutes in the Big 12.

Define "significant minutes". Frere started two years ago, and at the beginning of the season, and he's lost about twenty pounds. Bailey Johnson was a primary reserve as a redshirt freshman. Jerrod Black was redshirting--which is a far cry from saying he wasn't good enough to be playing. Austin Alburtis was still recovering from knee surgery, Chris Weir and Michael Tate (as well as Chris Lyle) adapting to Big XII football after juco--not an easy step for most.

At linebacker, Michael Bibbs and Josh Raven were the primary reserves at linebacker, and saw decent minutes. Fred Garrin has stepped up his game (as well as adding a few pounds) in a big way, and all three were behind experienced seniors. For that matter, Cameron Bell has been described as a physical freak, and he played a lot on special teams last year. Forgive him for not playing more minutes at linebacker, but he was not only behind both Bowen and Bibbs (Killer B's?), he spent most of camp last year playing running back. :wink:

Indeed, Parker and Lyle are my biggest worry in the front seven (aside from Jesse Smith's limitations), and Lyle looks like he's pushing Parker to a whole new level, and each is learning from the other.

Indeed, I exect the pass rush to be better not only because of the likes of Lyle, Black and Alburtis, it looks like they're using Garrin, Bibbs and Bell to blitz much more.

Frankly, if these guys didn't play "significant minutes", it's only because they were very young, inexperienced, and playing behind seasoned seniors. Were you really going to take the likes of Rubin or Bowen off the field? Especially because they deserved to be playing?

Sure, they all have to learn how to play together. That's what Spring and Summer practice is for. But there's a reason I'm not really concerned about the front seven. There's a lot of talent there--and they're playing hard.

Reactions: Swanson10

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
maccarney ruined jason harris.jason fumbled once and mac put him on defense.no better way to ruin a kid's confidence than reward him by switching him from offense to defense.chizik may see some long runs by jason this coming fall by bringing him back to the offensive side of the ball.good luck jason.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I kinda thing Jason fumbled more than just once, but whatever.

And keep in mind, Harris was known more for his defense in HS than he was running the ball.

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

And keep in mind, Harris was known more for his defense in HS than he was running the ball.

Jason's coach was quoted in an article saying that Jason never played defense in high school even though he got some all-state recognition as a DB. They don't know how the mistake was made, but he was on the offensive side of the ball exclusively as an upper classmen.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Jason's coach was quoted in an article saying that Jason never played defense in high school even though he got some all-state recognition as a DB. They don't know how the mistake was made, but he was on the offensive side of the ball exclusively as an upper classmen.

It happens in Iowa also, where a guy is really good at one position, but there happens to be another really good kid in the same district at that position.. Kind of a 1A 1B type thing. I've seen kids who barely played positions get named first team just to get that recognition.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

Does not surprise me, but I'd like to see that link.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006

Yeah, I seem to remember Harris fumbling like 3 times in his first 12 carries. That will get you switched to DB.