RECRUITING: Iowa State a transfer possibility for Waukee native Michael Jacobson?

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Jacobson would absolutely have a place on this team. The best part, I think, about him is that he's completely transformed his body in two years of college ball. I think by coming here and getting a third year of college practices, workouts, etc, that he could become an even more effective player. Anyone that shows the type of dedication to completely transform their body like he has obviously has drive and passion. Sign me up for that.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Jacobson would absolutely have a place on this team. The best part, I think, about him is that he's completely transformed his body in two years of college ball. I think by coming here and getting a third year of college practices, workouts, etc, that he could become an even more effective player. Anyone that shows the type of dedication to completely transform their body like he has obviously has drive and passion. Sign me up for that.

I agree that he could play a role next year and be a solid addition for the next couple of years but I don't think many think that he'd be a starter over the next 3 years. The question is do you use a red shirt sit out year on a player likely not to be a starter and tying up a scholarship on that type of player for that time?

While I think the staff does see him having ability to contribute he still hasn't been extended a scholarship offer leading me to think they have some reservations about that.

Also we all like the potential of Brase and Lard next year but neither are proven Kosongo may not have contributed but was at least a 6'9" option Prohm had going into the year, I wouldn't be surprised if they would look at post grad transfers first to help next years team before officially Jacobson if they don't see an upgrade.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
I agree that he could play a role next year and be a solid addition for the next couple of years but I don't think many think that he'd be a starter over the next 3 years. The question is do you use a red shirt sit out year on a player likely not to be a starter and tying up a scholarship on that type of player for that time?

While I think the staff does see him having ability to contribute he still hasn't been extended a scholarship offer leading me to think they have some reservations about that.

Also we all like the potential of Brase and Lard next year but neither are proven Kosongo may not have contributed but was at least a 6'9" option Prohm had going into the year, I wouldn't be surprised if they would look at post grad transfers first to help next years team before officially Jacobson if they don't see an upgrade.

I feel like we already exhausted all our options in this area. We have four posts going into next year. I think we're sitting pretty solid.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi and MartinCy

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO

I believe Michael Jacobson would be a sit 1, play 2 guy. They certainly would use a scholarship on a player of Jacobson's caliber... They used a scholarship on Kasongo last year who averaged 1 and 1 at Tennessee. Jacobson has shown as a young player he can produce at the Power 5 level and will provide a nice lift off the bench in the coming years. From the limited sample I saw of his game he's an active, high motor rebounder and has a decent mid range jump shot in the post. He's not going to wow you with his offensive skills but he's certainly capable of providing some scoring output.

Last edited:

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

Well, we used a red shirt sit out year on a player that never will play here, so using one on a non-starter is a step up at least.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I don't understand any concern about using a scholarship on a guy that won't or might not start. Not every contributor starts. What's the big deal?

Agree. Here's some big men the last few years that ISU signed that I'm confident Michael Jacobson is better than:

Ray Kasongo.
Merril Holden.
SImeon Carter.
Brady Ernst.
Daniel Edozie.
Georgios Tsalmpouris.
Percy Gibson.
Anthony Booker.

Cyke

Jun 22, 2011
Des Moines, IA
2dqr9zq.jpg

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Agree. Here's some big men the last few years that ISU signed that I'm confident Michael Jacobson is better than:

Ray Kasongo.
Merril Holden.
SImeon Carter.
Brady Ernst.
Daniel Edozie.
Georgios Tsalmpouris.
Percy Gibson.
Anthony Booker.

Agree. Booker did have some good contributions some games and was behind a more experienced group of starters, I think. Thus, Jacobson could 'at least' provide that.

• Agree
Reactions: ComCY

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Having a high-floor, low-ceiling post (with size) for depth is not the worst thing in the world. I would say the roster sorely missed such a player the past two years.

Jacobson would have been in the rotation for 5-15 minutes per night two years ago to give Niang and McKay a small spell and would have been nice to have to either start or, even if you still go with Burton, have a bench post who can effectively fill minutes when McKay "went down." I cannot see how he would be an inferior option to Simeon Carter's non-productivity. I also cannot see minutes used on him as somehow less useful than Ashton or Cooke were.

I imagine he would have started last year or, at least, pushed Solomon for minutes. He might have made Holden unnecessary -- maybe starting (and more effective than Holden) for the early part of the year before giving way to Solomon but remaining in the rotation. He would have been nice to have those few games where Solomon was out with the injury, as well.

Does not have to be great -- just fight hard on the boards and clog the lane. If you are in the right position for some easy buckets and maul somebody on defense, even better.

Again, I would take that. That is a safety harness and depth down low that we have lacked and really missed the past few seasons. A hedge against injury is nice, too.

Last edited:

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Is it true that Jacobson was once recruited for Cyclone football? If so sign this kid up. We can always use a guy that can tackle in the post.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I'm excited about getting him because I think he's better than Edozie, Carter, Holden, Percy Gibson, etc. He doesn't have to be Niang, Ejim, or McKay to be a valuable player for us.

Also, in all seriousness, the B10 is a decent conference, and it would be great to have two sit out transfers who have produced in big time ball.
Ssshhhhh! One of the Hok trolls will jump all over you about this and claim you said the B10 is awesome.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Class balance, toughness and rebounding. I don't see the down side. They can still get the immediately eligible wing if one becomes available. That would make for a class of 4 next year.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneBBFan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron