Jakolby Long had offseason shoulder surgery

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I wonder what the recovery time is for something like this.
If it's still sore when the season rolls around, I wonder if a redshirt is out of the question.

My mom had that done a few years back and she was golfing about 6 weeks later. The procedure isn't very invasive, so the recovery should be pretty quick.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
This guy has potential. Was surprised he didn't redshirt last year with all the senior guards ahead of him.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
This guy has potential. Was surprised he didn't redshirt last year with all the senior guards ahead of him.

With shoulder surgery this year, I wonder if it wouldn't be smart to redshirt him.

I realize shoulders heal fairly quickly, but if it's his shooting side, I could see it affecting him into next year.

He could basically waste two years, having played very little.

Reactions: mj4cy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I wonder what the recovery time is for something like this.
If it's still sore when the season rolls around, I wonder if a redshirt is out of the question.

Speculating he will be fine (reading into the "minimal" for rotator cuff damage). Maybe this last season was the one to do the redshirt and have the surgery but no one wants surgery and first step is usually trying to rehab/strengthen without the surgery which I guess they probably did till they found the spurs.

This sounds way less "threatening" than the Tommy John surgery that WBB Emily Durr had this spring. Athletes have bone spurs removed routinely without missing tons of time.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyke

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This news inspired me to look over context in what he was "stuck behind" in Morris, Mitrou-Long, Thomas, and Jackson. I honestly do not know if we have ever had a better front court in Iowa State history. I cannot think of a better once since my initial time at ISU (in 2005)...

upload_2017-5-15_13-4-12.png

Two elite shooters -- maybe the two best in school history, though you could make a case for Sullivan (on the #s) and Christopherson (who has the school %age record).

The conference statistics do not count Jackson for some reason, but team records...

upload_2017-5-15_13-8-52.png

Four guards shooting 40%+ from three in the Big 12. Wow.

upload_2017-5-15_13-4-41.png

At least three elite scorers, especially if you count Deonte as a wing and not a post.

upload_2017-5-15_13-5-12.png

Two of the most efficient scorers in the conference, too, guys who (1.) took a lot of threes, (2.) made a lot of threes, (3.) scored a ton of points, and (4.) were thus very efficient.

He had some elite company to beat out -- with a painful condition, to boot.

I hope he gets right and is 100% ready to go next year. We need all the help we can get.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
I noticed Jakobly was wearing an arm sling in a few Instagram photos/stories about a month ago and figured this was the case. Good to hear the damage was only minor.

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA
Those are some great head coaches who wanted Long last year. After hearing he was fighting through a shoulder issue last year (which is pretty significant in basketball), I'm probably more optimistic about Jakolby than I ever have been. Could be a great surprise.

Frank Martin only recruits guys who are tough and can guard, and have talked to someone who watched him in HS who said he can really score. Excited to see how the minutes get divided.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Those are some great head coaches who wanted Long last year. After hearing he was fighting through a shoulder issue last year (which is pretty significant in basketball), I'm probably more optimistic about Jakolby than I ever have been. Could be a great surprise.

Frank Martin only recruits guys who are tough and can guard, and have talked to someone who watched him in HS who said he can really score. Excited to see how the minutes get divided.

He went toe to toe with Monk in HS the dude can score with the best of them.