Lil Ferentz takes digs at ISU

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I personally think that is BS. There's only a few that could even remotely qualify as that. Todd from CR might have been slow played, but no one forced him to commit to a MAC school in April. He could have very easily came to camp and gotten a spot. Or waited it out into fall. That MAC offer would have probably been there then too. Ross from Dowling might be in the same boat...offer on the table but he's probably down the list some. The only other one could be Clark from SC. No one knows where he sits. Iowa had an offer out to him too and they've pretty much filled up on RBs. Maybe both schools have moved on from him or maybe he's just not saying anything. We don't know.

ISU recruits Dowling and CR Washington hard. They stuck with Vance from CR when no one else did due to grades. I really doubt that those coaches are upset with the ISU staff.
Dowling Coach had a lot of nice things to say about the ISU staff also.

• Agree
Reactions: CyclONE Nation

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Where do Iowa fans say Iowa is elite? I see this myth here often, but never actually see isu fans showing us where this takes place. The AP says Iowa is the 26th best football program since they started polls in the 1930's. I can live with that. Good but no where near elite.

I suggest you go read the "Fake ID of College Football" thread.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
I personally think that is BS. There's only a few that could even remotely qualify as that. Todd from CR might have been slow played, but no one forced him to commit to a MAC school in April. He could have very easily came to camp and gotten a spot. Or waited it out into fall. That MAC offer would have probably been there then too. Ross from Dowling might be in the same boat...offer on the table but he's probably down the list some. The only other one could be Clark from SC. No one knows where he sits. Iowa had an offer out to him too and they've pretty much filled up on RBs. Maybe both schools have moved on from him or maybe he's just not saying anything. We don't know.

ISU recruits Dowling and CR Washington hard. They stuck with Vance from CR when no one else did due to grades. I really doubt that those coaches are upset with the ISU staff.

Why did Todd need to "earn a offer" he already had one. Ross is the same thing, I don't get it. Why offer them if you don't want them? Iowa recruits kids all year and doesn't offer them. You don't have to offer to recruit a kid.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't think Campbell is doing anything differently in state than Rhoads did.
Nebraska always recruits well.
MN has done well with other coaches too.

My brother in-law (who is a hawkeye fan) is an AD in western IA and he has been blown away by what CMC and his staff have done over there. He said that CPR and his staff would reach out but they didn't physically visit and meet with small town schools face to face like our current staff. They focused on 3A and 4A schools and paid little attention to the smaller classes unless they were targeting a specific player.

Yes, Nebraska has always recruited well but they have also shifted their recruiting grounds since joining the B1G. Regarding MN, if you don't think that Fleck isn't going to cut into Iowa's recruiting you are nuts. People may not like the guy but the dude can flat out recruit. The main point is that guys Iowa typically targets are seeing an increase in competition. The earlier teams offer the farther it could put Iowa behind the 8 ball because they have a very methodical approach and it has worked really well for them. I'm not saying this is a certainty but I do think that Iowa will need to altar their approach.

Reactions: CyTwins

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Why did Todd need to "earn a offer" he already had one. Ross is the same thing, I don't get it. Why offer them if you don't want them? Iowa recruits kids all year and doesn't offer them. You don't have to offer to recruit a kid.
What about Jack Beneventi and Mike Bruner? come on don't be that guy.

• Agree
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
My brother in-law (who is a hawkeye fan) is an AD in western IA and he has been blown away by what CMC and his staff have done over there. He said that CPR and his staff would reach out but they didn't physically visit and meet with small town schools face to face like our current staff. They focused on 3A and 4A schools and paid little attention to the smaller classes unless they were targeting a specific player.

Yes, Nebraska has always recruited well but they have also shifted their recruiting grounds since joining the B1G. Regarding MN, if you don't think that Fleck isn't going to cut into Iowa's recruiting you are nuts. People may not like the guy but the dude can flat out recruit. The main point is that guys Iowa typically targets are seeing an increase in competition. The earlier teams offer the farther it could put Iowa behind the 8 ball because they have a very methodical approach and it has worked really well for them. I'm not saying this is a certainty but I do think that Iowa will need to altar their approach.

Fleck is recruiting hard but so have past Minnesota coaches. Iowa got two kids late last year from Fleck. One that was committed to Minnesota and Iowa lured away. And one kid that Fleck pressured into committing on a visit and then later backed out. Fleck is a hard sell guy and I think you will see a few decommits even from this year's class.
I think the last thing you do is become reactionary. You find what works for you and do it.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
And Iowa fans, and apparently coaches, would rather compare their "elite" football program to Iowa State and Minnesota. Why not go after Michigan, who according to your previous post has 194 current offers. It's the same thing with Iowa fans - they want to be in the conversation with the football elite, but won't schedule that way and steer the conversation about why they are better than perennial cellar-dwellars.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Well KF pretty much owns Michigan, won 5 out of the past 6 against the Wolverines.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
In all seriousness I think we are all smart enough to know that you have to offer more spots than you have. Kind of like the airlines. So the base of the conversation is that there is apparently a limit to the number of offers that are "the right way". After meeting with CMC multiple times, and CPR for that matter, I believe that we have and had guys that offer more than others, but also do it with a caveat. When our program isn't as low on the totem pole we will be able to offer less.

If we were a society that your word was gold, or a handshake was as good as ink, you could offer much less. But knowing that isn't reality will help our program in the future, not hurt it. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Fleck is recruiting hard but so have past Minnesota coaches. Iowa got two kids late last year from Fleck. One that was committed to Minnesota and Iowa lured away. And one kid that Fleck pressured into committing on a visit and then later backed out. Fleck is a hard sell guy and I think you will see a few decommits even from this year's class.
I think the last thing you do is become reactionary. You find what works for you and do it.

Fleck had just arrived!

There's a difference between being reactionary and keeping up with the times though. Look no further that CPR making fun of and refusing to use one of the most useful recruiting tools available...

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Don't forget "you absolutely cannot visit or look elsewhere but we will continue trying to poach other schools committed players."

And Iowa has to fight that on the recruiting trail I'm sure of it. ISU is now gonna have to fight the preception that they offer kids with no actual intent on taking their offer.

• Disagree
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Don't forget "you absolutely cannot visit or look elsewhere but we will continue trying to poach other schools committed players."

If the prospect tells the Iowa coaches they are 100% committed to another school and are closing down their recruitment, Iowa stops contacting them.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
And Iowa has to fight that on the recruiting trail I'm sure of it. ISU is now gonna have to fight the preception that they offer kids with no actual intent on taking their offer.

That's a weak take, even for you!

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Fleck had just arrived!

There's a difference between being reactionary and keeping up with the times though. Look no further that CPR making fun of and refusing to use one of the most useful recruiting tools available...

Ok he had just arrived. I am not sold on him yet. As I said there have been other guys that were recruiters that coached at Minnesota and that didn't turn out well for them. Their best hire was the guy that was actually a great coach but he had health problems.

Well there is a line but look at how Snyder recruits at KSU. He has developed the way he does things and sticks with it. You always evaluate and change things but you dont' want to change the identity of what you do. I think there is a problem with offering guys too early in football and both schools have found that out as have others. And more offers does not mean it is better.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Well KF pretty much owns Michigan, won 5 out of the past 6 against the Wolverines.

Then why doesn't Brian F. call out Jim Harbaugh? That would have made a way more compelling argument about recruiting and would have better proven Brian's point about offers. Michigan put the most players in the draft this year, so why not drop them down a peg and say that Michigan struggles to beat Iowa. Had Brian done that it would have been huge news in the state and probably even nationally - it would have been a great talking point that even Colin Cowherd probably would have liked.

Reactions: carvers4math