POLL: Should the Big 12 get rid of Baylor?

Based off of the latest Baylor report, what should the Big 12 do?

• Kick them out of the league. Enough is enough.

Votes: 239 64.2%
  • Still need to way for the legal process.

Votes: 87 23.4%
  • Stick with them.

Votes: 46 12.4%

• Total voters

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
What if the KU basketball dorm scandal has players charged with sexual crimes? Do they get kicked out?

Suppose the Bubu Palo scandal had any merit - does ISU get kicked out too?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/hig...hows-many-experience-report-sexual-assault-ut
does Iowa State or KU have the same issues of the inmates running the asylum as Baylor does? Because if the same thing is occurring in other programs, then I would give them the same option: shut the program down until you can fix the problem or get out. But the Bubu situation isn't similar enough (even if there was merit) to warrant the same response

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
does Iowa State or KU have the same issues of the inmates running the asylum as Baylor does? Because if the same thing is occurring in other programs, then I would give them the same option: shut the program down until you can fix the problem or get out. But the Bubu situation isn't similar enough (even if there was merit) to warrant the same response

I just think it's a weak argument to say "Baylor needs to be punished" and the only punishment is to disassociate them from some type of oversight for their athletic department. That's not a punishment - that's the status quo. That doesn't help victims, it doesn't punish the perpetrators, and it has no effect on Art Briles. So what kind of punishment is that?

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
What I want to happen and what should happen are two different things.

The legal process should be seen through, but personally I just want them gone.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I emotionally voted to kick them out but realistically need to see the legal process play out before punishment is levied.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytasticlone

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
I'm glad I'm not part of the group that needs to make this decision. On one extreme you have kicking them out which seems like a simple, gut reaction that would likely go too far (even though I'm certain you could plug and play SMU in their spot and no one would even notice) and on the other side of the spectrum you have deals put in place where they are required to 'create awareness' and 'start a dialogue' which are two ideas that have never accomplished anything beyond being overused buzzwords.

There has to be a middle ground that has heavy sanctions and rules put in place that if broken carry dire consequences. A multi year (5ish?) probationary period with heavily slashed conference payouts and a strict set of rules that must be followed to gain full membership back. If they don't meet the requirements or if they refuse to accept the punishment, then you give them the boot.

Reactions: NWICY and 3GenClone

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I just think it's a weak argument to say "Baylor needs to be punished" and the only punishment is to disassociate them from some type of oversight for their athletic department. That's not a punishment - that's the status quo. That doesn't help victims, it doesn't punish the perpetrators, and it has no effect on Art Briles. So what kind of punishment is that?
In and of itself it might not help the victims, but that's why you give them the ultimatum. And it's absolutely a punishment; kicking them out of the big 12 will really hurt their finances, and that is how you punish Baylor. Because punishing the individuals isn't going to change anything, you need to punish the institution

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
What if the KU basketball dorm scandal has players charged with sexual crimes? Do they get kicked out?

Suppose the Bubu Palo scandal had any merit - does ISU get kicked out too?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/hig...hows-many-experience-report-sexual-assault-ut

If the ku players show that it has been happening for nearly a decade with staff having some knowledge, boosters and coaches helping to cover for players, police hiding files, etc...then yes kick them out as well.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
I also don't feel you can wait for the entire legal process to run it's course. The legal proceedings could take years and the further Baylor can push this back the more the situation will be forgotten. It could easily go three - four years and all you'll hear about it is a small blurb about Baylor paying a settlement out of court.

If the B12 wants to set a precedent that they will not allow this type of behavior, they need to do it now for maximum effect, this isn't something that can simply wait for due process. Frame the situation as Baylor doing irreparable harm to the B12 brand and drop the damn hammer.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Out of curiosity, if Baylor is removed from the Big 12, what happens next? We would need at least one replacement, I would suspect Houston being the top option. Expansion could be back on the table, but again, who is valuable enough to add?

Additionally, if Baylor is out, how does that affect the current GoR? If the Big 12 is at 9 teams, does that give OU and Texas the openings to pack their bags without the monetary ramifications? Would that be the end of the Big 12? Upside is if Baylor is tainted or under the death penalty, it clears up a spot for ISU at the 64 seat table (P5+ND).

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Nothing really ever happened to PSU if I remember right. Lost a few schollies, vacated some wins that they got back (if I remember right), eligible for Bowls way earlier than originally planned. It's nice to act all high and mighty but it's the NCAA and they won't punish the cash cow that is college FB, and never punish established programs (looking at you Tarheels with fake degrees.)

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Nothing really ever happened to PSU if I remember right. Lost a few schollies, vacated some wins that they got back (if I remember right), eligible for Bowls way earlier than originally planned. It's nice to act all high and mighty but it's the NCAA and they won't punish the cash cow that is college FB, and never punish established programs (looking at you Tarheels with fake degrees.)

The only thing you can pretty much guarantee by kicking BU out is that BU will sue the Big 12 and the NCAA, and likely win, just like PSU.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Out of curiosity, if Baylor is removed from the Big 12, what happens next? We would need at least one replacement, I would suspect Houston being the top option. Expansion could be back on the table, but again, who is valuable enough to add?

I would have to imagine Houston would at least be breakeven on that, financially. Baylor doesnt exactly have a huge fanbase to begin with, Houston has some upside once elevated to a major conference.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Ideally, get rid of them. Their athletic department(at a minimum) deserves the death penalty. Like Penn State, you could argue that the institution as a whole deserves the death penalty and should be disbanded.

Barring that, the conference sets the conference schedule. Eliminate home games from their schedule for some extended period of time (say 8 years) and have them playing in Ames the last weekend in November forever.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
doesn't matter. i voted kick them out but the ncaa will say "these are serious allegations and we need to let the justice system set the stage for any decisions we could make."

and then 5 years will go by, everyone will have forgotten, and the victims will still be fighting Baylor, except alone.
The NCAA the death penalty on SMU
Are

How do you suggest the Big 12 punishes Art Briles and the "perpetrators?

You kick them out to show other schools that this **** isn't tolerated. How is that not helping reduce the number of future victims?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If they clean house and are appropriately punished by the NCAA (not given the Penn St joke of a punishment), they will have served their time. If the NCAA lets the skate, I hope the league will act, take away revenue, home games, neutral site games etc...

• Agree
Reactions: majorcyfan

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
Wait for information and facts. We all live in America, we all understand sometimes patience is required when it comes to due process.