Friday OT #2 - Defining Acts

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I think this would be a great future topic. Just list the first 5 albums you ever owned, without trying to lie to make your early years sound cooler than they were.
I absolutely agree that this would be a great topic and I am probably going to be totally embarrassed about my first 5 albums.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
REM, Night Ranger, U2, Elvis, The Cars, Bryan Adams (before he became wedding music guy), Van Halen (1984 specifically) and the Beatles. Billy Joel's music from before he met Christie Brinkley had lyrics that blew me away and Tom Petty's stuff prior to Full Moon Fever did the same.

Also, Boston's delayed release of their 3rd album was really important to me. I still can't decide if the fact that it was delayed because the flying guitar on the original cover wouldn't have actually been able to fly was really cool or really stupid.

Did I name enough? I can name more.
Oh, and Simon and Garfunkel.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I think this would be a great future topic. Just list the first 5 albums you ever owned, without trying to lie to make your early years sound cooler than they were.
I had 45's first. :)
And coolness flies out the window when one of the first albums you bought was "The Monkees". :oops:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Definitely one of the biggest CDs at the time of my youth. I still give Significant Other a listen from time to time, more for nostalgia.

Found my lucky coin in Des Moines!

It's astounding that I not only listened, but thought Fred Durst's lyrics were worth repeating.

He was so awful.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I grew up in such a music void. The Rock in Sioux City played the same Zeppelin, Seger and Steve Miller songs all the damn time (have they changed at all?), so it really limited what I was exposed to.

I think you mean Rock 98.

I grew up in the same void but had started to listen to a lot of punk rock/hardcore about age 12. A friend of mine had an older brother who was really dialed in to the local punk scene, especially MPLS bands on Amphetamine Reptile Records who would come to SC.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Two different eras in my life:

13, 14, 15 = Audioslave, Shinedown, Metallica, Nirvana, Soundgarden, STP, Linkin Park. Anything to rebel against mom and dad. Still listen to it, but not as much.

College Years = I got really into Cross Canadian Ragweed and have fallen down the rabbit hole of Country Music (Non-Radio). Jason Boland and the Stragglers, Reckless Kelly, Mickey and the Motorcars. That has moved way more towards the Americana/Alt-Country Spectrum. Right now my top two are Jason Isbell and Cody Jinks.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
It's definitely got an early 2000s flavor to it.

Radiohead
Interpol
The Mountain Goats
Godspeed You! Black Emperor

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I think you mean Rock 98.

I grew up in the same void but had started to listen to a lot of punk rock/hardcore about age 12. A friend of mine had an older brother who was really dialed in to the local punk scene, especially MPLS bands on Amphetamine Reptile Records who would come to SC.

Yeah, you're right. I've been in KC too long and got my stations mixed up.

I should have included a heavy punk influence as well. In my later high school years a friend of mine got me listening to a lot of older punk (Ramones, Misfits, Joan Jett) and I was ticked that it took me so long to discover that sound. I found myself gravitating towards the driving beats and raw sound and lyrics. My small town (1500 of us) never got in on the local stuff sadly, but I was turned onto Green Day and Offspring well before either got any radio play.

A buddy of mine used to work at the record store on Welch and would always bring some new music back to the apartment before it ever got radio play.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Two different eras in my life:

13, 14, 15 = Audioslave, Shinedown, Metallica, Nirvana, Soundgarden, STP, Linkin Park. Anything to rebel against mom and dad. Still listen to it, but not as much.

College Years = I got really into Cross Canadian Ragweed and have fallen down the rabbit hole of Country Music (Non-Radio). Jason Boland and the Stragglers, Reckless Kelly, Mickey and the Motorcars. That has moved way more towards the Americana/Alt-Country Spectrum. Right now my top two are Jason Isbell and Cody Jinks.

Not to terribly derail, but my 2 year old at present demands to hear "Seven Nights in Eire" by Reckless Kelly on repeat. Can't wait until he shows up at daycare declaring he's "liquored up and gearin up for 7 nights in Ireland."

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I grew up listening to KIOA and WOW during the day and WLS and KAAY (remember Beaker Street?) at night. Lot of nights listening to Clyde Clifford on Beaker Street under the covers on my dinky transistor radio, hoping Mom didn't hear.......

So I grew up with Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Stones, BTO, etc. I played the trumpet in high school and jazz band was my very favorite thing - so then I found Maynard Ferguson, Buddy Rich, Woody Herman and his Thundering Herd (I got to sit in with those guys at the Tri-State Jazz Festival in Sioux City as a senior, what a blast THAT was) and so on.

I pretty much enjoy all types of music except the old honky-tonk style of country music. Mostly I listen to jazz musicians like Gregg Karukas, Peter White, Dave Bos, etc but I still like classic rock the best.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I had 45's first. :)
And coolness flies out the window when one of the first albums you bought was "The Monkees". :oops:

One of my first, if not the very first, was their second album, More Of the Monkees. I was able to convince my Mother to buy it for me, which almost didn't happen. She saw long hair on the cover and decided not to get it. Fortunately my Grandmother told her it was okay.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've had several different awakenings, similar to other posters. Here are a few I remember.

1. Getting a tape of Led Zeppelin 2 from a buddy about 6th grade. Up until that point, I had only listened to pop radio. This shredded open my ears and left me wanting more. Still a Led Zep fan to this day.

2. Getting access to MTV2 when it still played videos in the early/mid 90s. This opened up the world of Blur, Radiohead, Soundgarden, RATM, AIC, etc. This was really the intro into modern music and still a basis for what I listen to today.

3. College. I worked in a lab with a girl who was obsessed with indie music. Built to Spill, Neutral Milk Hotel, Shins, Dismemberment Plan, etc. all came out of this.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Living in Eastern Iowa, there was a great alternative station out of Muscatine called KFMH. They played everything in the 1980's. From The Stones, Who, Doors to The Smiths, Depeche Mode, R.E.M. you could get everything.
My older brother was a great influence as well. He turned me onto Dire Straits and older Bruce Springsteen (Born to Run and The Wild The Innocent and the EStreet shuffle) from an early age.
But the truly defining act of my teenage years was R.E.M. during the Reckoning, Fables, and Life's Rich Pageant era.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Growing up, my buddies had lots of older siblings (all Catholics) that I was influenced by. And when your allowance was $0.50 a week, you really picked carefully.