Franchises

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Quizno's is the bomb! I am really sad they are failing so hard all over the place, what gives. All of them in Omaha closed when I lived there, and I see only one is surviving in all of KC.

There's still a decent amount in the DM area. 3 I know of.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Quizno's is the bomb! I am really sad they are failing so hard all over the place, what gives. All of them in Omaha closed when I lived there, and I see only one is surviving in all of KC.

edit yikes: Had 5000 locations 10 years ago, now only 900.

That is what happens when you are more expensive than your main competitor(s) and try and justify the higher price base largely on an entire ad campaign promoting the fact that you have hot subs vs their cold subs.

Their competitors adjust by adding ovens.

Quiznos is toast (pun intended).

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
That is what happens when you are more expensive than your main competitor(s) and try and justify the higher price base largely on an entire ad campaign promoting the fact that you have hot subs vs their cold subs.

Their competitors adjust by adding ovens.

Quiznos is toast (pun intended).

Wasn't it a large part of the reason so many franchises closed that Quizno's insisted that franchises buy their ingredients from the Quizno's corporation, but they charged an exorbitant amount and it wasn't as fresh as local? I might have heard misinformation, but I thought that there was some issue with the supply back when the Ames and other ones closed.

Edit - that was the original reason, yes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/karstenstrauss/2015/06/17/is-quiznos-toast/#22cdb9f322cd

But I'd gather that higher price has hindered them from resurging since they restructured.

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
I don't know what kind of person you are, but if you find a spot in a wealthy part of DC, I think The Exercise Coach could be a decent fit. From the link that capitalcityguy posted, it is $95,000 to start. They advertised on this website for a bit, and I did the free trial. If I was older and had extra money I would be interested in it.

Sounds interesting, I will take a look.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
pepperjax

I also went to Pepperjax first as they are exploding. I knew they would after their first few locations in Omaha. DC might be a ways out of there area as of right now as name recognition helps drive business/marketing in the midwest.

I think this would be an easy one though. Really small menu, limited ingredients to have on hand, fast to get users in and out so low staffing levels. Menu is pricey so hopefully decent margins.

The only thing that could get you is how much they are charging you for their beef/chicken patties. It's insane what they try to sell them for in the stores.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Not familiar with either. Info?
Up-Down is the barcade in Des Moines. There is also one in Kansas City with an identical name and logo so I'll assume they are the same owner/franchise.
http://www.updowndsm.com/
There is also a "franchise" called Barcade in the Northeast but according to their website they aren't franchising.

Ricochet in Des Moines is a place where you pay a cover and get unlimited access to games like ping pong, pool, shuffleboard, etc. It's BYOB and a fun place to hang out. It's probably something you would have to start on your own rather than a franchise though.
http://www.ricochetdsm.com/

Reactions: Cyhops

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Open up a dog daycare place. Tons of people in cities have dogs and work long hours.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Going to the Web and just having people throw stuff out tells me you don't have a clue what you want to do. That's a terrible environment to start a business in. You need something you're either good at or passionate about or its going to fail. Even if you are good or passionate the odds say it's still going to fail. Starting with nothing? Financial suicide.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I would be so scared to get into a franchise. I knew someone who got into a flooring franchise and the whole process probably ended up costing her $100k out of pocket to get out of. Another thing to think about is what's popular today may not be just a few years down the road. Just look back 10 years and some of the top franchises were Quiznos, Curves, Krispy Kreme, etc.