Iowa Football Recruiting

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Not saying he isn't good. I'm saying he isn't Ross Pierschbacher who was one of the best in the country and had the offers to prove it. Downing is a regional recruit and even the big boys in the Midwest region haven't offered him. If he was as good as you think he is he would have interest/offers from
Nebraska, Michigan, MSU, Notre Dame, etc.

Don't take everything as a slight, he is good, just not some recognized national recruit is all.

I think TYler LInderbaum is going to end up being a stud for Iowa..He has no other P5 offers other than ISU..WHy? Because the nebraska, michigan etc..of the world dont wanna waste their time and spend resources when they know the kid is 100% Hawkeye. Happens with in state kids quite a bit. No one ever said Downing was some top 5 recruit in the country...no one. What i do know is Iowa, Kstate, MIzzou and others wanted him and if they did then im glad ISU got him.

• Winner
Reactions: The_Gent

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
This Iowa class is not looking good for Iowa standards. Usually at this point they have a couple 4 star studs and some very good 3 star kids committed..take out the punter and kicker for this ISU class like we should to measure it and ISU class is not only ranked higher but the per avg rating is also higher not to mention the number of P5 offers comparing the 2 classes.. Iowa blew it with last years class after that Rose bowl season and the ENO debacle.

Coaching only takes u so far in cfball..talent is 50% of it or more...and CMC is putting together classes with as much if not more talent. U take out legend boy from last year Iowa class and the ISU class is above the Iowa class by every measurable..but hey he counts so..

And yes KF puts lineman in the NFL and thats great for them but CMC and staff had 4 kids drafted from Toledo this past draft whom they recruited and developed their entire career basically. Won't be the last either. Problem for Iowa fans is they don't want to admit what is coming..and that is an ISU program that is about top reach heights the state has never seen before. It's coming soon so strap in and cover your eyes Iowa fans.

Hawkmi1987

Jun 27, 2016
Newton, Ia
I think TYler LInderbaum is going to end up being a stud for Iowa..He has no other P5 offers other than ISU..WHy? Because the nebraska, michigan etc..of the world dont wanna waste their time and spend resources when they know the kid is 100% Hawkeye. Happens with in state kids quite a bit. No one ever said Downing was some top 5 recruit in the country...no one. What i do know is Iowa, Kstate, MIzzou and others wanted him and if they did then im glad ISU got him.
Agreed. It's sometimes fun to poke fun at talk S%$# but in the end Downing and Linderbaum are both big time recruits. I equate it to recruiting sons of college coaches. Patrick McCaffery for example. College coaches /aren't going to waste their time/resources recruiting him because the writing is on the wall. (Play for daddy) I'm all for some clever baiting and ribbing but I also like to have intelligent conversations with fans from rival schools to get their insight as well. That said I care less about ISU than you do about Iowa.....(Am I doing that right?)

Reactions: TheJackWePack5

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
This Iowa class is not looking good for Iowa standards. Usually at this point they have a couple 4 star studs and some very good 3 star kids committed..take out the punter and kicker for this ISU class like we should to measure it and ISU class is not only ranked higher but the per avg rating is also higher not to mention the number of P5 offers comparing the 2 classes.. Iowa blew it with last years class after that Rose bowl season and the ENO debacle.

Coaching only takes u so far in cfball..talent is 50% of it or more...and CMC is putting together classes with as much if not more talent. U take out legend boy from last year Iowa class and the ISU class is above the Iowa class by every measurable..but hey he counts so..

And yes KF puts lineman in the NFL and thats great for them but CMC and staff had 4 kids drafted from Toledo this past draft whom they recruited and developed their entire career basically. Won't be the last either. Problem for Iowa fans is they don't want to admit what is coming..and that is an ISU program that is about top reach heights the state has never seen before. It's coming soon so strap in and cover your eyes Iowa fans.

There is so much fail in this post it is hard to know where to start.

I have heard this same stuff when Mac was here, when Chizik was hired, when Rhoads went to 3 Bowl games in 4 years, and now again after Campbell won 3 games. Iowa just doesn't know what is coming. Haha

Second of all last years class for Iowa included a 5* recruit, you can’t take him out of the class, and to say well if you did, is just dumb.

Ferentz has always gotten very mediocre recruiting class, and yet he has gone to 14 bowl games in the last 16 years. Has 5 top 10 finishes in the last 16 years. Has 2 B1G championships in 16 years. Has 3 BSC bowl game appearances in 16 years, and has 2 National coach of the year awards and is a 4 time B1G coach of the year.

That was all done with similar or worse for the most part recruiting. He has proven he spots and develops talent. If Campbell can do as well as Fererntz has done at spotting, developing and coaching similar recruiting class, then you have found a stud of a coach. Until he proves he can do that, it is all just pie in the sky hopes and dreams for Clone fans. Not many coaches have shown they can win consistently with similar recruiting class as Ferentz (Wisconsin can, Snyder can, Dantonio can). It is a short list for guys who can consistently do that over 16+ years.

• Dislike
Reactions: Rural

breck53

Aug 29, 2008

The delusion is real-lmao! Lololol

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Every last failed football coach they have had they had said the exact same things. Mac, Chizik, Rhoads, now Campbell. As soon as Clone fan stop believing the hype about a coach, Pollard fires them and then all the fans believe This crap again with the new hire.

I can't really disagree with what you've said here. Unfortunately, it's the state of our program. However, there are "unique" characteristics under Campbell that we have really seen from other head coaches. Take last season for instance. We started off pooooor. We we flat out bad. But as the season went along, we saw marked improvement. There's no denying that. The next thing we're seeing is the recruiting aspect. Campbell's classes are some of the best in recent history. Probably top 5 overall (last year's class anyway). Lastly, the way these guys connect with the recruits. All over social media and constantly pushing out media and new looks. We don't have a winning tradition to fall-back on, so these guys are doing what they need to do to get on the map with kids. Will it work long-term? Dunno. However, it appears to be heading in the right direction.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013

According to 247, Iowa has had 3 guys ranked 4 or 5 star since 2012. There were two last year, including Epenesa, who committed in January. Wirfs didn't commit until December. There were none in 2016 and in 2015, James Daniels was a 4-star who committed in July. There none in 2013 or 2014. So, in the last six years, there has been exactly one commit who was either a 4 or 5 star recruit committed to Iowa at this point. Sounds like "usually they have a couple 4 star studs at this point".

• Agree
Reactions: Hawkmi1987

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016

Who are the 4 star studs that Iowa has had committed this early in past years?

And basically what you are saying is take out ISU's 2 worst commits this year and take out Iowa's best recruit last year and the classes are pretty much the same. It doesnt work like that.

Iowa's 2018 class and football program are in great shape. ISU, well at least you will be getting a uniform overhaul it sounds like!!!

• Dislike

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Who are the 4 star studs that Iowa has had committed this early in past years?

And basically what you are saying is take out ISU's 2 worst commits this year and take out Iowa's best recruit last year and the classes are pretty much the same. It doesnt work like that.

Iowa's 2018 class and football program are in great shape. ISU, well at least you will be getting a uniform overhaul it sounds like!!!

#ThoseGuysInAmes

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Probably doesn't have anything to do with the relationship he has made with the staff. I mean he's only been one of their top targets since they stepped foot on campus.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ball-recruiting-2018-matt-campbell/329585001/

"Trevor Downing committed to Iowa State football because the school has agriculture at the core of its academic offerings."

"They’re great people, and academically, they’ve got everything that I want. I want to study ag business.”

"Honest to goodness, he selected a school based on an academic major."

"This Downing story is almost too good to be true. A high school football star makes the first big decision of his life based on academics."

"Iowa State sold the farm — and that’s more than just an oft-used figure of speech. Campbell and offensive line coach Tom Manning, whose combined farm knowledge adds to zilch, walked Downing and his family around Iowa State’s Ag 450 Farm. That’s the nation’s only completely student-run farm at a land grant institution, the school’s website says."

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ball-recruiting-2018-matt-campbell/329585001/

"Trevor Downing committed to Iowa State football because the school has agriculture at the core of its academic offerings."

"They’re great people, and academically, they’ve got everything that I want. I want to study ag business.”

"This Downing story is almost too good to be true. A high school football star makes the first big decision of his life based on academics."

"Iowa State sold the farm — and that’s more than just an oft-used figure of speech. Campbell and offensive line coach Tom Manning, whose combined farm knowledge adds to zilch, walked Downing and his family around Iowa State’s Ag 450 Farm. That’s the nation’s only completely student-run farm at a land grant institution, the school’s website says."
Pretty cool. Good luck to the guy.

Reactions: YeahBuddy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

file

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa

And to counter that:

http://247sports.com/Article/Iowa-o...r-Downing-growing-Iowa-State-relatio-52019838

“[Iowa State] told us last time we were up there that they think going elsewhere to visit is just going to grow our relationship better at Iowa State because it’ll show how much they spend time with you and how they’re so original with how they recruit,” Downing said of his increased visit schedule. “Our relationship with Iowa State is really, really good. Outstanding. So that’s the main thing for Iowa State is the relationships they have going right now."

To pretend that Iowa simply lost Downing due solely to his major is silly. Par for the course, but silly.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

You left this part out from that article:

Iowa State was the first to offer a scholarship. Iowa State’s always the to offer, it seems.

“That was important,” Lesa said, “and so was how close coach Manning and Trevor became. He was in Creston one day, when he sensed that something was bothering Trevor, and he was right. He’d just got done talking to three recruiters — and Trevor’s not a kid who likes to hear people say how great he is.

“So coach Manning said, 'Yo, Trevor, what’s up? I can tell something’s wrong.'

“I guess that right there defines the relationship they have.”

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
You left this part out from that article:

Iowa State was the first to offer a scholarship. Iowa State’s always the to offer, it seems.

“That was important,” Lesa said, “and so was how close coach Manning and Trevor became. He was in Creston one day, when he sensed that something was bothering Trevor, and he was right. He’d just got done talking to three recruiters — and Trevor’s not a kid who likes to hear people say how great he is.

“So coach Manning said, 'Yo, Trevor, what’s up? I can tell something’s wrong.'

“I guess that right there defines the relationship they have.”

So 4 blurbs on the major and one on how ISU is always the first to offer?

My point stands.

• Dislike
  • Funny
Reactions: srjclone and Rural

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
And to counter that:

http://247sports.com/Article/Iowa-o...r-Downing-growing-Iowa-State-relatio-52019838

“[Iowa State] told us last time we were up there that they think going elsewhere to visit is just going to grow our relationship better at Iowa State because it’ll show how much they spend time with you and how they’re so original with how they recruit,” Downing said of his increased visit schedule. “Our relationship with Iowa State is really, really good. Outstanding. So that’s the main thing for Iowa State is the relationships they have going right now."

To pretend that Iowa simply lost Downing due solely to his major is silly. Par for the course, but silly.

A 2 month old article? Nice try.

And is that premium info?

• Dislike