U of I loses $1.4 million in lawsuit

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
He was definitely an unknown at that point and I don't think any Iowa fans would have been saying he was a great hire at that point in his career.

If CMC won less than 10% of his games I wouldn't have said he was a great hire. The nice thing is there are storms brewing in Ames now and he's raising the standard.

• Funny
Reactions: Hawkmi1987

Hawkmi1987

Jun 27, 2016
Newton, Ia
If CMC won less than 10% of his games I wouldn't have said he was a great hire. The nice thing is there are storms brewing in Ames now and he's raising the standard.
giphy.gif

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Kirk won 9% of his games his first year. Clearly he was a terrible hire

Clearly he was not. You have no way to evaluate how good the CMC hire was at this point. To call it a great or good hire is homerism at its finest right now. It is an unknown.

• Dislike
Reactions: Rural

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Again, why is CMC a good hire?

On paper right now it looks like a good hire. It could end up being a fail, nobody knows the future but I think most Hawkeye fans would even expect Campbell to get to a bowl game in the next two years.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
On paper right now it looks like a good hire. It could end up being a fail, nobody knows the future but I think most Hawkeye fans would even expect Campbell to get to a bowl game in the next two years.

On paper? How so?

JP loves fanboys like you. Come up with some clever slogans, catchy hash tags, change the uniforms every couple of years and put up some points and they are excited and always optimistic no matter how many 2-4 win seasons the coach produces. Hes got this fan base whipped.

• Dislike
  • Agree
Reactions: Rural and iahawks

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
On paper? How so?

JP loves fanboys like you. Come up with some clever slogans, catchy hash tags, change the uniforms every couple of years and put up some points and they are excited and always optimistic no matter how many 2-4 win seasons the coach produces. Hes got this fan base whipped.

He is recruiting better than any coach has at ISU in recent memory on paper, he is saying all the right things, the team improved drastically as the season improved, etc.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
If ISU makes a bowl game in 2018 I think it's safe to say Campbell was a good hire. Agree?

I would say if he goes undefeated in Big 12 play in year 4 and makes a BCS Bowl game, he is without question a good hire.

Agree?

• Dislike

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
@HawkeyeMashup said Campbell would make a bowl game this year, if that's the case obviously you guys think he was a good hire

ISU will make a Bowl game this year. Rhoads made 3 Bowl games in 4 years. He was still an awful coach. It is funny that Pollard gave him a 10 year contract tho for winning 6 games a year. That reminds me, I love Pollard. I hope he gives CMC a 10 year contract when he wins 6 games this year.

• Dislike

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
ISU will make a Bowl game this year. Rhoads made 3 Bowl games in 4 years. He was still an awful coach. It is funny that Pollard gave him a 10 year contract tho for winning 6 games a year. That reminds me, I love Pollard. I hope he gives CMC a 10 year contract when he wins 6 games this year.

Ultimately you have to look at that contract differently. He gave him that extension after he'd had what was probably the most publicized and nation-affecting win in ISU history. Other programs were going to come calling. Unfortunately he wasnt able to capitalize on that on the recruiting side, which he deserves blame for (though also to temper that, one must note that that was affected by the realignment talk, which was at its peak right at the time Paul shouldve been capitalizing on early success)

Also, if not for the long-term extension, its likely we wouldve had to pay him more annually. Over the term of the contract while he was here, we probably didnt pay that much more than if we'd paid a full market rate.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Doesn’t make sense trying to compare JP and GB based on hires. Iowa’s are destination athletic programs. Our coaches don’t want to leave. GB has only hired two head coaches in sports anyone cares about. JP has to deal with replacing head coaches who leave for better gigs practically every other year. He’s had hits and misses but it’s apples and oranges.