***Official NBA Playoffs Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If boston gets a top 3 pick do they trade the pick?

I guess they could, but I doubt it. They won't deal for Paul George unless they can get a long term deal worked out first. Otherwise he could opt out after next season to go to his preferred destination in LA, and they'd have nothing to show for it. And I like Jimmy Butler, but I'm not sure I'd give up a top three pick in this year's draft for him.

Put it this way - are you sure Paul George or Jimmy Butler plus the current Celts lineup would be enough to get over the hump against Lebron and the Cavs?

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
I guess they could, but I doubt it. They won't deal for Paul George unless they can get a long term deal worked out first. Otherwise he could opt out after next season to go to his preferred destination in LA, and they'd have nothing to show for it. And I like Jimmy Butler, but I'm not sure I'd give up a top three pick in this year's draft for him.

Put it this way - are you sure Paul George or Jimmy Butler plus the current Celts lineup would be enough to get over the hump against Lebron and the Cavs?
Yes believe it not at some point Lebron won't be the same athletic freak anymore. In 2-4 years the Cavs won't be as dominate IMO. I saw in a video that top talents aren't going to work out with the celtics. The Celtics don't need a rookie they need another all-star

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
No way do I give up a Top 3 pick in this draft for Jimmy Butler or Paul George.

I would definitely trade for one of them for a top 3 pick. The Celtics are really good now and adding a proven all star just makes them even better. Who knows which picks will actually turn out to be stars and how long it will take them.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
I would definitely trade for one of them for a top 3 pick. The Celtics are really good now and adding a proven all star just makes them even better. Who knows which picks will actually turn out to be stars and how long it will take them.

I dont think adding Butler or George to this Boston roster gets them over the hump in the East the next couple of years.

Drafting Fultz or Jackson and adding them with Thomas (28 years old), Bradley (26), Horford (30) along with Jaylen Brown, Smart, Olynyk and a likely top 3 pick again next year sets them up to be heavy eastern conference favorites in 3-4 years when Lebron reaches his mid to late 30's.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I dont think adding Butler or George to this Boston roster gets them over the hump in the East the next couple of years.

Drafting Fultz or Jackson and adding them with Thomas (28 years old), Bradley (26), Horford (30) along with Jaylen Brown, Smart, Olynyk and a likely top 3 pick again next year sets them up to be heavy eastern conference favorites in 3-4 years when Lebron reaches his mid to late 30's.

I'll be interested to see what they do with Isaiah Thomas, who will be an unrestricted free agent after next season. Do they give a max deal to him or sell high? For as amazing as he is offensively, he's a sieve defensively and I don't think his game is going to age well.

Avery Bradley will be a free agent after 2018 as well, and while he's not going to get a max deal he's certainly going to get a nice raise somewhere. So there's some stuff up in the air for the Celtics right now, and Ainge is going to have to decide soon whether he's going for the championship now or building for the long term. Windows to contend for a championship don't stay open very long. If he thinks they're one player away then he ought to make a deal for PG or Butler. But I don't think they're one player away, and I don't think he does either.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Yes believe it not at some point Lebron won't be the same athletic freak anymore. In 2-4 years the Cavs won't be as dominate IMO. I saw in a video that top talents aren't going to work out with the celtics. The Celtics don't need a rookie they need another all-star

If you're waiting 2-4 years for the Cavs to peak then what's the point of dealing for Paul George or Jimmy Butler now? In 2-4 years they'll both be staring down 30 with Giannis and the Bucks set to own the East, and just like that they missed their window.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I got the Warriors in five and the Cavs in four. I think the Wizards would have provided a tougher challenge to Cleveland in the ECF. The Cavs are a bad matchup for Boston. They can throw multiple defenders at Isaiah Thomas, hide Kyrie somewhere else defensively, and beat Boston to death on the boards. Oh, and that Lebron guy is pretty good too.

I don't think so. Wash starting 5 is decent but they have no bench. Boston can go 8-10 deep at times and have bigs who can shoot from outside which the Cleve bigs will have to respect on defense. Think Boston can get 2 games but fall in 6 games. Wash would have only lasted 5 games at best.

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
No way do I give up a Top 3 pick in this draft for Jimmy Butler or Paul George.
I don't buy that, Boston needs to win now. Jimmy Butler is one guy who is not scared of the great LeBron James. There is no guarantee with the pick. You know Jimmy Buckets will be a big factor for at least the next 3 years. I hope Boston doesn't trade the pick for him, but it would be best for their organization if they did.

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
I don't think so. Wash starting 5 is decent but they have no bench. Boston can go 8-10 deep at times and have bigs who can shoot from outside which the Cleve bigs will have to respect on defense. Think Boston can get 2 games but fall in 6 games. Wash would have only lasted 5 games at best.
Ask the Thibs lead Bulls how did going 8-10 deep work for them. This is a star league. Jimmy Buckets may not be a top 10 guy, but he's close enough to trade that pick for it. Butler and Thomas together to go along with the rest of that core makes them title contenders on the spot.

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
Only Spurs apologist I feel bad for is Skip, not some of these keyboard warriors (no pun intended) on here. It doesn't matter, The Chosen One will take down whoever comes out of this series.