Earning potential / college choice

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
That is why I tell every smart kid I know going to college to at least get an engineering degree. Do a double major if they like, and have their other major be their real area of interest, but get that engineering degree. It is worth the effort. Learn to solve problems, and prove that you can handle a difficult curriculum.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
That is why I tell every smart kid I know going to college to at least get an engineering degree. Do a double major if they like, and have their other major be their real area of interest, but get that engineering degree. It is worth the effort. Learn to solve problems, and prove that you can handle a difficult curriculum.

and that's not even mentioning the opportunity to drive the train...

saf

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2006
Ames, IA

Agreed. Mechanical Engineer here doing absolutely no "true" engineering, but I went in to it to learn to solve problems and I use that every day.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
I’m super pleased about the results of the study but I’m surprised as EIU has a medical school and a law school; whereas, ISU does not.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I’m super pleased about the results of the study but I’m surprised as EIU has a medical school and a law school; whereas, ISU does not.

You know, this does kinda shoot some holes in one of the big theories about the difference in the athletic budgets of the two schools. You always hear the argument made that all the doctors and lawers make the big money and so the fanbase at eiu has more money to give than us. According to this data, that isn't really the case.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
You know, this does kinda shoot some holes in one of the big theories about the difference in the athletic budgets of the two schools. You always hear the argument made that all the doctors and lawers make the big money and so the fanbase at eiu has more money to give than us. According to this data, that isn't really the case.

I think, however, even though our average may be higher, the doctors and lawyers have larger earnings potential, on average, so you have possibility of bigger donors. This means that we need more people donating.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I think, however, even though our average may be higher, the doctors and lawyers have larger earnings potential, on average, so you have possibility of bigger donors. This means that we need more people donating.

Right, they have more people who make really high amounts of money compared to us. However, the difference in donations shouldn't be as large as it currently stands. :daydreaming:

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

So are you saying that you think there are some very very low earners holding down the average for EIU then? (You won't have much trouble selling me on that theory)

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
So are you saying that you think there are some very very low earners holding down the average for EIU then? (You won't have much trouble selling me on that theory)

That is sort of what I was implying, but your point is taken. We do have a lot of good professionals out there. Engineering is one of the best degrees to get a job out of the gate versus a general LAS degree.

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago

So since I don't have an engineering degree... I can't solve problems?:wink:

I should probably be fired from my job.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
From the article that goes with the chart

"With a liberal-arts degree, it's what you make of it," says Al Lee, director of qualitative analysis at PayScale. "If you're motivated by income, then there are certainly careers in psychology that pay as well as careers out of engineering."

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
So since I don't have an engineering degree... I can't solve problems?:wink:

I should probably be fired from my job.

Since you don't have a degree in engineering, however, you will never figure that out. :wink: Thanks to ISU's science and technology bent, all LAS programs are bathed in the goodness of problem-solving and dilligence. :biggrin:

That said, I am about to finish a PhD in theology, so you know I support the humanities.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
From the article that goes with the chart

"With a liberal-arts degree, it's what you make of it," says Al Lee, director of qualitative analysis at PayScale. "If you're motivated by income, then there are certainly careers in psychology that pay as well as careers out of engineering."

It's all about supply and demand. The supply for lib majors far exceeds engr majors, while the demand for engr majors far exceeds that of lib majors. Don't worry, the income tax discrepancy will level the playing field for you lib majors. For every extra dollar a lib major earns they will get to keep ~$0.85, while for engr it's like ~$0.65.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It's all about supply and demand. The supply for lib majors far exceeds engr majors, while the demand for engr majors far exceeds that of lib majors. Don't worry, the income tax discrepancy will level the playing field for you lib majors. For every extra dollar a lib major earns they will get to keep ~$0.85, while for engr it's like ~$0.65.

Haha, I'm not worried one bit... I wasn't aware of an extra tax for engineering grads though, glad I stayed away from that one.:wink:

Help Support Us

Become a patron