MLB: 2017 Minnesota Twins Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I was at the game last night. The crowd was pretty happy. I think it took a little while for them to register that it was Mauer that hit it. They really want him to be good. The signs of improvement are a bit more favorable over the last week or so.

Mauer has never been a flashy player. People forget that. Singles aren't memorable and Mauer is a singles hitter.

I was one year below mauer in high school. He was not a typical athlete. First, because every thing he touched turned to gold and second, because he was a nerd. He'll be in the Twins HOF and for a few years was a lock for the MLB HOF. The Twins had no choice when they signed him. He literally allowed them to build their new stadium. Without Mauer I think Twins get contacted.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Mauer has never been a flashy player. People forget that. Singles aren't memorable and Mauer is a singles hitter.

I was one year below mauer in high school. He was not a typical athlete. First, because every thing he touched turned to gold and second, because he was a nerd. He'll be in the Twins HOF and for a few years was a lock for the MLB HOF. The Twins had no choice when they signed him. He literally allowed them to build their new stadium. Without Mauer I think Twins get contacted.

People also forget Mauer was offered a full ride at Florida State to play football. For a three or four year period, he was arguably the most valuable player in MLB, owing to the position he played. He even had breakout power year, but that was probably a statistical aberration.

I have no problem with him, or his attitude, or whatever. It's just that the Twins got painted into a corner with his contract, and really don't have any options. You are 100% right, though - had they not given him the deal (the Yankees were courting him heavily) the fan base would have revolted.

He has actually been hitting pretty well, but seems to hit a lot of "atom" balls - he hits 'em hard, but right at 'em. Eventually those shots will find holes. (I hope)

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Ordered my tickets for the Rockies - Twins series. Got row 4 in 103 for the wed. night game and for the thurs. day game I went all out and got a seat near the Rockies dugout (section 14 row 5)

target_field_seating.jpg

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Last I herd from the beat writers and listening to the new GM. They are looking at 2 guys. Don't have the the names off the top of my head though

If it's not Greene (which I think it will be), the Twins are also looking at collegiate RHPs- UNC's JB Bukauska, Vandy's Kyle Wright and UF's Alex Faedo.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Hated to see the Twins trade Danny Santana. He was one of my favorite Twins and trading him for a 29 year old pitcher who can't find the strike zone isn't much of a team improvement.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

KezClone

Jun 30, 2006
Roland, IA
Hated to see the Twins trade Danny Santana. He was one of my favorite Twins and trading him for a 29 year old pitcher who can't find the strike zone isn't much of a team improvement.

What a puzzling statement. Everyone has their favorites, I guess, but Santana had a great rookie season and has done nothing since. Literally the Twins were better off not playing him that having him in the game.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
What a puzzling statement. Everyone has their favorites, I guess, but Santana had a great rookie season and has done nothing since. Literally the Twins were better off not playing him that having him in the game.

Not puzzling at all. Santana has shown he can hit .300 in the majors and can play all over the field. Agree that he hasn't shown much of late, but they guy they traded for hasn't shown anything and he's 3 or 4 years older. Santana would have been a valuable bench guy IMO. The other guy will never make it out of Rochester.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Ordered my tickets for the Rockies - Twins series. Got row 4 in 103 for the wed. night game and for the thurs. day game I went all out and got a seat near the Rockies dugout (section 14 row 5)

target_field_seating.jpg

That's awesome, have fun man! And smart move to know the Twins take the 1st base dugout for some reason.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Santana has shown he can hit .300 in the majors just as much as Kevin Chapman has shown he can have a 1.80 ERA as a reliever in the majors. Meaning they both did it in their first year in the bigs and have never gotten even close to replicating that production since and very likely never will.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Santana has shown he can hit .300 in the majors just as much as Kevin Chapman has shown he can have a 1.80 ERA as a reliever in the majors....

While those stats are accurate, Santana did it over 400 at bats while Chapman threw a total of 20 innings that year.
Hope I'm wrong on Chapman as the Twins need pitching, but he'll have tough time staying in the bigs throwing over 5 walks a game.

KezClone

Jun 30, 2006
Roland, IA
It was a junk for junk trade. What was surprising was that they got anything for Santana at all since they were about to let him go.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
That's awesome, have fun man! And smart move to know the Twins take the 1st base dugout for some reason.
Home team on the 1st base dugout is way more common. I always thought it was weird in the Metrodome that it was 3rd base side

• Disagree
Reactions: Dormeezy

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
If it's not Greene (which I think it will be), the Twins are also looking at collegiate RHPs- UNC's JB Bukauska, Vandy's Kyle Wright and UF's Alex Faedo.

The Pioneer Press is saying the No. 1 pick will either be the potential of Greene or the polish of 1B/P Brendan McKay from Louisville

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Well we won the series with you guys. You guys have some good young talent. Kind of sad to see how little the fans are showing up. In the two games combined I'd say there was only 15-20 K and there were more people at the noon game than the 6 pm make up game.

Berrios was nasty in that second game of the DH. Was around 70-65 percent of pitches thrown for strikes.

In the first game I was sitting by the Rockies dugout and got the flyball Charlie Blackmon caught for the last out of the 7th inning thrown to me. :)

Reactions: TakeCover

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Well we won the series with you guys. You guys have some good young talent. Kind of sad to see how little the fans are showing up. In the two games combined I'd say there was only 15-20 K and there were more people at the noon game than the 6 pm make up game.

won't defend the fans too much but the first was a make-up game during the day with half day notice and bad weather, and the second game was terrible weather, too.

we had season tickets in the dome and while the twins weren't super good then you could count on good weather. people would make the trip from South Dakota and Northern Minnesota for games because they knew it wouldn't be cancelled. With Target Field we've seen fewer "outstate" visitors.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone