OT: Get off my Lawn!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Need some advice,

In February the house next door sold, and the guy who bought it is renting it out. There is currently 9 people living there all between the ages of 30-40, all Indian nationality (not that it matters), and only 1 has a job. Keep in mind, its a 4 bedroom house.

Lately, my neighbor on the other side of me and I have noticed that they will be out wandering, talking on their phone, and walking through both of our backyards. When we catch them we will signal them to get off our property but I don't think they get the hint.

What should I do? I don't think talking to the landlord will help, as we are currently fighting with the city because they wont mow their lawn and they keep making up excuses on why they cant get their mower over there.

Put a fence up. Sounds like you are particular about your lawn but the aren't. Privacy fence will help hold back the weeds and unwelcome wanderers.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Need some advice,

In February the house next door sold, and the guy who bought it is renting it out. There is currently 9 people living there all between the ages of 30-40, all Indian nationality (not that it matters), and only 1 has a job. Keep in mind, its a 4 bedroom house.

Lately, my neighbor on the other side of me and I have noticed that they will be out wandering, talking on their phone, and walking through both of our backyards. When we catch them we will signal them to get off our property but I don't think they get the hint.

What should I do? I don't think talking to the landlord will help, as we are currently fighting with the city because they wont mow their lawn and they keep making up excuses on why they cant get their mower over there.

Dot, or feather?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Serious questions, I understand why the wandering through your yard is annoying but why do the following bother you?

1) how many people are living there and the fact that only 1 has a job
2) whether or not their lawn is mowed

I ask these questions because our neighbors have two families living on their property. One family lives in the main house and the other family converted an unattached garage to live in. And also they haven't mowed their lawn yet this year because their law mower broke last fall. I can take pictures to prove this if you want me to.

My point is how many people live there and how high there grass is has no effect on me what so ever.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Serious questions, I understand why the wandering through your yard is annoying but why do the following bother you?

I ask these questions because our neighbors have two families living on their property. One family lives in the main house and the other family converted an unattached garage to live in. And also they haven't mowed their lawn yet this year because their law mower broke last fall. I can take pictures to prove this if you want me to.

My point is how many people live there and how high there grass is has no effect on me what so ever.
We'll definitely need a picture, but to prove it's not just a stock photo you need to include a handwritten sign that indicates 3TrueFans is awesome in the frame.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
One other thing to keep in mind about India is that most Indians still live in villages with small shacks that are lined up next to each other and along walkways. So, walking by someone's home may be a very common experience for them.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
One other thing to keep in mind about India is that most Indians still live in villages with small shacks that are lined up next to each other and along walkways. So, walking by someone's home may be a very common experience for them.

It very well could be a culture issue. When I go to certain markets the folks have no issue with standing in my space, bumping my cart, or nudging me away from items we are both reaching for

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
This sounds awkward as ****.

Well, you already have awkward, namely neighbors who aren't respecting your privacy. So, you can get antagonistic and maybe help the situation, but more likely make it worse in ways that you haven't even thought of. Or you can do something to try to become "neighborly." I find that serving someone food that they like is often a good way to start a neighbor relation well.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA

I'm not the OP, but people griping about un-mowed lawns is not uncommon. Cities have lawn mowing ordinances for a reason. Maybe the point about the number of people living there vs. the number who are currently employed was meant to illustrate there's plenty of people available with ample opportunity to get it done.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

Says the guy who moved so he wouldn't have to deal with neighbors.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
To the OP: it's interesting to learn more facts. This does sound unusual and it sounds like you've used a neighborly approach already. I'd stick to it, but maybe write them a brief, clear (read it to yourself and revise it if necessary and try to read it from their perspective) letter explaining your concern and making your request if the neighborly conversation does not work again. They can at least then slowly process the letter and translate it carefully.

Otherwise, if they still continue to trespass, as another poster said, get your neighbors involved and ask the police to come out and explain the situation to your renter-neighbors. My guess is you won't have as good of relations with your neighbors after this, but you may beyond this point anyway since your neighbors seem come onto your property and walk around. Ask the officer to talk with them about the situation and that you don't want the officer to issue a trespassing citation now, but that it needs to stop. I'd go to the police before I go to the landlord, but I suppose that depends on your relationship with the landlord.

Carsalesrgood

Feb 4, 2011
To the OP: it's interesting to learn more facts. This does sound unusual and it sounds like you've used a neighborly approach already. I'd stick to it, but maybe write them a brief, clear (read it to yourself and revise it if necessary and try to read it from their perspective) letter explaining your concern and making your request if the neighborly conversation does not work again. They can at least then slowly process the letter and translate it carefully.

Otherwise, if they still continue to trespass, as another poster said, get your neighbors involved and ask the police to come out and explain the situation to your renter-neighbors. My guess is you won't have as good of relations with your neighbors after this, but you may beyond this point anyway since your neighbors seem come onto your property and walk around. Ask the officer to talk with them about the situation and that you don't want the officer to issue a trespassing citation now, but that it needs to stop. I'd go to the police before I go to the landlord, but I suppose that depends on your relationship with the landlord.

Thank You

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Working with as many Indians as I do I would say they don't have the same understanding of boundaries as we do. If you explain to them that it is considered rude to just walk around on their neighbor's property that could be the end of it.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'd look into moving. I hate dealing with that stuff and even if you do have confrontation, it's just going to be awkward later.

IF the landlord is the same landlord of the neighbors, you have might be able to take that route to improve things.

Bottom line for me is that if I can't be comfortable in my own home I want out.

• Winner
Reactions: ajk4st8

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron