Millage of New Hampton looking at ISU

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
https://iawrestle.com/2017/05/02/michael-millage-gives-iawrestle-a-recruiting-update/

As far as what the future holds for Millage the New Hampton star wrestler stated his options remain open on where he will be headed after high school. In March he provided IAwrestle with a list of schools that had shown interest early in his recruiting process: North Carolina State, Iowa, Virginia Tech, Nebraska, UNI, and Minnesota.

After a month and a half, which included two unofficial visits, not much has changed, but he did mention that he had been talking to another school since our last update.

“Not really,” Millage said on whether or not his list has changed since his March interview on IAwrestle,” I have been talking to Iowa State a little bit. They can be thrown (in the list) too. I am open to anything.”

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
https://iawrestle.com/2017/05/02/michael-millage-gives-iawrestle-a-recruiting-update/

As far as what the future holds for Millage the New Hampton star wrestler stated his options remain open on where he will be headed after high school. In March he provided IAwrestle with a list of schools that had shown interest early in his recruiting process: North Carolina State, Iowa, Virginia Tech, Nebraska, UNI, and Minnesota.

After a month and a half, which included two unofficial visits, not much has changed, but he did mention that he had been talking to another school since our last update.

“Not really,” Millage said on whether or not his list has changed since his March interview on IAwrestle,” I have been talking to Iowa State a little bit. They can be thrown (in the list) too. I am open to anything.”
New Hampton = good school.;)

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I have a friend close to NH and says he's a great kid. People have tried to label him as a malcontent due to his transfer from Cresco but it was honestly a personality clash with the Cresco coach. He's certainly talented.

As csteve said, do not count out UNI. The NH coach and Schwab are very close friends and NH has already sent a couple of wrestlers to UNI.

• Agree
Reactions: csteve

Cyfan33

Jun 13, 2017
Heard he was at the new Hampton townhall social and also at the crtc lately. Any news on him coming here?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wonder if letting UnI into the big 12# will hurt us some. We had some did teams to mentioned competition that they didn't.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I have a friend close to NH and says he's a great kid. People have tried to label him as a malcontent due to his transfer from Cresco but it was honestly a personality clash with the Cresco coach. He's certainly talented.

As csteve said, do not count out UNI. The NH coach and Schwab are very close friends and NH has already sent a couple of wrestlers to UNI.

I've heard some of my Cresco friends say that other talented wrestlers left the school district because of the coach, so there seems to be a trend that reflects more on the coach than the wrestlers. I don't really know anything, but there seems to be smoke to that fire.

RossIAwrestle

Mar 27, 2014
Any other details that you can share? Seem like ISU has a shot with him?

I know he worked out with St. John while he was there, and I think he rolled with Zadick too, but it could have been Metcalf. I don't think he really looked at ISU until the new staff took over.

I have no clue who the leader is for him. I think he likes a lot of schools for different reasons and connects well with several coaching staffs. Not the best answer for you, but I don't think he is close to making any decisions, unless something really clicks with him.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Heard he was at the new Hampton townhall social and also at the crtc lately. Any news on him coming here?

I was at the social in NH a couple weeks back and Millage spent a LOT of time talking to the ISU coaches. Slifka and a few of the Crestwood wrestlers were there as well and I didn't see any awkward moments. Everyone I know in NH says the same thing as was mentioned earlier in the thread, that Millage has been a model student and team member. He would be a great get for the ISU program.

On a side note, that event was great. There were probably around 100 people there, which was pretty good considering it was thrown together in the matter of a few weeks. It raised over $30,000 for the CRTC, thanks in large part to Porky Lynch. There were some very cool live auction items that brought good money. Dresser said he wants to make it an annual event and I see no reason why the next one wouldn't be even better as the word gets out. I had friends that wanted to go but couldn't make it work because of kids' ballgames etc. I told Dresser he'd probably get a better turnout if he did it on a Wednesday night in early April when there are no school events and before field work is in full swing. If anybody has the chance to go to one of these in your area, I'd highly recommend it.

Cyfan33

Jun 13, 2017
I just saw pics on social media so I have no idea of his interest level but I hope its high.;)

cyclonenation5

Jul 12, 2013
Ames

Millage is definitely a stud. Will be the odds-on favorite to be a 3x State Champ/4x finalist after this season, with his only runner-up finish being to Josh Portillo, who was a senior and is now at South Dakota State. Sounds like a hard worker and all-around good kid, would love to have him here. It'll be interesting to see how he does on the national level the next two off-seasons as well.

Side note: there are a ton of really, really good lightweight upperclassmen in Iowa for next season. Would be pretty cool to see Teske/Thomsen/Millage all go at it at some point. Hell, you might be able to throw Biscoglia and Reeves in the mix there if they grow a bit.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Millage is definitely a stud. Will be the odds-on favorite to be a 3x State Champ/4x finalist after this season, with his only runner-up finish being to Josh Portillo, who was a senior and is now at South Dakota State. Sounds like a hard worker and all-around good kid, would love to have him here. It'll be interesting to see how he does on the national level the next two off-seasons as well.

Side note: there are a ton of really, really good lightweight upperclassmen in Iowa for next season. Would be pretty cool to see Teske/Thomsen/Millage all go at it at some point. Hell, you might be able to throw Biscoglia and Reeves in the mix there if they grow a bit.

Millage went toe to toe with Thomsen in a match last season. Thomsen won on a questionable takedown, though he did generally control the pace.

Millage is the #1 reason they held an event in NH. No coincidence.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonenation5

Cyfan33

Jun 13, 2017
Where does everyone think he fits in the lineup? Assuming 41? I see he is signed up for junior duals at 38. My friends from uni say he is getting big and has been working out there a lot this summer. Worried that uni may have the inside track on this one....