KU Police investigating report of teenage girl raped at KU’s McCarthy Hall

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
The Douglas County District Attorney’s Office is now considering charges in the reported rape of a 16-year-old girl at the apartment building that’s home to the University of Kansas men’s basketball team.

KU police completed their investigation into the report and referred it to the district attorney on Tuesday, according to police records.

All five witnesses listed in the rape report are 2016-17 KU men’s basketball team members. The report indicates police contacted three other people in connection with the case: a KU Athletics administrator and two 19-year-old women.

A sixth men’s basketball player is named as a witness in the runaway report, along with the same two 19-year-old women.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2017/may/10/ku-police-forward-mccarthy-hall-rape-case-district/

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
The Douglas County District Attorney’s Office is now considering charges in the reported rape of a 16-year-old girl at the apartment building that’s home to the University of Kansas men’s basketball team.

KU police completed their investigation into the report and referred it to the district attorney on Tuesday, according to police records.

All five witnesses listed in the rape report are 2016-17 KU men’s basketball team members. The report indicates police contacted three other people in connection with the case: a KU Athletics administrator and two 19-year-old women.

A sixth men’s basketball player is named as a witness in the runaway report, along with the same two 19-year-old women.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2017/may/10/ku-police-forward-mccarthy-hall-rape-case-district/

How is this investigation taking so long?

Anyone think the incident involves a current KU basketball player? A player slated to play for the '17-'18 team?

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

Dude, I really enjoy your posts and from what I can tell you aren't as douchey as most K-Staters, but you gotta start using black font. It's painful to read and it's not a thing.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
How is this investigation taking so long?

Anyone think the incident involves a current KU basketball player? A player slated to play for the '17-'18 team?

Gotta free up a scholarship so Self probably signed off on the investigation continuing. But he'll have first veto for any charges filed.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I used italics above because it's a quote from the Lawrence newspaper.
He's referring to your text color, not the italics. What he's saying is the constant purple is hard on the eyes, and I agree with him. So do a lot of other posters. We all get that you are a K-Stater - the purple isn't necessary. At least you aren't using comic sans any more - thank you for that! :)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
"When asked whether a suspect or suspects had been identified, Wright-Kunard said yes but that the district attorney’s office would not disclose any names."

Is it common for the name of a suspect to not be disclosed after so long? Does that imply that the suspect is a minor? Or a high profile person?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
There are many implications in this Ku swirl, but paramount for me is the use of campus police. Campus cops should not be handling felony crimes. Most are not equipped at all like their city counterparts to deal with such grave matters. And campus police will always be open to conflict of interest claims whether worthy or not. That said, the Lawrence PD has had a bad reputation itself for dealing with Ku athletics, trading violations for game tickets, and the like.

• Dislike
Reactions: rholtgraves

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
There are many implications in this Ku swirl, but paramount for me is the use of campus police. Campus cops should not be handling felony crimes. Most are not equipped at all like their city counterparts to deal with such grave matters. And campus police will always be open to conflict of interest claims whether worthy or not. That said, the Lawrence PD has had a bad reputation itself for dealing with Ku athletics, trading violations for game tickets, and the like.
Crimes that occur on the university campus, at university sponsored events are in the jurisdiction of the university police force. They aren't rent a cops, they are a regular police force tasked with upholding the applicable laws.

isu83

May 5, 2010
Or just ban him because he is a ksu fan if he can't figure out the damn font!

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Has KU ever had such a bad year regarding run ins with the law? His criminal activity was the most NBA ready part of Jackson's game.

• Agree
Reactions: dtISU

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Crimes that occur on the university campus, at university sponsored events are in the jurisdiction of the university police force. They aren't rent a cops, they are a regular police force tasked with upholding the applicable laws.
That's the point, r'44. They shouldn't be tasked with doing criminal work beyond their capabilities. There's no way in hell the campus cop has the resources available to the city police.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
That's the point, r'44. They shouldn't be tasked with doing criminal work beyond their capabilities. There's no way in hell the campus cop has the resources available to the city police.

How do you know they don't work with them?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I can read.

So they said, we only use our resources not the lawrence PDs? And how do you know what resources they do or do not have? It is an actual police force not some rent a cop operation. I know you hate KU. But your hatred turns you into an idiot a lot of the time.

• Winner
Reactions: Raider

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
So they said, we only use our resources not the lawrence PDs? And how do you know what resources they do or do not have? It is an actual police force not some rent a cop operation. I know you hate KU. But your hatred turns you into an idiot a lot of the time.
Hate is a word I would limit to uses beyond Ku, but whatever.

There is nothing I have read that says the two departments, Ku and Lawrence, worked together in any way on this matter. Since I live in Manhattan, I can see how the K-State police and RCPD function. The latter have tools to deal with serious crime like rape of a 16 year old girl.

Last edited:

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2017/jun/01/district-attorney-requests-additional-testing-mcca/

The Douglas County District Attorney’s Office is seeking more testing in the case of a 16-year-old girl’s alleged rape at the University of Kansas men’s basketball dorm.

“In our review of that case, we have requested some secondary testing from the Kansas Bureau of Investigation. We are waiting on those results,” Cheryl Wright Kunard, assistant to District Attorney Charles Branson, said Thursday in an email response to a Journal-World inquiry.

Wright Kunard said she could not estimate how long the additional testing would take, and she declined further comment on the nature of the evidence being tested.