Friday OT #1 - Niggling Annoyances

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks to @Farnsworth for this one! I think it's very relevant to a lot of us - here is the topic in Farnsy's own words:

Itches that you just can't help but scratch. Those annoyances or things that could wait but you have to do right away for whatever reason.

Like, as an example - if there is part of a price tag left on something, or remnants of a sticker, I have to pick at it until it's all gone. If I mistype something and I notice it (there are plenty of times I don't), I have to go back and fix it - I can't just say, "Eh, they know what I meant."

What are yours?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If I see messages in my inbox, I have to check them, and then file them, regardless of the time of day. No idea how people leave hundreds of emails (especially unread) in their inbox.

The way I set up my inboxes on my phone, I have two separate inboxes for my main email (my mistake, but it fixed another problem), and when I read the message in one inbox, there's always a lag before it marks read in the other, which drives me crazy, even though I know what the email says and know it's already deleted from the other. Sometimes I'll delete both, but it will also frequently disappear when I go to delete it, so I end up deleting another message and have to go back and pull one I wanted to save out of the trash.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
If I see messages in my inbox, I have to check them, and then file them, regardless of the time of day. No idea how people leave hundreds of emails (especially unread) in their inbox.

The way I set up my inboxes on my phone, I have two separate inboxes for my main email (my mistake, but it fixed another problem), and when I read the message in one inbox, there's always a lag before it marks read in the other, which drives me crazy, even though I know what the email says and know it's already deleted from the other. Sometimes I'll delete both, but it will also frequently disappear when I go to delete it, so I end up deleting another message and have to go back and pull one I wanted to save out of the trash.

I can't stand that stuff. Janny is fine with notifications all over his phone, but it makes me all twitchy.

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
Household chores.

I grew up in a small house, so my mom would keep things very clean and organized to maximize space, which worked. I now live in a small apartment with my fiancé and 99 times out of 100, I'm doing all the household chores as I almost can't settle down for the night until they are done.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er and Angie

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

This is the reason I thought about this topic. I can't stand notifications of any sort being left undealt with. Even when I was tagged in the OP for this thread I had to go and clear that yellow notification even though I knew what it was for. Same when I hit the button on my phone and I see stupid little notifications for like games, I have to clear them even though I know what they are.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Leaves, or any debris, really - on the driveway. Yes, my garage is a disaster area and there may be grass in the flower beds but I HAVE to sweep or blow the driveway clean at the expense of any other outdoor tasks.

A close second are those little sucker growths that come up next to the trunk of a tree. They need to be nipped. Nipped in the bud, RIGHT now. When I see people with those I want to ask their permission to trim them.

Reactions: jcyclonee and Angie

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
When my daughter can't recognize that the dishwasher needs to be unloaded. It's about the only thing we make her do (I know, bad parenting). When dirty dishes start piling up on the counter, guess what? The dishwasher needs to be emptied!

Speaking of that, I hate the way my wife loads the machine. Such a waste of space! I can get probably twice the dishes in as she can. I think she does it on purpose.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I'm pretty relaxed about most things but the remotes must go in the basket for the remotes. My wife and kids always leave them lying on the couch and they always end up in the cracks of the couch when they do. Then, when they can't find the remotes, I always ask them to move because it's underneath them. They always say that it isn't underneath them and when they finally relent, it always is. What's more is that I hardly ever watch TV. I'm not sure I want to end this rant.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

My email at work. If you saw the amount of crap I get. One person has sent 5 updates this morning to a weekly meeting invite. It has gotten to the point where any emails in regards to one client they copy me on and I have no idea why. never mind the glut of junk email the company sends out.
Email.JPG

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
My email at work. If you saw the amount of crap I get. One person has sent 5 updates this morning to a weekly meeting invite. It has gotten to the point where any emails in regards to one client they copy me on and I have no idea why. never mind the glut of junk email the company sends out.
View attachment 47900

No idea how one would maintain a sense of control over your day with that many (even if I knew all were junk, I'd be worried there was something in there I missed).

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and 1100011CS

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Folding Laundry. I hate it so much.

My household one is dishes in the sink. Drives me nuts. My wife thinks cleaning the kitchen consists of moving what is dirty into the sink. I can't go to bed until the sink is emptied.

Reactions: Angie