Summer Concert Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I hate your face. SO jealous.

Ryan Adams will be at Hinterland, so I'll see him. Going to Tom Petty in June, and Hinterland in August. Have a big project going on at work, so I'm missing Electric Six, Turnpike Troubadours, and some of the others I really wanted to see this summer.

would it be bad form to post pictures from the Ryan Adams show? I think ISUKendall is going to many of the same shows as I am.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
My wife and I are getting some bucket-list shows done this summer (shows to see before THEY kick the bucket):

June 14th -- Willie Nelson in South Bend
June 30th -- Paul Simon in Milwaukee (Summerfest)
July 21st -- Paul McCartney at Wells Fargo

We recently introduced our daughters (10 and 7) to the Beatles, and they've become pretty big fans. We haven't told them about the McCartney show yet. They'll flip out when we do.

We're also seeing Guster at Summerfest on June 29th. My wife is a HUGE Guster fan and has seen maybe 2 or 3 dozen shows.

Reactions: cyguy9320 and Angie

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Soundgarden in Council Bluffs on 5/12

Metallica in Newton on 6/9

In this Moment in Des Moines on 7/26

I will be there too and I'm more pumped to see Volbeat again than Metallica although I do like Metallica's new album.

Taking my 15yr old son to Green Day in Kansas City in August too.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
would it be bad form to post pictures from the Ryan Adams show? I think ISUKendall is going to many of the same shows as I am.

Post them! Then I'll be fired up for Hinterland.

I saw him probably... seven? eight? years ago when he was at Stephens. It was such a good show, and so low-key.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Sorry, serial responding.

So, where are you seeing Beck and NR & TNS? They both are on my bucket list.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I will be there too and I'm more pumped to see Volbeat again than Metallica although I do like Metallica's new album.

Taking my 15yr old son to Green Day in Kansas City in August too.

What sold me was Avenged Sevenfold. It'll be cool to see Metallica in concert but A7X is one of my favorite bands.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Sorry, serial responding.

So, where are you seeing Beck and NR & TNS? They both are on my bucket list.

We are blessed with soo many great spots for live shows it is crazy.

ISUKendall could tell you stories about a place near FtCollins called Mishawauka (sp?) that is great.

Last week, I saw NR&TNS at a benefit with several other artists at a 6000 seat arena (1st bank Center) that was originally built for minor league hockey, but is now a concert hall (have seen Oasis/Ryan Adams, Dave Matthews, Black Keys, Arcade Fire) We are hoping they host My Morning Jacket for 3 shows around New Years.

Beck and Ryan Adams (and the Shins) are all at Red Rocks.

Wilco is playing the parking lot at Coors Field for a Cycling Event.

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
We are blessed with soo many great spots for live shows it is crazy.

ISUKendall could tell you stories about a place near FtCollins called Mishawauka (sp?) that is great.

Last week, I saw NR&TNS at a benefit with several other artists at a 6000 seat arena (1st bank Center) that was originally built for minor league hockey, but is now a concert hall (have seen Oasis/Ryan Adams, Dave Matthews, Black Keys, Arcade Fire) We are hoping they host My Morning Jacket for 3 shows around New Years.

Beck and Ryan Adams (and the Shins) are all at Red Rocks.

Wilco is playing the parking lot at Coors Field for a Cycling Event.

That is all just so freaking cool. I have a friend/coworker who saw NR&TNS about a month and a half in CO, and she said that they were just amazing. I can only imagine them in a venue like the 1st Bank Center. That would be just the right size, I bet the entire place was on fire - that's actually a perfect venue for almost any of the acts you mentioned.

I think I need to rethink my geographical decisions. DSM has more indie stuff than you'd think, but nowhere near enough. I've even been scouting First Ave in MN just to get a little more variety.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
My concert lineup so far:

5/19 - Primus (Hoyt Sherman Place, Des Moines)
5/22 - Stone Sour, Green Death (Wooly's, Des Moines)
5/23 - Red Hot Chili Peppers (Wells Fargo, Des Moines)
5/25 - Everclear (Brenton Skating Plaza, Des Moines)
6/9 - Metallica, Volbeat, Avenged Sevenfold (Iowa Speedway, Newton)
7/8 - Hellyeah (Wooly's, Des Moines)
7/21 - Paul McCartney (Wells Fargo, Des Moines)
9/27 - Melvins (Wooly's, Des Moines)

It's going to be a great summer!

I'll be there for Hellyeah! Should be a great show.

Reactions: DeftOne

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
5/10 Barenaked Ladies at Hoyt Sherman. Heard they're excellent live, and it's a little slice of childhood.

Reactions: cyguy9320

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Sir Paul McCartney. It might be impossible to name a living person who has had a more profound impact on music in general........think of all the Beatles music covers you hear, up to and including in elevators. (Yeah, that's lame, but it's still out there.) The creativity that he and Lennon brought to popular music was unprecedented.

On a related note, still hoping for one of my jazz faves (Sypro Gyra? Gregg Karukas?) to be in the area this summer. Last heard Spyro Gyra at Simon Estes in 2004, and they were awesome.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The Saturday lineup at Hinterland
Gregory Allen Isakov and Blind Pilot at Nitefall on the River - some time in August

That's about it for this summer. Hoping to make another trip out to Red Rocks next summer, but it's not in the cards this year.

Hey @Angie , how about a Friday OT thread about best concert venues? If there are any hidden gems out there I'd love to know about them.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The Saturday lineup at Hinterland
Gregory Allen Isakov and Blind Pilot at Nitefall on the River - some time in August

That's about it for this summer. Hoping to make another trip out to Red Rocks next summer, but it's not in the cards this year.

Hey @Angie , how about a Friday OT thread about best concert venues? If there are any hidden gems out there I'd love to know about them.

I'm all over it - great idea!

Reactions: jbindm