Hockey in central Iowa

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It's an absolute blast. They even have a podcast and broadcast some games on youtube. I'll leave a link to give you an idea of the level of play. I wouldn't call it beginner because I guess the former beginners have now been playing for years. Don't let that scare you though because the true beginners (sounds like that doesn't fit you) improve so much as the year goes on and have a great time anyway.

I've heard they are thinking about splitting up the D league into an actual novice league and those not quite ready for C league. The problem seems to be finding ice time because the league is growing beyond Des Moines' arena capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCALiNu6nRMutwnxH1n1RpBg

I quickly skipped through one of the games and I think I would be fine holding my own. I'm a pretty strong skater as I used to aggressive inline skate growing up (during that short period when it was cool).

I'll probably try to sign up for the Fall/Winter league. I just need to start collecting equipment as I have nothing.

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
I quickly skipped through one of the games and I think I would be fine holding my own. I'm a pretty strong skater as I used to aggressive inline skate growing up (during that short period when it was cool).

I'll probably try to sign up for the Fall/Winter league. I just need to start collecting equipment as I have nothing.

I would try market place and there is also an equipment exchange page on Facebook.

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
DSM area is woefully ill equipped for growing interest in hockey. Our two facilities are in piss poor shape compared to the surrounding metros. Rumor is there's a new facility in the works in West Des Moines just west of Jordan Creek mall.

The Wild practice at metro all metro have to do is use the money from that and put that back in the facility. It doesn't help metro is under new ownership every other year but it's be great if they would at least deep clean the place! Both sheets of ice kin of speak for themselves on how poor quality they are. As for WDM putting up a facility, If they did they won't get many leagues (maybe figure skating) to pay WDM prices.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Just announced that there is going to be a new League in Des Moines. D1- Above Novice and D2- Straight Novice.

Do you have a link for this? I'm curious if this is a breakup of the Buc's D league or a new league all together.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
It's on the FaceBook pages for D League.. It would be considered the breakup/coup of the Buc's D League.
I like that decision. I'm not sure how everybody else will feel about it, but I'm sure it will grow the league. What the d league was this year would probably be intimidating at first for a true beginner.

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
I like that decision. I'm not sure how everybody else will feel about it, but I'm sure it will grow the league. What the d league was this year would probably be intimidating at first for a true beginner.

Yeah, I'm glad in that aspect for the true beginners. But, as far as the rest of the politics go wait and see mode. I am still trying to get them to get some ice time in Ames (wide open) hopefully put the Ames league out of business.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
See this discourages me, I was hoping to come into D and have a wide range of novice's, now I think I'm a tweener.

Although as a hockey noob, D2 sounds awesome for D2: The Mighty Ducks (I'm sure actual hockey players hate ducks references).

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
See this discourages me, I was hoping to come into D and have a wide range of novice's, now I think I'm a tweener.

Although as a hockey noob, D2 sounds awesome for D2: The Mighty Ducks (I'm sure actual hockey players hate ducks references).

Those movies are what got me started in hockey.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009

That'd be no big deal. You could just start in D2 and move up after a few games if you want to. They accommodate moves in season to make sure players are in the right spots.

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
The big problem with the D League now was that people wouldn't be forced to play up that were obviously better.