I Love Driving by the Stadium

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
So, I went to Lowes earlier for some home improvement items (Damn Ants) and went past the stadium. The crews were out setting up the chair backs and they were also removing the block "Iowa State University" on the top of the upper deck on the east side. I love driving by this time of year and seeing all the work being done to get ready for the season. This past week alone they have already changed the back of the scoreboard, put down straw for new grass, and put the tents up. I love college football and I definitely got the itch. It's gonna be a fun season.:yes:

musicboy

Apr 10, 2006
I wonder why they are taking down the IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY? I can see removing the Cys...maybe to replace them with I-STATES?

musicboy

Apr 10, 2006
That makes a ton of sense, since most people probably realize they are at Iowa State University.:smile:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The brick "gateway" on University just north of Mortensen also says "Iowa State University."

NWIAclone

Apr 11, 2006
Lake Okoboji
So, I went to Lowes earlier for some home improvement items (Damn Ants) and went past the stadium. The crews were out setting up the chair backs and they were also removing the block "Iowa State University" on the top of the upper deck on the east side. I love driving by this time of year and seeing all the work being done to get ready for the season. This past week alone they have already changed the back of the scoreboard, put down straw for new grass, and put the tents up. I love college football and I definitely got the itch. It's gonna be a fun season.:yes:

Have they been watering the hillside grass seed by hand? It kind of looked like someone was out there on the web cam. Lots of area for someone with just a hose.:smile:

SVT

Nov 9, 2006
Cedar Rapids
This sure makes me miss the days when I lived in the shadows of Jack Trice, just a few blocks away. Cedar Rapids just isn't as close when you start talking about this stuff when before it was a 5-10 minute walk to see what you were talking about with my own eyes.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
They had the Iowa State and one of the Cy's down this afternoon on the side of JTS.

I really like coming into Ames anymore. The brick pillars on Univ. Ave., and the back of the scoreboard is stunning in comparison to what it was, now it just pops.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
I rode up there Friday evening, and things are looking great, I'm getting excited for the season! I missed out on all of this anticipation the last few years when I was living out west. In fact, the last time I was in Ames leading up to a football season I sat in the rain at the spring game, and then we went 2-10 :sad:.

I love the IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY lettering on the side of the stadium, and am sorry to see it go. However, I think JACK TRICE STADIUM will look pretty sweet assuming that is what's replacing it!

I also am a fan of the brick pillars on Elwood Drive (yeah, that's right, Elwood). Another poster in a different thread mentioned how cool it would be if they built an archway or any kind of sign spanning the road that said "THIS IS CYCLONE COUNTRY". That would be awesome!

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
They had the Iowa State and one of the Cy's down this afternoon on the side of JTS.

I really like coming into Ames anymore. The brick pillars on Univ. Ave., and the back of the scoreboard is stunning in comparison to what it was, now it just pops.

I had an opportunity to drive up to Ames recently, and I hate the new lettering on the back of the scoreboard. Just seems tacky to me. But hey, whatever gets us more motivated to get that south end zone in. :wink:

But I agree, I love the new brick "gate" leading into the sports complex coming in from University Ave. Once the renovations are complete on the south side there, the official "entrance" is going to look stunning. A far cry from my first impressions of ISU when I came for my first college visit in the summer of '03...

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
Why the hell would they change the name? That straight irritates me....and I'm not sure why.
They changed it from Elwood Drive to University Boulevard on the argument that visitors to the university didn't know where to get off the highway in order to find campus (despite numerous signs pointing out the exits) and that it was entirely necessary to have a road named such that it beats people over the head with information... It happened September 2007. I believe they will be re-honoring Professor Elwood by naming the new Design addition after him, or some BS like that.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
They changed it from Elwood Drive to University Boulevard on the argument that visitors to the university didn't know where to get off the highway in order to find campus (despite numerous signs pointing out the exits) and that it was entirely necessary to have a road named such that it beats people over the head with information... It happened September 2007. I believe they will be re-honoring Professor Elwood by naming the new Design addition after him, or some BS like that.

Maybe in protest I won't use that exit anymore....:no:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron