Dennis Dodd on Bill/Sean Snyder, the future of K-State

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I tend to think schools need to start banking some athletic money because these TV deals are going to blow up and we need to be prepared for it.

Can schools bank money and still act like non-profits? I thought that's why Texas kept building stupid stuff because they had to have that balance sheet show zero.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Can schools bank money and still act like non-profits? I thought that's why Texas kept building stupid stuff because they had to have that balance sheet show zero.
They can build "reserves," but it's highly unusual because everyone asks for the money.

In 2015, the Nonprofit Finance Fund’s State of the Sector report revealed that only 23 percent of those nonprofits responding had more than 6 months of cash in reserve. In fact the majority of the nonprofits responding reported that they had less than three months of operating reserves on hand. And 12 percent had less than thirty days.
https://www.councilofnonprofits.org/tools-resources/operating-reserves-nonprofits

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
They can build "reserves," but it's highly unusual because everyone asks for the money.

In 2015, the Nonprofit Finance Fund’s State of the Sector report revealed that only 23 percent of those nonprofits responding had more than 6 months of cash in reserve. In fact the majority of the nonprofits responding reported that they had less than three months of operating reserves on hand. And 12 percent had less than thirty days.
https://www.councilofnonprofits.org/tools-resources/operating-reserves-nonprofits
They could also retire debt early...

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Bohl is fine as long as you don't employ any female staff. There is a history there from when he was at Nebraska.

There is a reason that Wyoming was the best he could do after that crazy good run at NDSU.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
K-State already screwed up their coaching hire once with Ron Prince. Maybe I'm in the minority, but you let Snyder have what he wants.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Bill Snyder has more class and integrity than Bob Knight I would hope...he wouldn't quit in the middle of the year like Knight did just to give the HC job to his son.

I'm not so sure. I could see a Bo Ryan move early in the season due to health reasons. Actually gives the AD an out to see what Jr. can do.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Honest question. What makes Bill Snyder so successful? He doesn't seem all that sharp anymore in interviews. And the papers he carries around during games look like photos of the players with their numbers and names, not plays. Yet, you can't argue with his success, especially against us.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I think that Kansas State would be silly to at least not give his son a chance. They earned it. It's not like there is going to be a huge pool of excellent candidates to fill that spot.

Maybe it's not a "huge" pool, but there are several highly qualified and respected candidates with strong KSU ties that seem to be waiting for the opening. Did you not read the article?

The whole premise here is that it seems obvious to let the Wizard have the final say, but its going to be hard for the AD to not give the job to a better (from an outside perspective) candidate.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Ron Prince is a scary-looking dude. Why did they hire him, again?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
It will also be interesting to follow this development as it might relate to KF trying to position BF to take over at Iowa.

I say give the reins to both sons. Should be a hoot to watch it burn.

Especially if Barta ends up getting canned.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Honest question. What makes Bill Snyder so successful? He doesn't seem all that sharp anymore in interviews. And the papers he carries around during games look like photos of the players with their numbers and names, not plays. Yet, you can't argue with his success, especially against us.
Coach Snyder, who I know some and have followed since his first days here, well, he's cut from a different cloth. Here's what I see that makes him successful.
  1. He's absolutely driven. Works enormous hours proven by the fact that assistants have left because it was either K-State or their wife.
  2. He's a superb judge of talent and recruits then develops only those who buy into his values; if they don't, they're gone, e.g. Bryce Brown.
  3. His basic strategy is to play old. He loves pitting his men against your boys.
  4. He dominates Ku in every way possible.
  5. He's an offensive genius, playing and winning games some see, wrongly, as huge upsets, e.g. OU title game 2003 and the Texas series.
When then Michigan coach Bo Schembechler was asked about Snyder potentially going to K-State, Schembechler said, "Hire him, get him the f--- out of this conference." Coach is given far too little credit for his football tactics and strategies. Stoops says K-State is hardest to defend because they come at you in so many different ways. Snyder pioneered the run option and Wildcat formation with Heisman runner-up, Michael Bishop.

Last edited:

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, Bill Snyder is one of the greatest coaches in College Football history. Just take a close look at what Kansas State has been with him, then take a closer look at what they've been like without him. It'll be a sad day when he leaves, but at this stage in his life nobody will like down on him with his health. The guy is 77 after all! He brings a lot more good memories to us then that piece of **** Paterno. Thank you coach, good luck when you don't play us!

• Friendly
Reactions: surly

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I don't see this as an issue. An outside hire is never a sure thing. Even Elite schools like Michigan, Texas, Florida, USC and Notre Dame have made unsuccessful hires over the last decade.

IMO the ideal situation in any coaching search where a legend is replaced, is one of his top assistants gets the job. Who knows what it takes to be successful at a school, than a long time assistant at that school.

Why should bloodlines preclude Sean Snyder from getting the job. Seems to me Bill Snyder is not only a great evaluator of player talent, he is also a great evaluator of coaching talent. No way K-State has been this great based on only Bill Snyder. He's had great staffs as well. I'd give Bill the benefit of the doubt on hiring his son.

• Friendly
Reactions: surly

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Just take a close look at what Kansas State has been with him, then take a closer look at what they've been like without him.
Interesting facts to back you up, DHH1:
  • K-State has more winless seasons than any school in D1. Seven autumns State didn't win a single game.
  • K-State's next winningest coach, after Snyder's 202, was Mike Ahearn with 37. Ahearn coach from 1905-1910. They named a fieldhouse after him for that accomplishment and others.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: DaHiltonHaus1

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Wow - according to insiders like Phil Bennett, the AD and school president have Snyder to thank for their jobs - sounds like Sean will be HC. That's a shame for KSU - Jim Leavitt would be a slam-dunk success there.
To me the test here is: would any other P5 school hire said coach's son?

Not trying to derail the thread, but since you asked. Who's your money on when Fennelly retires? I'd like to see Frese come back but I'd bet dollars to donuts there will be a big push from inside the program to hire Billy. I know WBB is different than FB as far as visibility but we have a very similar situation.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Whatever happens I hope K state remains relevant.

I agree with this, not sure what happens in the next version of realignment roulette but possibly us and the Kanas schools might be bundled together.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron