OT: Get off my Lawn!

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Working with as many Indians as I do I would say they don't have the same understanding of boundaries as we do. If you explain to them that it is considered rude to just walk around on their neighbor's property that could be the end of it.

you know what's weird... my toddler runs around into other backyards and we chase him down frequently. i don't walk on other people lawns with regularity but occasionally if i'm trying to get a better look at something i'll go across their lawn. when someone is out mowing we all walk over to say hello, etc. i wonder if some of the difference is there isn't a "shared history" with the new neighbors so there is no trust built up.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Serious questions, I understand why the wandering through your yard is annoying but why do the following bother you?

1) how many people are living there and the fact that only 1 has a job
2) whether or not their lawn is mowed

I ask these questions because our neighbors have two families living on their property. One family lives in the main house and the other family converted an unattached garage to live in. And also they haven't mowed their lawn yet this year because their law mower broke last fall. I can take pictures to prove this if you want me to.

My point is how many people live there and how high there grass is has no effect on me what so ever.
1) There seems to be something more to this one...maybe under the surface for the OP - based on the observation that "they all look alike".

2) I can understand the lawn part to a certain extent; if I have a pristine lawn that I spend a lot of time and money caring for, having a neighbor that lets their lawn get overtaken by dandelions and other quick spreading weeds might be annoying. Might create a problem if the my house was on the market, too. But lawn height...not so much.

The wandering around my lawn would be an issue, but that should be something that you go over and say "hey spaghetti arms - this is my dance space and this is your dance space" or words to that effect.

Getting away from neighbors who were noisy, dictated our lawn care, and were generally obnoxious was a big part of OUR reason for moving out of city limits.

Bottom line though, if you can't resolve it, build a fence. Or move.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
Need some advice,

In February the house next door sold, and the guy who bought it is renting it out. There is currently 9 people living there all between the ages of 30-40, all Indian nationality (not that it matters), and only 1 has a job. Keep in mind, its a 4 bedroom house.

Lately, my neighbor on the other side of me and I have noticed that they will be out wandering, talking on their phone, and walking through both of our backyards. When we catch them we will signal them to get off our property but I don't think they get the hint.

What should I do? I don't think talking to the landlord will help, as we are currently fighting with the city because they wont mow their lawn and they keep making up excuses on why they cant get their mower over there.
Whenever I'm in this position where a neighbor or just some stranger are acting up, I just tell them some things about me. The things I'll bring up may intimidate them a bit and thoughts may occur in their heads that I don't want to mess with this guy. If I was in your shoes, I would mention I have done many years of kickboxing and for a shorter amount of time I was a Gold Gloves Boxer. I would be sarcastic about what they're doing wrong once, then after that I would put my foot down much harder the 2nd time. Saying something like this will put some fear into your obnoxious neighbors. Good luck with your situation, hopefully this post was helpful.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Serious questions, I understand why the wandering through your yard is annoying but why do the following bother you?

1) how many people are living there and the fact that only 1 has a job
2) whether or not their lawn is mowed
glad you said serious question or else I would assume youre joking. If the neighbors lawn doesnt get mowed it looks like **** and effects everyones property values. It spreads weeds to others lawns who take pride in what they have. Long grass promotes snakes and rodents. Its embarrassing to the whole neighborhood You surely arent this dense to not understand why someones yard looking like trash effects their neighbors.

How many people living in a house is obviously an issue as it tends to be governed by law in most cities. 1 major issue is safety for the residence of the house. Another is because most people dont want to live next to a house with 9 adults living in it. There will more than likely be parking issues as well You hear of 9 adults living in a house next to a house that you are looking at purchasing. Are you going to buy the house? obviously not.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
So I wouldn't have to deal with judgmental neighbors. Mainly ones who would complain about my racing equipment being at my house.
nothing worse than living next to someone with a damn race car. First you have to listen to them talk about their race car. 2nd you have to listen to the race car. You honestly sound like a horrible neighbor. But Im sure you are nice in person.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Start breeding pit bulls. If that's a little too "unpredictable" for you, then go with rottweilers or dobermans.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
glad you said serious question or else I would assume youre joking. If the neighbors lawn doesnt get mowed it looks like **** and effects everyones property values. It spreads weeds to others lawns who take pride in what they have. Long grass promotes snakes and rodents. Its embarrassing to the whole neighborhood You surely arent this dense to not understand why someones yard looking like trash effects their neighbors.

How many people living in a house is obviously an issue as it tends to be governed by law in most cities. 1 major issue is safety for the residence of the house. Another is because most people dont want to live next to a house with 9 adults living in it. There will more than likely be parking issues as well You hear of 9 adults living in a house next to a house that you are looking at purchasing. Are you going to buy the house? obviously not.

Might be the first time I've ever agreed with you but spot on good sir.

My parents lived next to a guy that wouldn't cut his grass as he said it was his "sanctuary". I don't want rodents/snakes/bunnies setting up camp in the neighbors yard. Let alone it just looks trashy.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Might be the first time I've ever agreed with you but spot on good sir.

My parents lived next to a guy that wouldn't cut his grass as he said it was his "sanctuary". I don't want rodents/snakes/bunnies setting up camp in the neighbors yard. Let alone it just looks trashy.

thats the problem especially in small town america. We live in a neigborhood with several 100+ year old houses that have been fixed up and are beautiful. The other houses are beaverdale type houses and all look great. Then there is a dilapidated ******** across the street that has been made into apartments but they pretty much all live together in like bedrooms and the common areas are shared. Needless to say not the people you want to live next to. Just in the last week the surrounding neighbors have made calls to get the 2 couches off the front lawn (whats with trashy people hanging in front lawns?) The city to mow the yard after multiple weeks of non compliance. The city hired someone with a push mower ($75) to mow and the people never moved off the dining table and chairs they have sitting outside. The guy had to mow around them like he was vacuuming. The landlord said he provides them with a free push mower to use but they are just to lazy. Also, none of them have jobs.

Luckily the city announced they are going to start enforcing clean up laws and charging the homeowners (including rental property) for the bill. That was 3 weeks ago and the town has already improved substantially. .

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm glad we moved out of our old neighborhood when we did a few years back because since then it turned into a lot of rentals and is in the part of Beaverdale that is now seeing more crime nearby too. Living next to a rental is the worst because your neighbor could be constantly changing and the description the OP gave I think I would be thinking about putting up a privacy fence if talking to the landlord, tenants, and getting the city officials involved does not produce positive results. A privacy fence would also be a proactive way to deal with any future problem tenants too. My guess is if there are twice as many people living in the home than there are bedrooms the landlord is taking the first buck he can get for it and may not be the type that will be easy to work with.

Stories like this makes me glad I live in the neighborhood that we do where we are surrounded by good neighbors.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Need some advice,

In February the house next door sold, and the guy who bought it is renting it out. There is currently 9 people living there all between the ages of 30-40, all Indian nationality (not that it matters), and only 1 has a job. Keep in mind, its a 4 bedroom house.

Lately, my neighbor on the other side of me and I have noticed that they will be out wandering, talking on their phone, and walking through both of our backyards. When we catch them we will signal them to get off our property but I don't think they get the hint.

What should I do? I don't think talking to the landlord will help, as we are currently fighting with the city because they wont mow their lawn and they keep making up excuses on why they cant get their mower over there.

Put up a double hot wire around your yard that should slow them up, if that doesn't work break out the pellet gun ;). Rabbits trespassers they're all the same;).

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Thanks for the clarification. Having them crowd your property is a little strange. It's a little hard to be neighborly while telling someone that doesn't speak English to get off your property.

If you go home tonight and there's an Indian flag in your back yard, you may have been annexed. I'd rent Red Dawn for pointers on how to proceed,

Wolverines!

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
My daughter likes to go outside and talk on her phone. I struggle to understand why. She talks louder on the phone outside than she does inside too, so it's not for privacy. She's not only disturbing the neighbors, she's a distraction inside our house. (Where is that talking coming from?) I told her it was an annoyance not only to me, but I would guess to our neighbors when she's out wandering around talking on her phone. She never listened. To make it worse, she liked to especially do it late at night, like 11 p.m. or midnight on the weekends when she didn't have school the next day.

She moved into her own apartment recently and was outside talking on her phone when a
very grumpy, elderly next door neighbor lady stuck her head out the door and yelled at her to go somewhere else to talk on the phone. She called me and told me about it and I had to say, I told you so. I told her to make the neighbor a batch of cookies and apologize to her. Of course she didn't. She never listens to her father.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Whenever I'm in this position where a neighbor or just some stranger are acting up, I just tell them some things about me. The things I'll bring up may intimidate them a bit and thoughts may occur in their heads that I don't want to mess with this guy. If I was in your shoes, I would mention I have done many years of kickboxing and for a shorter amount of time I was a Gold Gloves Boxer. I would be sarcastic about what they're doing wrong once, then after that I would put my foot down much harder the 2nd time. Saying something like this will put some fear into your obnoxious neighbors. Good luck with your situation, hopefully this post was helpful.

Couldn't you just move your trailer if you had a neighbor issue? I'm sure McDonald's would give you some time off.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

69718596602d11906ebc9004d38b4d6cdea2f1eec494dda537d49f3aac4e52c6.jpg