CAMPBELL: Complete uniform/image overhaul coming

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
That's what I was trying to get at. Forget what Kagavi's uniforms above look like, just trying to get the colors right.

I don't want us to look like anyone else, and he points out in his blog post about how our original colors are unique, but we need to be very true to those colors to make it work. Too much off, we look like FSU, BC, or even the 49ers.

The upside if we get it right though? Amazing. A unique look/color scheme that is ours alone and gives us more freedom to create unique uniforms combinations as well. Win win for everyone.
It seems like they can't ever get the colors right. I can't understand why

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
just trying to get the colors right.

Like this?

Adding-Jack16.jpg

Yes; I prefer these colors. Maybe a slightly more muted/darker gold. Matte helmet.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Does anybody have any information or a picture of the original cardinal and gold cloth that defines our school colors? Aren't they in Special Collections in Parks somewhere?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
@CYCLNST8

Happy happy joy joy!

Thank you.

So it is a Cyclones.tv video.

Anybody know which one of them it would be?

Time to fire up that subscription...

I think getting our colors right back to that original, once and for all, should be paramount, but just looking at it, I think we are actually close (if not perfect) right now.

Sucks for the "khaki-gold" lovers, though, given that looks more like the yellow-gold. :p

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Would you be kind enough to link to the gold color tweets you're referring to and also some of the other hints?

C1Xb1OzVEAA2Z8t.jpg:small

Please blow my mind and tell me that Kagavi is on the design team! That would be awesome.

Not me, but Amestoplease should be with his updated Cyclone logo.

I think getting our colors right back to that original, once and for all, should be paramount, but just looking at it, I think we are actually close (if not perfect) right now.

I love the history behind those two scraps of fabric, yet actual execution was all over the map. Gold sometimes appeared as gold, sometimes yellow. No rhyme or reason to it, just purely availability of fabrics. Generally speaking, I have seen more references to gold versus yellow in surviving memorabilia from the earliest days. Evidence of this can be seen in ISU Alumni Center memorabilia from an ancient story I did from 2013. Pretty pictures here:

As far as red and yellow go, there is one iconic college team that is known for that combo (hint: not ISU). Look at it from a purely business and branding perspective for the next 100 years. Why did ISU change back to the yellow color of the University of Iowa after decades of using true gold? True gold is undeniably more sophisticated, yet Jack Trice wore yellow and so did other ISU icons such as Fred Hoiberg, Dan Gable, and Johnny Orr.

To keep the "rebrand" as timeless as possible:

Step 1: Keep I-STATE as school logo and Cy as mascot logo.

Step 2: Designate solid color/stencil I-STATE logo as primary, relegate beveled for special needs only.

Step 3: Add back updated Cyclone logo as MISSING nickname logo.

Step 4: Make color scheme more unique by choosing from options below:

A - Keep current cardinal and yellow, substitute white with light gray (aka STORM) as third color. (White kept as alternate neutral.)

B - Keep current cardinal, switch yellow with true gold. (White and light gray used as needed.)

(Note: in either choice, the "losing" gold/yellow color could still be used for some alternate uniforms across all sports, but not as the official school colors.)
Step 5: Do many more throwbacks and faux-backs utilizing old logos, etc. Really take advantage of the unique Cyclones nickname, both in color and scheme.​

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Kagavi liked the “I” sweater or jersey worn by the son, Wayne Frake, in the 1945 Rogers and Hammerstein version of the movie State Fair.

I don't know whether it was official ISU wear, but before, Kagavi thought it possible that someone just called Iowa State up and had it shipped, rather than the studio making it in-house. The color scheme is interesting and includes grey elbow reinforcements. Per a comment I saw last year on YouTube, the color in the film won't degrade or change much if at all as it was filmed in (expensive) technicolor. So the colors should still be true and match the originals.

Sorry, but I am not certain how to link to a particular point in the film via my phone. You can see Wayne in the sweater at the following points, with the biggest shots of it towards the end of the first segment, and at the beginning of the second:

11.20 - 12:40

14:25 or so

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Here was one of the old thread concepts with the stencil logo:
(I believe this is an "amestoplease" original : )
View attachment 47886

I go way back and never have seen ISU look better than during the Dirty Thirty days, which these resemble. That's tradition that most youngsters don't even know existed. But it was a classic look nonetheless with the gold pots, cardinal jersey and gold pants. As a boy growing up in Sioux City, I dreamed of watching Clay's squad someday. ISU unies have been trash ever since. So there!
images
images
images

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron