Dennis Dodd on Bill/Sean Snyder, the future of K-State

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Should definitely be interesting to see what happens. It didn't go so well for them last time Snyder left and he can't coach forever.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
That's an interesting situation for sure. There's definitely some merit to having Sean continue the Snyder legacy, but at the same time, there are some great candidates out there that would likely jump at the chance.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
I am not sure it matters. Give it to Sean or bring in a new guy. I don't think anyone can achieve a similar level of success unless they catch lightning in a bottle. Hell, we had them whipped in Manhattan two years ago and they would not have gone bowling. They look to be very good this year, but there are already cracks in the foundation.

• Agree
Reactions: ArgentCy

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Wow - according to insiders like Phil Bennett, the AD and school president have Snyder to thank for their jobs - sounds like Sean will be HC. That's a shame for KSU - Jim Leavitt would be a slam-dunk success there.
To me the test here is: would any other P5 school hire said coach's son?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
This will test the mettle of our new athletics director. Generally, people down here do not favor Sean as the next coach. However, how do you go against the wishes of 'the Wizard,' when it comes to who should follow?

I really don't know. I'd be okay with Sean but much prefer Brent Venables or, secondarily, Jim Leavitt. I do want someone off 'the tree' though, i.e. not Craig Bohl.

Leavitt is 61. He has lobbied for the job. And
I can easily see K-State's former QB, now assistant coach Collin Klein stepping in following a decade with him. CK is a surefire head coach at some point in the future.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I do not see how you can pass on Leavitt or Venables if you have a shot at either of them. Each seems to have a special place in their heart for Manhattan.

One small aside, though, KSU's AD said they were "lean" at $72 million. I remember when ISU's athletic budget was $30ish million when I was a freshman in 2005 and Jamie Pollard had just came over from Wisconsin. My oh my how times have changed.

"Lean" now is double what it used to be in just a decade, assuming KSU and ISU are similar on these numbers, which I would imagine they have to be.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: cstrunk and surly

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This will test the mettle of our new athletics director. Generally, people down here do not favor Sean as the next coach. However, how do you go against the wishes of 'the Wizard,' when it comes to who should follow?
I think the real question to ask to give you a 'yes' or 'no' to Sean as HC is "Did Sean sell his soul to the devil for coaching success like his dad?" If the answer is 'yes' then HC Sean Snyder is a no brainer.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I do not see how you can pass on Leavitt or Venables if you have a shot at either of them. Each seem to have a special place in their heart from Manhattan.

One small aside, though, KSU's AD said they were "lean" at $72 million. I remember when ISU's athletic budget was $30ish million when I was a freshman in 2005 and Jamie Pollard had just came over from Wisconsin. My oh my how times have changed.

"Lean" now is double what it used to be in just a decade, assuming KSU and ISU are similar on these numbers, which I would imagine they have to be.

I tend to think schools need to start banking some athletic money because these TV deals are going to blow up and we need to be prepared for it.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Banking money is not within the mindset of academics and their 'use it or lose it' mentality. K-State has plenty of debt to pay. Doable easily today but, God forbid, a real challenge if State was ever to be booted from P5 conference level revenues. Ugh!

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

andyokstate

Mar 5, 2013
Back in the early 2000s, Eddie Sutton started mentioning his desire for Sean to take over the program once he retired. After a change in AD, that very scheme was worked out and we then had Sean Sutton, HC-in-waiting. It was only a mildly popular thing at the time. Almost everyone liked the idea of Sean coaching, but they wanted him to prove himself at Directional U, then come home. OSU and KSU are public universities, not sports kingdoms where one family as the say of the land (ok, we can argue that with Snyder and Boone and the like).

As you all know, the end of the Eddie era and the start/end of the Sean era were spectacular failures. The pressure to be the man after THE man is intense. "Sliding one chair over" is a huge change. Go cut your coaching teeth away from an environment insulated by your dad, and see how it goes.

In any case, I hope the wizard coaches another 10 years.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
It will also be interesting to follow this development as it might relate to KF trying to position BF to take over at Iowa.

I say give the reins to both sons. Should be a hoot to watch it burn.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I think that Kansas State would be silly to at least not give his son a chance. They earned it. It's not like there is going to be a huge pool of excellent candidates to fill that spot.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Back in the early 2000s, Eddie Sutton started mentioning his desire for Sean to take over the program once he retired. After a change in AD, that very scheme was worked out and we then had Sean Sutton, HC-in-waiting. It was only a mildly popular thing at the time. Almost everyone liked the idea of Sean coaching, but they wanted him to prove himself at Directional U, then come home. OSU and KSU are public universities, not sports kingdoms where one family as the say of the land (ok, we can argue that with Snyder and Boone and the like).

As you all know, the end of the Eddie era and the start/end of the Sean era were spectacular failures. The pressure to be the man after THE man is intense. "Sliding one chair over" is a huge change. Go cut your coaching teeth away from an environment insulated by your dad, and see how it goes.

In any case, I hope the wizard coaches another 10 years.
Meh, it worked just fine for Pat Knight...uh...nevermind.

Reactions: andyokstate