Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
good article. It's hard for people to hear, but it's the truth. The NCAA is not going to punish Baylor. Probably not at all, and certainly not to the degree that most people want.

The article says it, but Penn State was a huge check on the NCAA's power. They got absolutely slapped down.

The NCAA is not a criminal enforcement body, and universities know it now. They'll have lawyers lined up so fast, the suits will be filed before the ink is dry on the sanction notices.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Could've just said "football money trumps all" and saved themselves some typing.
It's not that. It's simply not under the NCAA's purview. They don't have the power to punish for this. I don't know if they ever did, but they certainly don't, post Penn State.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It's not that. It's simply not under the NCAA's purview. They don't have the power to punish for this. I don't know if they ever did, but they certainly don't, post Penn State.

They never had the power, but that's by design. There is no way they're opening the door to put themselves in a position to do something that hurts the bottom line, and that comes from football.

I fully understand their Penn State slapdown. The article even points out that they had an opportunity to do something and reconsider things then. There's just one big reason that will never happen, and that's football money. No one's letting that go until the bubble bursts.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
If the Big XII tries to kick Baylor out of the conference, will they be able to? I would think television contracts and Baylor's lawyers would make this difficult.

• Agree

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
If the Big XII tries to kick Baylor out of the conference, will they be able to? I would think television contracts and Baylor's lawyers would make this difficult.

The Big 12 kicking BU out would have the same result as the NCAA punishing BU...lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits...

• Agree

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
They never had the power, but that's by design. There is no way they're opening the door to put themselves in a position to do something that hurts the bottom line, and that comes from football.

I fully understand their Penn State slapdown. The article even points out that they had an opportunity to do something and reconsider things then. There's just one big reason that will never happen, and that's football money. No one's letting that go until the bubble bursts.

I totally agree that football runs the NCAA show, but I don't think in the case of Baylor, that it's the reason they aren't being more aggressive with punishment. Football money is the reason that the situation at Baylor was allowed to get as bad as it was, but the NCAA isn't thinking about Baylor's football dollars when they're deciding to sit on the sidelines and not go after them. They're thinking about Penn State and how they tried to make a big display of power and extract their pound of Nittany flesh, and it backfired spectacularly on them. The NCAA is in a very weakened position, right now, when it comes to enforcement. Between what happened at Penn State, the University of Miami investigatory debacle, and how UNC has dragged things out, the league office looks like a paper tiger. They're not going to stick their noses into something unless they're 100% sure they have jurisdiction. And that's not the case, here. It's not football dollars keeping them out of Waco, it's the threat of further exposure as a toothless entity.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and jkclone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I totally agree that football runs the NCAA show, but I don't think in the case of Baylor, that it's the reason they aren't being more aggressive with punishment. Football money is the reason that the situation at Baylor was allowed to get as bad as it was, but the NCAA isn't thinking about Baylor's football dollars when they're deciding to sit on the sidelines and not go after them. They're thinking about Penn State and how they tried to make a big display of power and extract their pound of Nittany flesh, and it backfired spectacularly on them. The NCAA is in a very weakened position, right now, when it comes to enforcement. Between what happened at Penn State, the University of Miami investigatory debacle, and how UNC has dragged things out, the league office looks like a paper tiger. They're not going to stick their noses into something unless they're 100% sure they have jurisdiction. And that's not the case, here. It's not football dollars keeping them out of Waco, it's the threat of further exposure as a toothless entity.

After the PSU fiasco I don't think the NCAA cares about anything other than getting paid. They lay the hammer down where they can get by with it and let the name brand teams do what ever they want.

Unrelated if all this finally blows up (conference realignments) playoffs etc.. I hope we get Sigmopolis's conference of an upper Midwest,if it would come together somehow. That would be a dream conference for ISU.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
What's sick is that kids still get recruited and go there. This should punish them enough athletically but back door money has to keep them coming.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron