1957 BB squad ( and Gary Thompson) vs. KU and Wilt the Stilt

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Boy wouldn't it be great to see some film on Gary Thompson, the Roland Rocket? That was just a few years before my time, and after seeing this vid on YouTube, I realized I've never even seen videos (none at that time) or film on this great Cyclone.

That was a different game back then, in many ways, but it would be nice to get a feel for his game. And to be able to compare him to some of the better guards that came after him.

Thoughts on the Rocket, from those that saw him?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado

Boy wouldn't it be great to see some film on Gary Thompson, the Roland Rocket? That was just a few years before my time, and after seeing this vid on YouTube, I realized I've never even seen videos (none at that time) or film on this great Cyclone.

That was a different game back then, in many ways, but it would be nice to get a feel for his game. And to be able to compare him to some of the better guards that came after him.

My dad passed away in 2013, but he was the Daily sports editor at the time and got to know Gary pretty well. I believe he may have taken some of the photos shown in that video. My grandpa, who was an ROTC sergeant at the time, had an office in the Armory.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
I saw the Rocket against Nebraska in Lincoln. He was a heady player and a great shooter. Gary was like a coach on the floor.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
A few things I didn't know about Gary T: He beat out out Wilt C. for Big 7 Player of the year in '57. He was 2nd Team All-American that year. He was 1st player in school Hx to score 40 pts in a game. He was a star Shortstop and helped lead ISU baseball team to semi-finals of 1957 College World Series.

And he was battling non-Hodgkins lymphoma in 2016. Any one know how Gary is doing with that?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: IA_Cyclone70

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I had some fun in ticket line for the NCAA games in Milwaukee. I was standing next to some players for a university that wasn't in the tournament and Gary Thompson walked by. I told them that he beat Wilt Chamberlain, but they didn't believe me until I Googled a few articles to show them on my phone.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Wonderful recap.

I never knew the teams dressed at State Gym and bused to the Armory. What a totally different era.

By no means downplaying Hilton Magic, but the atmosphere Thompson describes (along with attendance at the game and "storming the court" photos) — it isn't entirely the venue that matters, it's Iowa State fans.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
That's a very interesting video. I knew of the Wilt game, but it's always fun to hear again as you pick up new details.

Most interestingly enough is that my parents weren't even born yet at the time of this game. Both would be born in the following months but . . .
vauEUgn.gif

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Somewhere I used to have (don't know if I still do) the AP article from the Iowa City or Muscatine paper after that game. Surprisingly small article and headline (or maybe not). If I ever find it I'll be sure to photograph it and put it on CF. Although it might be available through their archives.