REPORT: Bryce Dejean-Jones has died

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Indeed. Really good article.

Don't think they have all the details correct about the BDJ experience in Ames.

One other unexplored nuance is that his girlfriend probably heard the whole thing if she was in the apartment above where the incident took place.

This quote from Matt A was interesting to me
IMG_0375.jpg

What did the ISU program do to wrong him? I felt that Fred and the coaches handled that whole noise complaint / marijuana charge thing as best they could.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What did the ISU program do to wrong him? I felt that Fred and the coaches handled that whole noise complaint / marijuana charge thing as best they could.

Agreed. Matt didn't make reference to the many other times that police had been called to the apartment.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Exactly what I always thought of him. He is really a good kid but has issues. If he would have gotten some counseling on how to channel his emotions he would have been a lot better off. When he was at ISU, that team was at its best when he was playing well. Always pictured him and McKay not getting along bc of McKay's practice habits.

Reactions: Angie

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Also, I thought BDJ did a pretty good job of coming back from that incident and making himself a valuable part of the team. He certainly did much better than most on this site thought he would. I would hardly call his time after that incident a spiraling downward. And his teammates still seem to think very positively of him, despite what many of us who don't really know much think.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
This quote from Matt A was interesting to me
View attachment 47847

I think he means, after that they kind of wrote him off and didn't try to get him back in the fold. Think looking back, Hoiberg probably would have handled things differently as well. But I think Hoiberg was trying to avoid as much stress as possible that year because of his heart issues and trying to determine what his future would be.

• Disagree
Reactions: akellar

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think he means, after that they kind of wrote him off and didn't try to get him back in the fold. Think looking back, Hoiberg probably would have handled things differently as well. But I think Hoiberg was trying to avoid as much stress as possible that year because of his heart issues and trying to determine what his future would be.

But, Hoiberg did bring him back into the fold. BDJ was an integral part of our Big 12 conference season and tournament.

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Ehhh...he played a big role in the big 12 tournament that year. He was involved plenty when he played well.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Seems that the family villianizes the teacher rather than acknowledging that Bryce's actions warranted the reaction. Your son wasn't shot like a "dead dog". Two shots. If someone breaks down my deadbolt and comes at my door I don't think twice about putting down the threat.

Second thought, I'm really getting tired of hearing about Matt A and "his experiences" here. Move on you snake. Bryce was given multiple opportunities with the police before this occurred.

Seemed like a good kid that could have used a bit of help managing his anger. It is a sad deal.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
1. People like Eric heft have said Bryce was as nice of a guy as you could want to meet. For all of his problems, it is important to remember that.

2. He obviously had mental problems and/or drug and alcohol problems. If you know someone like that, help them get the help they need.

3. One of the many reasons why I will never own a gun is that I couldn't live with myself if I hurt or killed someone. I hope that teacher also gets help.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Agree. this is Matt looking out for Matt. Doesn't want to admit a player he recruited caused some problems during his time in ames.

I don't even know about that. He obviously knew and cared about Bryce. I just don't why he thinks Iowa state failed him. He obviously managed to get to the NBA, so Iowa state did their job.

But Matt is very vindictive when it comes to Iowa state. He was obviously one of the main sources in the pollard article last year.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I think the quote by Matt says more about the kid complaining and how it was really a load of crap. I took it to mean that they didn't want to deal with it and punished Bryce even though he didn't really do much. Knowing Bryces issues that was harmful to their relationship.

I really don't think some of you realize how much a pain some people can be about living conditions. I had a roommate that complained about me but if you knew me you'd probably guess I would complain about others.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
....I wonder if the 'spiraling' part was more about the team. They still had a nice overall season and pulled out the Big 12 tourney but never really quite looked like a team consistently playing for each other.

Purely speculation but I wonder if we'll ever see something like Paul Shirley's narrative about the 2001 team's issues (hopefully without the spiteful slant).

I'd like to know more about the season in general, and specifics about the UAB game...IIRC Matt Thomas stuck out as someone who looked like they understood it was single elimination but didn't play the 2nd half.