MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I'm more concerned with the pitching

Honestly, Arrieta and Butler are the biggest concerns. Arrieta had been terrible his entire career except for an 18 months span in late 2014 to early 2016. Outside of that window, he is horrible. So it's hard to suddenly expect him to be good again. If the Cubs can sell him for a decent haul at the trade deadline, I fully expect it to happen. That said, no team is dumb enough to trade for crappy Arrieta in his contract year.

Butler is another story. If he can be consistent, which we'll find out in the next month or so, then the Cubs got a steal. Otherwise, it's time to trade for a controlled, starting pitcher. Even if Butler can't be consistent, he can go to the bullpen with Montgomery taking the 5th spot. 97 mph and movement will play from Butler.

At this point, it's all about Arrieta to be honest IMO. He has a WAR of -0.6 through 7 starts.... gross

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I have said multiple times here don't get too attached to Happ because he's blocked at multiple positions to be able to be a full time time player so he'll be used as a trade chip for a young pitcher with multiple years of team control. That may still happen but he hasn't looked too bad in CF so far that if he keeps hitting the way he has that it's possible they use him like they have with Baez Zobrist and Heyward and find a way to keep him in the lineup by shuffling guys based on the matchup. They strange part of this arrangement is that both Almora and Jay have hit fairly well in limited action and Almora is a gold glove caliber CF if he played every day so it's a bummer that a talented player like Almora can't catch a break because of the depth on this roster squeezes him out more times than not.

I wish Candelario would just catch fire while he is up so they can max out his trade value as there is no way he is anything more than a bench player because he is not going to replace Bryant or Rizzo. He's 13 for 90 with 26 K's and 4 walks in limited MLB action and that 29% strikeout rate isn't helping his trade value but he's also 23 and was tearing it up in AAA prior to his call up so he still is young enough for someone to have the flexibility to continue to develop his talent in the minors and allow him to adjust to MLB hitting.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Honestly, Arrieta and Butler are the biggest concerns. Arrieta had been terrible his entire career except for an 18 months span in late 2014 to early 2016. Outside of that window, he is horrible. So it's hard to suddenly expect him to be good again. If the Cubs can sell him for a decent haul at the trade deadline, I fully expect it to happen. That said, no team is dumb enough to trade for crappy Arrieta in his contract year.

Butler is another story. If he can be consistent, which we'll find out in the next month or so, then the Cubs got a steal. Otherwise, it's time to trade for a controlled, starting pitcher. Even if Butler can't be consistent, he can go to the bullpen with Montgomery taking the 5th spot. 97 mph and movement will play from Butler.

At this point, it's all about Arrieta to be honest IMO. He has a WAR of -0.6 through 7 starts.... gross

I don't see them trading Arrieta, if anything he's killing his value right now in the free agent market which could allow the Cubs to have enough leverage to get him on a shorter more affordable contract in the off season as he sure won't get ace money if he keeps this up. He's been reliable and healthy and eats up innings and when he has control and hits his spots he's a very serviceable middle of the rotation pitcher on an average day.

Butler is basically trying to catch lightning in a bottle right now. The expectations are low so all he has to do is eat up some innings and keep the Cubs in the games he pitches and that is about all you can ask for a 5th starter. Starting pitching is what the Cubs are in the market for regardless where they stand at the deadline. I don't expect them to overpay for a rental but as long as they are in the playoff hunt you can't rule out a trade for a rental pitcher that doesn't require trading a top prospect to get. If there is a quality starter on the market with multiple years of team control the Cubs surely will be in play with 3 of the 5 opening day starters on the last year of their contracts but it will have to be just the right deal for them to pull the trigger if a top prospect is involved. Plus Montgomery will be in the mix for a rotation spot too, he still could be this year too if they get an injury or Butler is just a 1 start wonder.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
No way they trade Happ. He's the younger version of Zobrist with being able to play multiple positions. He's almost forcing the Cubs hand by playing him everyday and his performance has been stellar.

Candelario is gone during trade deadline. I also wonder if Caratini who has been playing well as the ICubs catcher could be shipped elsewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: HoustonClone

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
No way they trade Happ. He's the younger version of Zobrist with being able to play multiple positions. He's almost forcing the Cubs hand by playing him everyday and his performance has been stellar.

Candelario is gone during trade deadline. I also wonder if Caratini who has been playing well as the ICubs catcher could be shipped elsewhere.
I agree with this. Baez is more likely to be traded, IMO.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Not on tv in central IA tonight?? Went to stream the CSN link and realized it's not on CSN tonight. Local channels think these tv series are more important apparently

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
How about them standings!!

DAFaJY5UIAAqsiX.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron