Burton
Holdin

I think if we reach our potential at the end of the year it will be
Monte
Naz
Matt
Young
Holdin

Prohm said for the team to max out, Burton needs to average a double double. I don't see him doing that coming off the bench.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Burton will be arguably the biggest playmaker on the floor. My guess is, He will start at the 4, but play the 3 most of the time. The big question will be how many minutes Naz, Thomas and Jackson get throughout the year. If we don't play small the majority of the time, I can't imagine they get more than 26-28 minutes a game which is crazy. We really need our posts (Young, Carter, Lard) to see big strides though the year to help Bowie and Holden contribute.
And who knows where Babb fits into this roster. Will be a wild ride.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I don't see us have a starting line up where our bigs are Babb at 6-5, and Burton next at 6-4. If Burton starts, Babb wont, IMO.
Didn't Mizzou or someone lose to Liberty in the Dance a few years ago because they had like a 5 guard lineup?

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I don't see us playing a 4 guard lineup and I am not convinced Burton will start at PF. As others have mentioned he needs to develop focus and consistency to be a starter. Additionally, if Burton starts at PF he needs to show he can average 7ish rpg. I would be thrilled if Burton can take his game to the next level.

I think our best starting line-up and provides the best blend of offense,defense and rebounding would be:

PG Morris
CG Jackson
WG Thomas
PF Malou
PF Holden

The first guys off the bench are Mitou-Long at CG or WG, Burton at WG or PF and Bowie at PF. I see that as our core 8 with Babb getting minutes based on match-ups. I don't expect consistent minutes for Young, Lard or Carter- but they could surprise.
Did anyone tell him?

• Funny
Reactions: cyclonestans

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Didn't Mizzou or someone lose to Liberty in the Dance a few years ago because they had like a 5 guard lineup?

Missou lost as a 2 seed the year they played 4 guards. I wouldn't say starting 4 guards was the reason they lost though. Duke lost as a 2 seed the same day and they only started 3 guards.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

That sounds right. They went through a stretch where they were very guard-oriented. They had good guards and were fun to watch but I think you are right they got knocked out early.

I love a 4 guard line-up, and even using the line-up that Mtown threw out there if the situation calls for it, but that starting 5 would be silly.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Villanova won the Championship last year with a 4 guard lineup. But Ochefu is bigger than anyone ISU has and better than anyone has at that spot. But off the bench they only had a couple of 6'7 6'8 guys. So it can definitely be done.

Also, is there anymore news on Jackson's wrist?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I think we will start the season with
Monte
Naz
Matt
Burton
Holdin

I think if we reach our potential at the end of the year it will be
Monte
Naz
Matt
Young
Holdin

If Burton is getting beat out by Young that is bad sign and they wouldn't be reaching their potential

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and Dingus

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Villanova won the Championship last year with a 4 guard lineup. But Ochefu is bigger than anyone ISU has and better than anyone has at that spot. But off the bench they only had a couple of 6'7 6'8 guys. So it can definitely be done.

Also, is there anymore news on Jackson's wrist?
Prohm said everyone is healthy but that may of been coach speak for the media day. Jackson is in my class and I never see him complaining about it. I don't think that's a good barometer for it though.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Guess we really just need to speculate on the Center at this point with Prohm naming 4 starter at Big 12 Media Day.

@dylanmuntz Prohm didn't name his fifth starter, but said Merrill Holden and Darrell Bowie are both candidates.

@dylanmuntz Said in a perfect world, the fifth guy would be Holden (given his size) but Bowie has practiced well lately.

@dylanmuntz So as it stands, the starters would probably be Morris, Mitrou-Long, Thomas, Burton and Holden. Not set in stone, but likely.

Of course we still can debate 1-2-3 off the bench for fun.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Morris
Mitrou-Long
Thomas
Burton
Holden
---
Jackson
Weiler-Babb
Bowie

Long and Young are talented but young. They will have a chance to compete for playing time with next year's talented class with an advantage in system familiarity/experience.

Never saw much from Carter.

Eight-man rotation it is.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
http://cyclonefanatic.com/2016/10/who-will-be-iowa-states-starting-five-for-game-one-on-nov-11/

“I don’t want to say who’s going to start,” Prohm said at Big 12’s annual media day event on Tuesday. “If you look at the front court guys right now, probably Burton, Merrill and Bowie. Then Solomon, those are the four guys right now that are up front.”

This can't be overly encouraging for Simeon Carter. I realize he didn't show much last year, but I was hoping to hear his name mentioned more favorably in the off-season.

• Informative
Reactions: Bryce7

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
If we land Stokes and/or Lard, I would seriously doubt Carter ever does anything besides add depth.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Morris
Mitrou-Long
Thomas
Burton
Holden
---
Jackson
Weiler-Babb
Bowie

Long and Young are talented but young. They will have a chance to compete for playing time with next year's talented class with an advantage in system familiarity/experience.

Never saw much from Carter.

Eight-man rotation it is.
Young will play

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy

WesRuby

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2014
I am very interested in seeing who everyone has for their starting five. I keep hearing 'four guard lineup' and I'm curious as to where Burton will end up in the rotation. Much more depth this year that creates some interesting match ups. Thoughts?

Monte Morris
Matt Thomas
Naz Long
Deonte Burton
Merrill Holden
I rest my case...curious to see if this is going to change with the way that some are playing. Who knows, Solomon Young could be a sexy pick in a couple weeks with how physical he has been.

WesRuby

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2014
I am very interested in seeing who everyone has for their starting five. I keep hearing 'four guard lineup' and I'm curious as to where Burton will end up in the rotation. Much more depth this year that creates some interesting match ups. Thoughts?

Monte Morris
Matt Thomas
Naz Long
Deonte Burton
Merrill Holden
Alright, I guess it's kind of "that time of the year again." This year I think is a little bit More tricky than last year.

Jackson
Wigginton
Babe
Beverly/Brase
Solomon Young

I'd like to see where everyone else stands.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Alright, I guess it's kind of "that time of the year again." This year I think is a little bit More tricky than last year.

Jackson
Wigginton
Babe
Beverly/Brase
Solomon Young

I'd like to see where everyone else stands.

Ah yes! My favorite. I haven't seen 1000 of these on other threads throughout CF.

Please everyone post your line ups!!

• Funny
  • Friendly
Reactions: Cyke and Sigmapolis

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron