POLL: Should the Big 12 get rid of Baylor?

Based off of the latest Baylor report, what should the Big 12 do?

• Kick them out of the league. Enough is enough.

Votes: 239 64.2%
  • Still need to way for the legal process.

Votes: 87 23.4%
  • Stick with them.

Votes: 46 12.4%

• Total voters

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Legal process has to be completed first. That's how it (should) works here.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Kick them out.

BZTctFqCEAATWYJ.png

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I voted stick with them. Kicking Baylor out is ignoring an issue that is rampant across campuses. Baylor should absolutely be punished - especially if these lawsuits have merit and more details of the Pepper Hamilton Report come out. If the Big 12 kicks Baylor out then Baylor will just continue to police themselves - how is that any safer for students?

I've pitched an idea that Baylor is fined by the conference and should be required to play PSAs in the stadium and on TV broadcasts about how to prevent sexual violence and report offenses to their local jurisdiction. I also think that Baylor should pay $1 million every year to each of the Big 12 schools for 4 years (or however long it can be determined that sexual crimes took place under Briles). That money would go towards setting up awareness programs that identify things like domestic/sexual violence and on-campus counseling. Baylor would also be required to start their own program with their own finances.

Kicking them out of the conference seems harsh - but it's a "pat on the back" for the other institutions that are guilty of similar (but far-less graphic) offenses. Kicking them out doesn't do anything to solve a very serious problem.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
This is stupid. We better have a replacement school right away. The best we might get is Houston or rice though. Is that what we want? If we had 12 teams already, then yeah. We do not have the luxury of being less than ten teams if we want our tv money. This is one major reason we needed 12 schools.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: isutrevman

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I voted to kick them out because this crap is deplorable and I don't want them sharing money earned by the conference

I do have a question, though: Does one team's actions really impact a conference image that much? I don't remember the Big 10 receiving a big black eye from the JoePa mess. I don't recall the Pac 10/12 even being mentioned during the whole Reggie Bush scenario. North Carolina has allowed basketball players to cheat and hasn't received as much as a hand slap from what I can tell. Most people seem to confine the misdeeds of a university to the university, unless it becomes apparent that there is a common thread throughout the conference.

Again, I'm not defending Baylor in the least and I'm not giving equal weight to the other scenarios I listed in comparison to the atrocities at Baylor. I'm just mentioning a talking point about conference image.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I voted to kick them out because this crap is deplorable and I don't want them sharing money earned by the conference

I do have a question, though: Does one team's actions really impact a conference image that much? I don't remember the Big 10 receiving a big black eye from the JoePa mess. I don't recall the Pac 10/12 even being mentioned during the whole Reggie Bush scenario. North Carolina has allowed basketball players to cheat and hasn't received as much as a hand slap from what I can tell. Most people seem to confine the misdeeds of a university to the university, unless it becomes apparent that there is a common thread throughout the conference.

Again, I'm not defending Baylor in the least and I'm not giving equal weight to the other scenarios I listed in comparison to the atrocities at Baylor. I'm just mentioning a talking point about conference image.
No, I don't think it really has an effect on our image. I think the big 12 needs to punish them (at minimum)/kick them out because otherwise you're condoning their behavior

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I voted stick with them. Kicking Baylor out is ignoring an issue that is rampant across campuses. Baylor should absolutely be punished - especially if these lawsuits have merit and more details of the Pepper Hamilton Report come out. If the Big 12 kicks Baylor out then Baylor will just continue to police themselves - how is that any safer for students?

I've pitched an idea that Baylor is fined by the conference and should be required to play PSAs in the stadium and on TV broadcasts about how to prevent sexual violence and report offenses to their local jurisdiction. I also think that Baylor should pay $1 million every year to each of the Big 12 schools for 4 years (or however long it can be determined that sexual crimes took place under Briles). That money would go towards setting up awareness programs that identify things like domestic/sexual violence and on-campus counseling. Baylor would also be required to start their own program with their own finances.

Kicking them out of the conference seems harsh - but it's a "pat on the back" for the other institutions that are guilty of similar (but far-less graphic) offenses. Kicking them out doesn't do anything to solve a very serious problem.
Baylor needs to police themselves, that shouldn't be anyone else's responsibility. Kicking them out sends a message that life is more important than football. This wasn't a single mistake, this was prolonged behavior ingrained into the Baylor athletic program. It wasn't that long ago their head basketball coach tried to cover up a murder one of his players committed. I highly doubt this is only a problem in the football program.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
This is stupid. We better have a replacement school right away. The best we might get is Houston or rice though. Is that what we want? If we had 12 teams already, then yeah. We do not have the luxury of being less than ten teams if we want our tv money. This is one major reason we needed 12 schools.
BYU. Houston wouldn't be any worse than having Baylor.

• Creative
Reactions: CY88CE11

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Baylor needs to police themselves, that shouldn't be anyone else's responsibility. Kicking them out sends a message that life is more important than football. This wasn't a single mistake, this was prolonged behavior ingrained into the Baylor athletic program. It wasn't that long ago their head basketball coach tried to cover up a murder one of his players committed. I highly doubt this is only a problem in the football program.

And they have been - that was the problem. The Big 12 has an opportunity to set an example.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
No, I don't think it really has an effect on our image. I think the big 12 needs to punish them (at minimum)/kick them out because otherwise you're condoning their behavior

What if the KU basketball dorm scandal has players charged with sexual crimes? Do they get kicked out?

Suppose the Bubu Palo scandal had any merit - does ISU get kicked out too?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/hig...hows-many-experience-report-sexual-assault-ut

The study's results, a portion of which were first reported Thursday by The Dallas Morning News, shows 15 percent of undergraduate female students surveyed at the University of Texas at Austin said they had been raped and 13 percent of graduate or professional women on campus had experienced "crude sexual harassment perpetrated by a staff or faculty member" since enrolling.

• Disagree
Reactions: surly

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
One thing to note if we kicked Baylor out. We already have done ALL the homework on other schools that were interested. And I'm guessing any of them would jump at the opportunity.

• Agree
Reactions: surly

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron