RECRUITING: Iowa State a transfer possibility for Waukee native Michael Jacobson?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Don't forget that the sit out year won't be wasted. Having one or two quality bigs who bang with the first team every practice will be a good thing. There is a reason the women's team has decent sized men to practice against. You often just can't simulate the size you will face in Big 12 play and having guys with size who can absolutely give their all in practice making your starters better is a great thing to have.

I just don't understand how anyone thinks that a scholarship on a guy who has to sit out a year is a wasted scholarship when the coach rarely plays more than 7 or 8 deep in any minutes that matter.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Don't forget that the sit out year won't be wasted. Having one or two quality bigs who bang with the first team every practice will be a good thing. There is a reason the women's team has decent sized men to practice against. You often just can't simulate the size you will face in Big 12 play and having guys with size who can absolutely give their all in practice making your starters better is a great thing to have.

I just don't understand how anyone thinks that a scholarship on a guy who has to sit out a year is a wasted scholarship when the coach rarely plays more than 7 or 8 deep in any minutes that matter.

Is there an ad to apply for this? Wanted: Decent sized men to bang with women's team in practice.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Matt Shoultz, Iowa State's Associate Dir. of Athletics Communications for men's basketball, just followed Jacobson on twitter. For reference, he followed Brase and Beverly right around the time they announced.
Shoultz must be psychic, unlike his great uncle:

1105be80db3db8a8a2488207c92683e8_sgt-schultz-i-know-nothing-sgt-schultz-i-know-nothing-meme_500-491.jpeg

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Agree. Booker did have some good contributions some games and was behind a more experienced group of starters, I think. Thus, Jacobson could 'at least' provide that.

Yeah, I think, ideally, our bigs are good enough that Jacobsen would give us Booker minutes. That would be a fine use of a scholarship.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Is there an ad to apply for this? Wanted: Decent sized men to bang with women's team in practice.

I thought about trying out to do this at ISU but it was just too much of a time commitment, even with Mary Fox on the team.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Matt Shoultz, Iowa State's Associate Dir. of Athletics Communications for men's basketball, just followed Jacobson on twitter. For reference, he followed Brase, Beverly, and Shayok right around the time they announced.

@goclones69 any news ?

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
Matt Shoultz, Iowa State's Associate Dir. of Athletics Communications for men's basketball, just followed Jacobson on twitter. For reference, he followed Brase, Beverly, and Shayok right around the time they announced.

Ive always wondered how people know when people know the coaches start following players? Do you have updates set?

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Well, I haven't seen this Jacobson kid but if he really is a 6'10"-ish guy with a good physique, can play some D, has a high motor, will rebound and has a jumper, I'd sign up for a sit-one-play-two with those characteristics. That assumes he can do those things in the Big 12 which a number on these boards have argued that he can because he has done so in a P5 league. On top of that, the kid's from Central Iowa? We could do worse (ok, as has been noted, we HAVE done worse).

Again, there are a lot of IF's, not the least of which is whether he would want to attend ISU. But the loss of Kosongo (he often seems to think the grass is greener somewhere else, it appears) makes this an easier analysis, it seems to me.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Well, I haven't seen this Jacobson kid but if he really is a 6'10"-ish guy with a good physique, can play some D, has a high motor, will rebound and has a jumper, I'd sign up for a sit-one-play-two with those characteristics. That assumes he can do those things in the Big 12 which a number on these boards have argued that he can because he has done so in a P5 league. On top of that, the kid's from Central Iowa? We could do worse (ok, as has been noted, we HAVE done worse).

Again, there are a lot of IF's, not the least of which is whether he would want to attend ISU. But the loss of Kosongo (he often seems to think the grass is greener somewhere else, it appears) makes this an easier analysis, it seems to me.

I think we were mentioned as a favored destination immediately after he announced his intent to transfer.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Another consideration is how Michael would fit in Prohm's system. Over his past three years in Ames Prohm has looked for athletic rim runner/springy style posts (Lard, Carter, Young, Kosongo, Holden, Brase missed targets Feazel, Morrow and Justion)

From the little tape I have seen of Jacobson he looked like more of a traditional big body type rather than overly athletic runner (like Ernst who didn't fit Prohm's system and transferred out). I may be not seeing his game correctly and others that have seen him play can give a better scouting report on the fit at ISU style of post play.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Another consideration is how Michael would fit in Prohm's system. Over his past three years in Ames Prohm has looked for athletic rim runner/springy style posts (Lard, Carter, Young, Kosongo, Holden, Brase missed targets Feazel, Morrow and Justion)

From the little tape I have seen of Jacobson he looked like more of a traditional big body type rather than overly athletic runner (like Ernst who didn't fit Prohm's system and transferred out). I may be not seeing his game correctly and others that have seen him play can give a better scouting report on the fit at ISU style of post play.

Those are certainly valid considerations; you don't want the wrong type of part in your engine. So do we consider Young more like McKay or more of a traditional big? Thinking back on the season, he certainly had some transition buckets (the lob he "stole" from NWB stands out) but I don't think of him as quite the runner that JM was (On the other hand, who was?). Lard seems very lean and mobile from what I can tell. Maybe I'm misperceiving Young just because he's so ripped.

Well, I'll let ISU's capable staff (and CF posters) mull that all over but it feels like he's worth a look if he'll consider ISU. Admittedly, I always kind of pull for kids who play HS BB in Iowa.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015

If ISU gives Jacobsen a scholly that kid is NOT going to be sitting on the bench. Good for 10 to 20 from the film I've watched. If we don't get him nobody can complain about not getting that 6'10" from Iowa ever again.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

Are Beverly and Brase rim runner/springy style posts? No. Neither was Carter. Holden wasn't a rim runner and Ernst didn't transfer because he was a traditional big body type that didn't fit Prohm's system.

Prohm hasn't really shown he has a type, other than he's trying to get the best size he can get, which at this point is Jacobson.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron