OFF THE RECORD PODCAST: Steve Loney

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
25 minutes in wow, this is podcast Gold!!! Looking forward to a part 2 for sure Loney is so awesome!!!

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I remember Loney getting a lot of heat for not being a big Chizik/Rhoads fan. I don't know how he would have been as a head coach but what he did with our offense was amazing. A true cyclone.

Reactions: DBQR4CY

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I think it is a Chrome problem and someone else noted that if you use the "new incognito window" the podcast plays fine in Chrome.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Can you give me what browser you are using? I think this is a Chrome problem. Never happened to me on Safari. We are trying to figure it out. For now just download the file and you won't have problems
When it happened to me it was always chrome on my phone

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Thanks Chris. That was great. Steve's accomplishments speak for themselves. Great to hear he thinks the program is back on the right track and good to hear someone like him feels welcome in Ames again.

Reactions: cyfan21

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Damn. Sounded like he wanted to sock Chizik and Rhoads in the mouth.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Man i loved that interview and love Steve Loney..I was kinda hopping in a way that CMC would hire him as OL coach and CO-OC with Manning but that prob would not have worked..Had he hired Loney with Manning I can assure you this program would be one of the top OL and rushing programs in the conference in a very short period of time.

Yea Loney certainly wasnt a fan of Chizik and I think he prob just never really communicated much with CPR..It's a little surprising to me that CPR never really made much contact with the Mac staff or had anyone back to honor them and whatnot.

I was really hoping CW would have asked Loney just how close Jackie Sherrie was to wanting to come back to be the HC at ISU after Bruce left. The pivotal turning point in ISU history..Insterad Duncan was hired and i cant go back to rehash what happened next..its too painful.

I do agree with Loney on CMC..Many beat writers outsdie of ISU circle and many in Iowa prob thing CMC is gone the instant he has a winning season and i dont think so either..I think CMC is here to win big 12 titles or wants to. He's a Midwest guy thru and thru and other than Ohio State or Penn state or Michigan gig, i dont see him leaving a successful ISU that he has built for say Purdue or Virginia Tech or whatever..

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Awesome interview, Chris. Loney's time at ISU was before my ISU fandom began, so this was a great introduction. His passion for Iowa State is remarkable.

• Agree
Reactions: Farnsworth

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wonder if Loney dislikes Chizek and CPR because he was wanting the job at that point. Know a very close friend of his. Was one of the first to throw heat on Mac.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Man i loved that interview and love Steve Loney..I was kinda hopping in a way that CMC would hire him as OL coach and CO-OC with Manning but that prob would not have worked..Had he hired Loney with Manning I can assure you this program would be one of the top OL and rushing programs in the conference in a very short period of time.

Yea Loney certainly wasnt a fan of Chizik and I think he prob just never really communicated much with CPR..It's a little surprising to me that CPR never really made much contact with the Mac staff or had anyone back to honor them and whatnot.

I was really hoping CW would have asked Loney just how close Jackie Sherrie was to wanting to come back to be the HC at ISU after Bruce left. The pivotal turning point in ISU history..Insterad Duncan was hired and i cant go back to rehash what happened next..its too painful.

I do agree with Loney on CMC..Many beat writers outsdie of ISU circle and many in Iowa prob thing CMC is gone the instant he has a winning season and i dont think so either..I think CMC is here to win big 12 titles or wants to. He's a Midwest guy thru and thru and other than Ohio State or Penn state or Michigan gig, i dont see him leaving a successful ISU that he has built for say Purdue or Virginia Tech or whatever..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Sherrill

It was my understanding that we turned down John Cooper, too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cooper_(American_football)

My private fantasy is that Campbell stays at ISU a good 8-10 years and has a lot of success but bets on himself and comes to some private "understanding" that he is coach-in-waiting for what probably is his ultimate job -- Ohio State. Urban is 52, so he has a good 15 years left if he wants them, but I can also imagine him not driving his career super late into his life, so maybe the timing works out for that to happen.

Harbaugh probably wants to go back into the NFL at some point. I could see him taking over in say, New England once Belichick decides to call it a day. That would be another good spot for Campbell if he has the success that we hope for.

I realize we are probably going to lose any really good coach at some point. We are probably not going to have a Snyder ever at Iowa State. That is okay, though -- I would take the success they should have to have (unlike Chizik) before being able to jump up into one of the premier Big Ten or SEC jobs or OU or UT-A starts calling.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Great interview. I was a fan of ISU FB at that time, but really didn't know the coordinators and details like that.

Would also like to hear his beef with Rhoads and Chizik. :D